Hygiene Problems

Someone on another forum stated that Cambodia has a hygiene problem and because of this it is necessary to "de-worm " for parasites, etc. I haven't ventured there but plan to later this year with my options for relocation. and Just an inquiry about ex-ats that have been living there for a while, on this subject, thanks....Arthur H.

I have never heard of this deworming thing, in the 3 years I have lived here. Maybe out in the villages maybe? Certainly not in cities.  I recall dogs having worm pills back in New Zealand,  but that's all.

The locals have historically had a problem with worms, and it's tied to going on the ground with bare feet and also bad hygiene as you mention. The schools periodically give the kids de-worming pills.

I've been coming here for 8 winters, always wear sandals (so my feet aren't always pristine), and never had any hint of a problem. Nor have I dealt with Khmer who live a dirty existence, so I think the problem is more in the rural (and uneducated) areas.

@12HourChange yes you could be right. People can get worms from walking in bare feet on dirty areas, or kids playing with mud and earth.  Always wear footwear and wash hands regularly,  especially in the countryside areas.

Thanks for the inputs, often I think some can be a bit into drama on certain subjects and we all should consider the source before any rash judgments. I for one can't wait to arrive there and experience SR's living style. No place is perfect except perhaps on some very distant planet far, far, far, away.1f47d.svg1f644.svg