What kind of bike would work for me ?

Hi, I am an American living in Hong Kong for 26 years. i am married to a filipino. We have a house in Cauayan but live in HK. After coming to the Philippines many times I am thinking about getting a motorcycle. I have a big bike in the USA and wonder what kind of bike would work for me in the Philippines. I think the small ones i see in the provinces are too small, but the big ones are hard to get and hard to maintain unless i do all the maintenance myself.

So i would love to hear how other westerners deal with big bikes in the province and if driving is a problem.

Regards,

Stu

@stuleer

There was a recent blog by Paul in Dumaguete 'Old Dog New Tricks' that specifically addressed this issue which you should check out.

One of our regular contributors pnwcyclist I know is a keen biker and I'm sure will contribute to this thread in due course.

Hi Stu, welcome.

I've had lots of motorcycles (I am also an avid bicyclist) - anything on two wheels is more fun for me. Have a 1200 BMW stateside and right now only two scooters here in the PI - a Honda XRM that one of the boys uses to get to school and a Yamaha Mio 125 that we use to run around our small local town.. We have a car also which we use to go on longer trips and taking the other boy to school. We've built a home on another island and go back and forth, so it is just more practical for the things we do (and the AC is nice).

A lot of it boils down to where you live and what you're wanting to do. The scooters are fine in town - lightweight, maneuverable, easy to get on and go, can carry stuff, etc. But they don't feel comfortable over 50-60kmh. I have been thinking about a bigger bike again (400-650cc), as anything else is ridiculously overpowered and too cumbersome for the tight roads, small parking spots, dirt roads, etc. The reason is I would like to begin touring again on the island we live on (Negros) as it has many beautiful roads and highways.

When I first lived in the Philippines (Cebu City) in 2015 I bought a Kawasaki 650 "big bike" - the naked version of the Ninja 650, and it was a fantastic bike - plenty of power for local conditions on the island. We mostly took road trips, as I did not like riding it in the congested city. I eventually sold it as I felt there were too many close calls - people passing in the oncoming lane, erratic drivers, being crowded in the city by the other motorbikes, etc. It would have been perfect for where I am now, where we can easily access nice roads without too much traffic.

Later, when I lived on the island of Panglao I owned a Rouser 200 for awhile, but quite frankly, after the 650, the lack of guts was really disappointing. There is a larger class of scooters - the 150-160's and even 300's that would do better on the open road and still be handy enough in town - Honda ADV and NMAX come to mind. One could tour on them but it would be a stretch in my opinion. So the bike I will probably get will be either another Kawi 650 or the Dominar 400 which is a full size bike made in India by their subsidiary. It is also an excellent bike although a single cyl.. Both will have plenty of speed for PI roads and conditions, especially the 650. The Suzuki SV650 is also available but more money, as is the Honda CX500. I feel the midsize twins have plenty of power.

If you are up north of Manila in Cauayan, you probably also have some really nice roads, and I would probably recommend one of those  bikes if you are going to do any longer rides at all. Servicing is not a problem at the dealer or do it yourself after the first one, which should always be done at dealer, imho, for warranty purposes.

Keep in mind that if there is an accident, there is not going to be a Life Flight helicopter coming to get you, even an ambulance in Philippines takes time to get there and get you to a hospital. That is why I eventually sold mine - Cebu was too crowded and congested and the roads out of the city very slow going, and it would take hours to get to a hospital if something did happen. We always ride big bikes with full protective (mesh) gear, just like at home.

Hope this helps, feel free to respond back with any further questions - it's a topic I enjoy, lol.

Hi and thanks for all your info.  i have a big bike in USA, but understand the big differences in the Phil. Not so sure it would be easy to negotiate a big bike in the small towns. I also wonder if I'd ever get the bike out of first gear, haha.........I was originally thinking of getting a Kaw z1000r. I just miss riding. But, I do not live there full time. I am in Hong Kong and go to our house in Cauayan once a year for about one month. This year the weather during Dec- Jan was fantastic. I would have been able to wear full gear very comfortably.

I won't be making a move on this until end of the year so i still have time to flip a coin on bike size.

Regards,

Stu

I have my eye on a Rusi 250i Classic, just have to convince my wife that I need one.

-- Double post --

I have my eye on a Rusi 250i Classic, just have to convince my wife that I need one.
-@Moon Dog

Those look really nice, love the knobby tires and scrambler look.

do you think a 650cc would be ok for driving around the province?

Absolutely. That was my recommendation IF you are planning to do some longer rides on decent roads. The added power will be helpful on the open road but the bigger you go the more top heavy and unwieldly they become in crowded or rough situations. There is NO SITUATION in the Philippines where a 650 will be underpowered - trust me. There are no fast open roads, other than a couple expressways, and on most provincial highways and roads there are too many erratic and unpredictable drivers and obstacles to allow speeds of over 100-110kmh. My 650 would hit 120 in a heartbeat.. only to run out of straightaway.. and have to slow down. Or a dog. Or a truck. Or a tricycle...

For just running around the province, a smaller bike or scooter will be better and easier to handle. If the roads are bad, an XRM or an ADV150 which have better tires and clearance. Or maybe that Rusi 250 which is a scrambler.

Really, would need to know what you plan to use it for and what the roads are like up there - I'm in the Visayas.. and I'm just guessing at this point.

i have only been driving around the crowded commercial areas in Cauayan but would not be doing that in a bike. As you say, lots of crazy crowded areas. I guess much of the bike driving would be out of the commercial zones and into the more open country. I have driven my car (SUV) in those areas in order to take my wife food shopping etc. and have no problem dealing with any road condition.

I would probably go more to the exploration side of traveling. We are 9 hours from Manila by car. Some of the roads seem to be ok, but some absolutely and with dogs. So i get that part, haha. I don't think i would be doing any long road trips as I don't know anyone to do that with. Not sure if my wife would dare to ride on the back of a bike, haha.

I am not familiar with the Visayas. When i get back home today i'll check it out on the computer.

@pnwcyclist i can see you are very south. Can i ask why you moved there? I moved to Cauayan because my wife was from there. The infrastructure seems to be improving year to year.  Would nice to see some improvement with the drivers too, haha.

-@Moon Dog
Those look really nice, love the knobby tires and scrambler look.
-@pnwcyclist

It would be considered a really small bike in the States but in the Philippines, this is a hog.

Reminds me of early British bikes. My first two motorcycles were BSAs. It is going for P93K at the local Rusi dealer.

dWT9qL.jpg

Sure.. my girlfriend/partner is here, haha. Met her several years ago in Cebu City. So all our time together has been living around the Central Visayas region - mostly Cebu, but also Panglao, Dumaguete, etc.

I've spent very little time on Luzon although have been to the region around Taal Volcano and Tagaytay. Never further north than Manila. We generally take trips to other countries in Asia but it would be nice to do a few weeks or a month up north exploring. I have always wanted to go to San Juan and the region in the very far north.

Yep, Moondog, that's the one. I had a neighbor for a couple months who had one, and he and his wife rode all over on it. They did not have a car. He had a hog back in the States.

Hey Stu... I have a Victory Jackpot in the states... but here in Tag Ulo, Mindanao, We have a Honda PCX 160, and she has a Honda Beat... I would not want my bike here... I would never get it out if 1st with all the stop and go here.   I love the PCX... is a great bike, and was only 125,000... so affordable as well. 

hey Wellsfry, sounds great. thanks for the input.

got a question about roads and driving. What is the deal with the right lane? Can i drive either lane legally?  Can i pass legally in either lane? Some tricycles are in both lanes, some going slow and some going fast.

Some bikes zigzag back and forth. i suspect it only becomes a problem in an accident. Last month i was driving in my SUV in the fast lane and a ford pickup truck came from the right lane trying to get by me and in front of me. In his attempt to get in front of me he tore off my front bumper. The police came and he was guilty party and ended up paying for my repairs. The police said he was in the wrong cause he tried to pass me and cross in front of me.

So I am assuming that things end up a certain way depending how much you can get away with.

another question i have is what kind of insurance do you or can you get for motorcycle riding?

another question; i suppose if I want a big bike i would need to purchase it in Manila. Can i then have the bike delivered to me in Cauayan? I assume it's just a matter of money to have that done?

got a question about roads and driving. What is the deal with the right lane? Can i drive either lane legally? Can i pass legally in either lane? Some tricycles are in both lanes, some going slow and some going fast.
Some bikes zigzag back and forth. i suspect it only becomes a problem in an accident. Last month i was driving in my SUV in the fast lane and a ford pickup truck came from the right lane trying to get by me and in front of me. In his attempt to get in front of me he tore off my front bumper. The police came and he was guilty party and ended up paying for my repairs. The police said he was in the wrong cause he tried to pass me and cross in front of me.

So I am assuming that things end up a certain way depending how much you can get away with.

another question i have is what kind of insurance do you or can you get for motorcycle riding?
-@stuleer

Passing on the right is nuts, whether it is "legal" or not. That's where most of the conflicts occur - from stopped jeepneys, tricycles, cars shooting out to make a right turn without stopping, dogs, pedestrians, etc. And if you are passing on the right you have nowhere to go when a conflict occurs, as there is a vehicle to your left. Most of the drivers here are untrained, and like most Filipinos, they do not think ahead - especially about consequences. They get away with it for awhile then die or get seriously injured. I have seen several dead motorcyclists in my time here. Seriously.

As to insurance, get the type of coverage you would in a civilized country. Good liability and medical, in case you hurt someone, and something to cover the bike. Do not rely on the minimal coverage that comes with a new bike. I have an excellent agent in Cebu, but you would be best served with an agent in your region. If you want, PM me and I will ask them for a referral.

As to where to buy the bike, there are "big bike" dealers in most major cities. Manila, Cebu, Davao, Dumaguete, etc. They will deliver, but why not pick it up and have a fun ride back?

as to your point, driving on the right. I just figure it's just a matter of time for some of them to die. It is crazy. I've been around for awhile and have had my share of accidents...........but that was in the USA. In the Phil it is crazy, haha. But I still want to ride, haha. Thanks for all your shared advice........I appreciate it.

Agree, it's rafferty's rules here but been in worse countries, Greece to me was the worst to date.

Though the traffic here is a debacle it does work, slow, lots of horn blowing, counter flowing, I have a land cruiser so you give way to me etc.

We have an SUV and 2 small bikes, the Mio and the Honda XRM and fine for local stuff but I would want more CC's for longer trips.

Ben just got rid of the MIO (only 4 years old from new) and got a Raider then a week later told me it's a great bike but no where to put the shopping. Take the car then,,,,,, but there's nowhere to park, lol, Your choice sport, you changed the bike not me.

My big bike days are gone the same as surfing and other things, have enough trouble getting on a small bike these days with crook knees and back and worse getting into a taxi, need the higher SUV.

As to the OP's question about driving in the right lane/shoulder is that some dudes passing you on the right or the fools that counter flow looking for a head on?

I have seen 5 lane roads in Manila in peak hour pay no attention to the 5 lanes, they become 6 lanes and the bikes extending that to 7 and 8 lanes, crazy it is but seems to work through all the horn blowing.

Happy that I don't get out so much these days. To the OP. Enjoy your choice.

Cheers, Steve.

Struleer writes, "as to driving on the right .. in the Phil it is crazy, haha. But I still want to ride" -@stuleer

`

Crazy traffic in Rome, my wife asks the driver about on-coming cars

He replies, "Si Ma'am, here in Italy, traffic-lights are only suggestions."

Yes P1, Rome can be bad but you should try Athens. Manila has mayhem that seems to work, Athens the traffic can come to a standstill because of egotistical drivers.

Cheers, Steve.

You can buy a Harley in Cebu. I was checking prices and a Fat Boy goes for P1,490,000. I bought a brand new Fat Boy in 1999 for about $14,500 USD. The 2023 model looks a lot like the one I had but mine was 80 cubic inch and the one in Cebu is 114 cubic inch. They have a line up of Sportsters on their website that look nothing like Sportsters. My last Harley was a Street Glide and I don't see any of those in their inventory. My claim to fame is the guy who built the Harley dealership building in Cebu also built my house.

My wife wanted to learn to ride a motorcycle (bad idea) so I bought her a Rusi Rush which is a 125 cc scooter. Just hit the start button and go, no shifting gears. It costs P48K out the door and has a 13 month warranty and free oil changes and tune ups for life. I started her training on my folding ebike which operates like the scooter, but a little harder to balance since it has smaller wheels. She dumped the ebike in the front yard and bruised her shin so now she is out of the notion and gave me the scooter.

The Rush is a nice bike for the money and it has surprising pep for a 125 (must be the light weight), but I would rather have the 250 Classic. The Rush has about 50 kms on the clock and I plan to take it out to the local Rusi dealer tomorrow if it stops raining and ask what they will give me on a trade in for the 250. The 250i goes for P93k but there is a carbureted model that is a little cheaper.

@Moon Dog

That's a great looking Bike!

It reminds me a lot like the Honda Rebel CMX500, a very handsome, godly looking bike. small as well by American standards, but is considered to be a real badass of a motorbike here in the Philippines.

I was very serious about wanting to get one prior to the Pandemic lockdown, to the point of nearly being obsessed about it.

it sells for upwards of 250,000.00php

https://www.mcnews.com.au/honda-cmx-500 … view-test/

Great looking bike Kristopherryanwatson!

@kristopherryanwatson That Honda is one of the better looking liquid cooled bikes I've seen and sounds like it has good performance to boot. I had a Yamaha Grizzly 4 wheeler and a Yamaha 400 Majesty scooter which were both liquid cooled but the engines weren't visible. Honda did a good job designing that bike but I don't need Honda quality since I won't drive it that much so a Rusi will do just fine. My brother in law has a Yamaha Aerox and I noticed it was liquid cooled and reminds me of the Majesty. I'm a big fan of liquid cooled engines.

The Majesty was one of those futuristic looking bikes but it was a blast to drive. You could put two full face helmets or two 12 packs under the seat. I bought it to tote around on the back of my motorhome but it was too heavy  so I just had fun with it.

I traded a boat for the Grizzly and had to do a little work to it but I only had $1,200 in the boat. When I put it on CraigsList for $3,000 I got a lot of responses. One guy offered me an extra $500 if I would hold it until he got there so I couldn't pass that up. It was the Real Tree camo model with locking differentials that people were looking for.  The 700cc, 4 valve, fuel injected engine made it a real beast. Just a small example of the toys I had to sell to move here.

Photos of the Majesty and Grizzly

dB61KG.jpg

@Moon Dog

Awesome insights, thanks for sharing!

Unfortunately, i do not know much about motorcycles. An uncle of mine (who i haven't spoken to in about 4 years due to nasty separation from my aunt - my mom's sister) had a fairly successful business rebuilding vintage bikes (bikes going back to the 1930's). I wish i had shown interest for it way back when i was younger at the peak of his business's success. as for sure i would have learned a lot from Him.  i should have insisted on taking up on some sort apprecentiship with him

But you're right about the Honda bike. Honda (as all things being Japanese). oozes great design, style, and aesthetic. the only other motorcycle that gets me excited is Indian's Motorcycle...oh, I should mention Keanu Reeve's motorcycle company Arch. such beautiful bikes, but much more expensive than the average bike enthusiast can afford.

@pnwcyclist

Many thanks!

I actually DO have this bike by the way...............

In my Dreams.  1f600.svg

I pulled the trigger on the Rusi 250i today and rode it home in the driving rain. It has been calling to me every time I passed by the dealership. The horn wasn't working so the mechanic had to remove the gas tank and find the wire that wasn't plugged in. It has dual horns which are very loud. It also has dual hydraulic disc brakes on the front and single hydraulic disc on the rear. The fuel injected 250 cc engine fires right up and purrs like a kitten. I was a little worried about the balance of the bike since my wife's 125 cc Rusi scooter isn't the best but all it took was one ride to confirm it is a well balanced bike. I especially like the single round instrument panel, very clean. The clutch engages quickly so I'll get used to that but I stalled it on first attempt to leave the dealer and that's a bit embarrassing with everyone watching. The shift pattern in 1 down and 5 up with neutral between 1 and 2 same as my last Harley but the Honda tricycle is 5 down with neutral before 1st gear so that makes things interesting. A heal-to e shifter would be nice on the Rusi, maybe someone makes one.

dgo6tR.jpg

My multicab backed into the Rusi dealer. The 250 Classic is on the far right.

dgopSc.jpg

Bike at the dealer

dgoamW.jpg

Instrument panel, idling at 1,500 rpm

dg23Ec.jpg

Bike safe at home in my carport (commonly known as the garage in the Philippines) after toweling off the rain water.

dgoEHg.jpg

The LED headlight is nice and bright but in the daytime I will probably just use this light. It has been a long time since I've owned a bike that has a headlight off switch.

`

That's a very handsome looking ride there Moon Dog

And reading them up a little, they're a popular choice.

Also, this Rusi 250 Facebook group seems interesting

https://www.facebook.com/groups/653773019326643/about

Good choice there mr moon man 1f60e.svg

`

@stuleer hi i am planning on bying a kawasaki vulcan s 650

i love touring and this one is great for that  as it have nice tork in low rpm ,but it also have the power to get the speed i wood not buy anny heavyer bike as the roads in the province are not always good quality and this bike is handy in the city trafic to

the kawasaki versys 650 is also a greta bike for the philippines as again great for touring and city trafic and it dos very wel off road to but it's not my style he hahaha i like bikes  with low seat (close to the ground hahahaha

greets Dirk

@PalawOne Thanks, I was looking for a Rusi Classic forum or FB page and the one you posted looks like a good one.

looks great!!!! Have a blast.

@Moon Dog

That bike looks awesome!   Wise choice indeed. I am a man with very little envy of anyone, but i'll be happy to admit it here in this instance. 

enjoy all your future rides and drive safe!

@stuleer definitely, I live on Masbate Island, no traffic, long open country roads, I drive a 200cc Keeway Superlight now, but next month will buy the Kawasaki Vulcan S 650.

maybe someone could jump in with a good bike for a tricycle for myself and the wife, in terms of engine size, what size would be better than the 175 Barako not looking for anything crazy, and what current model here in the Phils would be more suitable im guessing around 300 cc

thanks to all

@dyanisis There are bikes designed for tricycles like the Honda TMX Supremo 155 cc and the Rusi Macho 175 cc. Kawasaki makes a very good 175 also. These bikes have additional coil over shocks to beef up the rear suspension and a boss just behind the front forks for attaching a side car. If you want to make a tricycle from a 300 cc or larger bike you would be starting from scratch. My side car is attached to a Honda TMX. It has over 90K kms and still runs and shifts like it should. It is no ball of fire but it gets me where I'm going and can carry a load. Tricycles are  more about appearance and load capacity then spped.

and load capacity

5pXyejC

@Moon Dog Best to buy it and hide it. 🤣

@Steelegray

I did buy it and had some fun riding it, then I sold it.