Need advice about US Social Security with retirement in Malaysia.

Greetings, my wife and I are planning to retire in Georgetown.  I am a US citizen, she is a Malaysia citizen with permanent residence in the US.  We are planning to retire in about ten years and were just exploring things early so there are no surprises.  On top of two pensions, I will have savings from a 401k/403b and social security.  My wife will have a 401k and social security.  With her not being a US citizen though, it appears her payments would stop several months after leaving the US, so we had been considering her gaining US citizenship.  Was wondering if anyone else has faced this issue and had advice.  With our income and savings we will have no problem covering the financial requirements with MM2H.  We are also currently torn between renting a condo in a high rise versus buying a place such as in The Cove. It will just be the two of us and I am sure will be getting a live foreign domestic helper.  Thanks!

Hi there.  I am a US citizen, married to a Chinese Malaysian who had to give up citizenship when she came to US.  I loved Malaysia so much that once I learned about the MM2H under the old rules, I quickly had an agent help me get approved (pre-covid) and I got it in the nick of time before the changes.  It sounds like they will reduce the requirements.

I can't help you with your specific situation, but I just wanted to chime in that I too am investigating whether to buy a nice, sea view condo or just rent in Penang.  It seems like the prevailing advice is to rent since there is plenty of supply.  I am concerned about how condos there are reserved and potential maintenance issues down the road that paying rent may be worth it.  I will most likely rent first for a year while I learn the lay of the land and learn to drive and then if a great deal comes up I can then buy.  No hurry.

While Im not currently facing these issues they are nevertheless very interesting to me. Its completely new news that SCMedics wife, not being a citizen, cant receive SS benefits while outside US. Or maybe I missed something while previously reading about this.

To me, thats unwarranted unfairness and what I would do is have the SS go to a local US bank account and then just transfer to Malaysia as needed. I do that method already but Im a citizen. I DO remember this topic being discussed on another forum regarding expats in Ecuador but I cant remember details, only that there was a problem for people having SS sent abroad even though SS allows it. The problem was that SS can send to anyone provided the country and particular bank has an agreement with US about it and not all do. In any case, SS money is earned and yours and id fight and find the ways to receive it, and not accept not getting it. Having to become a citizen is a big step and i would do the workaround as I noted and be done with it.

@cvco Hello, from what I have read, Malaysia is not on the list of places in the agreement.  My wife didn't really care about her obtaining citizenship other than she has paid quite a bit into social security as a PR.  Once we retire in Malaysia, we will have no ties to the US other than I was born here and we both paid tons in taxes, so we have no interest in giving up what we have earned.  In about 9 years we plan to just get rid of  / sell off our non-personal belongings and start fresh with everything new in Georgetown.