Post-Covid-19 situation in the Philippines

Hello everyone,

The COVID-19 pandemic had a huge impact on the world, including on expats' lives. Travel restrictions, business closures, budget cuts, and health measures have created unprecedented challenges for those who have chosen to live in the Philippines.

Now that the pandemic is moderated, expats are adjusting to a new daily routine. So tell us, how is your expat life now:

Are there still any health measures in place in the Philippines? If so, what are they (wearing a mask, barrier measures, etc.)?

Have you noticed any changes in the population's habits or behavior after the pandemic?

What is your new work rhythm: do you still work remotely or are you spending more time in the office?

Have you changed your spending habits? If so, which ones?

Despite this pandemic and its consequences, how do you see your future in the Philippines?

Do you have any advice for other expats and future expats on this new daily life in the Philippines?

Thank you for your contribution.
Mickael
Expat.com team

@Mickael I have noticed that in the Dumaguete area, while the pandemic forced many people on extended tourist visas to leave, not that many have returned. That keeps prices like rental down. I wonder if those people just gave up and switched to Mexico or S. America.

Hi Mickael. Good questions. Being infected by Covid 19, when it first came out in NYC, was the worst illness I ever had in my entire life. There were no vaccines because no one knew what it was. I lost 18 pounds in 10 days and was completely bedridden. I am now fully vaccinated, including boosters.

Your questions.

Are there still any health measures in place in the Philippines? If so, what are they (wearing a mask, barrier measures, etc.)?

Wearing a mask in Mindanao is no longer mandatory. However, some people still use them.

Have you noticed changes in the population's habits or behavior after the pandemic?

People in Mindanao are more comfortable socializing with each other now.

What is your new work rhythm: do you still work remotely or spend more time in the office?

I've worked remotely for over 15 years. However, my workload increased. When the pandemic hit, my job was to situate people to allow them to continue to work remotely. We are talking in the thousands: mostly medical front-line responders and government workers.

My spending habit changed from knowing the difference between a want and a need. For example, I "want" a mint condition classic mustang from the '60s. But I "need" food. These changes come with age.

Despite this pandemic and its consequences, how do you see your future in the Philippines?

My future in the Philippines is not dependent on the pandemic. It's dependent on my ability to make a cultural adjustment.

Do you have any advice for other expats and future expats on this new daily life in the Philippines?

Share your knowledge with others. I've learned so much from people here and on other sites.

Lone Wolf NY

Hi, Mikael. Good questions. As I arrived permanently in the Philippines during the height of the pandemic, I can't comment much on the difference in day-to-day life before and after. But where we live (uptown area of CdO), everything has gotten much more crowded - traffic, malls & stores, restaurants, etc. And lots of construction.

As noted by LoneWolfNY, masks are no longer required in most places, but a surprisingly large percentage of people here continue to wear them.

For your last question, I would say that daily life can differ greatly depending on where you live in the Philippines. Costs, air/water quality, transportation, culture, language ... everything. My advice is to visit your intended destination for at least a few weeks before making a  final decision.

-- Rich

Myself during Covid restrictions, I did  a lot of grocery shopping online (Metromart). I liked it very much and I still use them today. I order my items and have them delivered the next day between 8 & 9 am.

The incurred charges are less than a round trip with Grab. For major shopping (P15,000) I then visit S&R or Landers.

If you are an S&R member you pay the in store price on Metromart. If they are out of an item, the shopper will call you with suggestions.

I was a over the road trucker during the pandemic. I never stopped working. In fact I was forced to cancel my trip to Cebu because of the lockdown. So I kept working. Seven days a week, 12-14 hrs per day for basically the entire year. Nine days off total. During the major part of the US lockdown I, and thousands of other truckers absolutely LOVED the empty and safer highways. While we were working our asses off to get products delivered, the not having to worry about traffic was huge.

I got my vaccinations around the country, while on the road. Las Vegas for #1, Seattle for #2, Missoula, Montana for booster. A

As the lockdowns in states subsided, it was initially a subdued opening, but people were getting out, wearing masks everywhere. I had very little contact with people. I cooked in the truck. I would see a shipper or receiver at distance, maybe once a day, and often I got fuel every other day without talking to anyone.

When Phils opened up I immediately booked a flight for a month in Cebu, last May. Masks required the entire 19 hrs flight. I hadn't worn one for more than minutes at a time since it all started because I wasn't around people. Did my month in Cebu, not knowing for sure when retirement date was coming. But Cebu required masks still, even outside. I semi complied. Did not like wearing outside, and rarely did, unless around a crowd.

Now that I'm here and officially retired, I'm seeing things just now swiftly coming up to speed. Sure some businesses didn't survive. Those doors are closed still. But I am seeing plenty of business and crowds around major places. Like Landers, S&R, and the public market and stores around Argao. Busses are full too.

It's all review mirror now from my eyes.

My wife and I retired to her home barangay pre-pandemic in April 2019.  We built our retirement house and visited the USA for Christmas that year.  It was only a couple of months after we returned when COVID became prevalent in the news.  April 1st, 2020 began a two-week barangay lockdown where no one over 60 was supposed to leave.  Masks became mandatory always and everywhere.  The next several months were a pain but the traffic in Kalibo was non-existent, which was great.

Are there still any health measures in place in the Philippines? If so, what are they (wearing a mask, barrier measures, etc.)? Three years later and masks are now only required in medical facilities and on public transportation.  I'm never in either, so we haven't worn a mask in months.  Most store personnel seem to still be required to wear masks, but most stores have removed the barriers erected during the pandemic.

Have you noticed any changes in the population's habits or behavior after the pandemic?  A lot of people still wear masks when not required, especially young HS-age girls.  I asked why and found out they are shy about their smiles.  It's not a fear of COVID.  Well, alrighty then.  Very few adults in non-retail or transit positions wear them anymore.

What is your new work rhythm: do you still work remotely or are you spending more time in the office?  I'm retired so this doesn't particularly apply to me.

Have you changed your spending habits? If so, which ones? No change other than reducing our electric bill by installing solar panels.

Despite this pandemic and its consequences, how do you see your future in the Philippines? Unchanged.  We retired here and I fully expect that when my day comes this is where I'll die.

Do you have any advice for other expats and future expats on this new daily life in the Philippines? Other than the occasional need to mask up, life here is pretty much the same as pre-pandemic, at least out in the province where we live.  As for folks moving here, the original pre-pandemic advice still stands.  Slow way down, and lower your expectations about nearly everything except the cold beer and warm women.   1f609.svg

Just came back from a trip to Batangas, asawa bought some land and will be building soon. Worked from home during pandemic, then back to work, and shortly after retired, all in the US. Had all the boosters and vaccines but caught COVID later on, mild strain it seems, was shorter than the flu.

Condo rental in BGC (just wanted to see what all the fuss is about)--it's like Singapore but with more pretentiousness lol. Condo rental in Tagaytay also. COVID cleaning routines in place. Saw many signs for no entry without mask at establishments but not followed, signs weren't changed or taken down, you know how that goes.

Have you noticed any changes in the population's habits or behavior after the pandemic?

Retail workers wear masks. PAL enforces mask wearing, some other airlines dont. We dont wear them.

What is your new work rhythm: do you still work remotely or are you spending more time in the office?

Retired now

Going out to eat more often than during COVID, but in the US, not planning to eat out that much in PH

Same as before, retiring here. Many foreigners put their moving plans on hold during COVID but now many are coming to PH to buy/build, from what I'm hearing.

It will help if you already are immersed in the culture before you come, such as through spouse or family/friends, and also the food lol. Took a long time to warm up to the food here but love it now, not all but much of it. Think of the phrase "Only in the Philippines" when you see strange things happen that are counterintuitive, such as repairing your motorcycle in the middle of the street, standing on the street side. Poor people have the most fun and the most accepting attitude. Watch the many Youtube videos on living as a foreigner in PH

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : We are not debating about the vaccine
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@Filamretire

Condo rental in BGC (just wanted to see what all the fuss is about)--it's like Singapore but with more pretentiousness lol.

You nailed it!

@Lotus Eater I like BGC. Any idea what a typical condo costs there? Thanks.

@Filamretire You're right about the poor people in the Philippines. They are full of life, smiles, and happiness. That alone makes them wealthier than us.

"You can't miss what you never had!" 1f600.svg

Lone Wolf NY

Staying in Puerto Princesa atm, I traveled from Mindanao to Manila to Palawan back and forth. Most established don't require the wearing of masks except for air travel. The cost of living has gone up but is not surprisingly high. I've been working remotely for 3 years, most people I know here are back in the office (maybe depending on the employer).

The only remaining restrictions I'm aware of in Biliran province is the 10 pm curfew and mask requirements in the schools. The police would actually patrol earlier in the pandemic. My father in law had to pay a P250 fine for stepping outside the gate without a mask. It wasn't long before the PNP were back to business as usual, only setting up an occasional check point.

I arrived during the pandemic so for pre-pandemic behavior I would have to go back to my 2014 visit. The main difference is the ever increasing population.

I'm retired so no work rhythm to interrupt.

My spending habits have yet to be established. The building projects have just recently been completed so now I will see how much money is actually required for me to live here.

My future in the Philippines is not 100% certain but barring anything unforeseen I plan to live out my remaining days right here in the little paradise we've built for that purpose. Happiness for me is more of a state of mind than a geographical location but a good geographical location can enhance my state of mind.

My advice to those considering a move to the Philippines is to spend some time here to make sure it is what you want. It is good to be tolerant of the noise and heat and to be polite and respectful of the natives. If you are a rude person who likes to complain this may not be the place for you. Get all your visas, dual citizenships etc. taken care of in your home country if possible. Don't plan on making a living here unless you have something lined up. If all that checks out make sure your are up to date on your vaccinations and schedule a physical exam.

I still wear a face mask and carry a travel size bottle of alcohol spray. Mostly because personal hygiene is extremely important to me, and i don't trust the lack thereof of many Filipinos (specifically men who neglect to wash their hands after taking a piss in public bathrooms).

I live in the Province - about 90 minutes north of Manila.  The ,majority of people do not wear facemasks anymore here. It has been about a month since I've been to any of the large Malls, and from what i remember, it is no longer a requirement to be wearing one upon entering.  Thankfully, the parents of children do seem to enforce this, however. I rarely see any children without wearing a facemask, and i do think this is a good thing, as children are more susceptible to illnesses or even catching the common cold from their classmates.

In Manila, the same is true if not more so. I don't recall seeing very many people at all wearing facemasks.

@danfinn Of course depends on what size  you want. Rule of thumb for BGC/Makati is about 1K peso for every square meter.  I looked on line before replying to you and a range of high quality condos from 30K for a studio to 50K for a 2 bed

Hello members.  As a follow up question I'd like to ask anyone who knows are the jabs still REQUIRED if a hair cutter wanted to get a job in a Salon in Manila / Quezon City?  Thank you in advance,

Sean