Moving to Pakistan from UK in 2023

Hi all, I've seen a few posts on this site about people considering moving to Pakistan before Covid.

I'm Pakistani (British born) and so is my wife. We have a 2yr old son.

I've never been to PK but my wifes been a few times growing up.

I'm a university lecturer and PhD holder, and can do remote work, and thinking of setting up a base in PK to go few months of the year (spend the winters there). Son will probably be home schooled with online tutors.

Main reason for going is for better weather, preserve deen, expose son to different style of live and to be grateful for what he has and to make a base for other family members to visit us (I have some family in Jordan and Saudi).

My questions are:

1) Would you consider buying property there, or renting? What is the approx rent for a 3 bed apartment in Islamabad or Lahore? If I purchase land, is it difficult and complex to have a house made?

2) What is the internet connection like in Islamabad and Lahore, especially in terms of remote working in UK

3) What is the approximate income needed to survive in PK? For me, wife and son - decent life style, not extravagant but not so simple either.

4) I have heard that there are lots of scammers in PK. I guess the same could be said for anywhere. There are good and bad people everywhere, and we'll only get whatever is in our kismat at the end of the day. But, is it really as bad and unsafe as some of the elders in the PK community living in UK make it out?

5) Any further advice.

Thanks everyone!

@h6byu786 .

Brother these 10 years please please please dont thinking about coming to pakistan and worling etc something else .

Pakistani govt no have stable next 10 years also security sechation .

Thanks .

Hi all, I've seen a few posts on this site about people considering moving to Pakistan before Covid.
I'm Pakistani (British born) and so is my wife. We have a 2yr old son.

I've never been to PK but my wifes been a few times growing up.

I'm a university lecturer and PhD holder, and can do remote work, and thinking of setting up a base in PK to go few months of the year (spend the winters there). Son will probably be home schooled with online tutors.

Main reason for going is for better weather, preserve deen, expose son to different style of live and to be grateful for what he has and to make a base for other family members to visit us (I have some family in Jordan and Saudi).

My questions are:

1) Would you consider buying property there, or renting? What is the approx rent for a 3 bed apartment in Islamabad or Lahore? If I purchase land, is it difficult and complex to have a house made?

2) What is the internet connection like in Islamabad and Lahore, especially in terms of remote working in UK

3) What is the approximate income needed to survive in PK? For me, wife and son - decent life style, not extravagant but not so simple either.

4) I have heard that there are lots of scammers in PK. I guess the same could be said for anywhere. There are good and bad people everywhere, and we'll only get whatever is in our kismat at the end of the day. But, is it really as bad and unsafe as some of the elders in the PK community living in UK make it out?

5) Any further advice.

Thanks everyone!
-@h6byu786

If you plan to live in Pakistan for the rest of your life, and you have the disposable income to buy a home. Then I would say buy the home. But if you only plan to spend a few years on and off then it won't matter if you plan to rent or not.

If you buy the land it is not difficult to get the complex made. You will have to find good workers who are experienced and know what they are doing. Otherwise you will have many issues with your house such as cracking foundation, and walls, and many things will be uneven, and wiring won't be correct, plumbing won't be correct, etc.

That depends on where you want to rent in Islamabad or Lahore. If you want to rent in the ghetto then you can find a place for 100 USD a month. If you want to rent in the diplomatic enclave in Islamabad you will be paying 500-1,000 USD a month for a 3 bedroom there. You can try Baharia town, or Defense. And it will cost you about 300-500 USD a month for a 3 bedroom there. But prices are always changing in Pakistan.

We don't know your lifestyle so it is hard to say. But bills such as electricity is super expensive. Most Pakistanis are getting Eletric bills that are more then their monthly paychecks. The load shedding was solved for only a short while and now the government is back to doing it for electricity, and gas. I would say you could survive on 1,000 USD a month and live a comfortable life style. But if you want a luxurious lifestyle you will need more then that.

Yes it is very dangerous right now to live in Pakistan, and most foreigners and even dual national Pakistanis have left and refuse to go back. After the floods happened it forced millions into the cities with no money, etc and even the flood victims are not safe from criminals with them robbing the flood victims, and raping them, and kidnapping them.

Then the economic collapse happened, and millions of more people lost their jobs. If you go to Pakistan now you can even see children eating out of trash trying to find scraps of food because their parents can afford to feed them. The situation in Pakistan is dire, and not a good one currently, and will probably take a few years to resolve if not longer. Also now you have the renewed assault by the government on different rebel groups that have started a whole new civil war in the country, and a lot of that information is oppressed and doesn't make it to the news.

Scammers will be the least of your worries. Since there is many kidnapping groups, etc. But scammers are huge in Pakistan maybe not as bad as India but they are up there. They come from all over, and try all types of different scams. Or outright steal from you when they have the chance.

@h6byu786

It does not seem to be good idea to move back. Currently for last 75 years ARMY had destroyed the law and order situation, even now crooks are in power, No judiciary system, No protection.

@Mumtaz Ahmad86 Interesting, thank you for sharing. Shame that this is the situation.

@Randomguy2000 Thank you for your insightful feedback! It is much appreciated. I understand it's dangerous at the moment, so your message has definitely made me think about various considerations before moving. I think I'll visit a few times to scope out the country and then only move if I can find a safe destination.

@faizee5252 Thank you for your insight