Inflation in Costa Rica in 2022

In the various media, inflation in Costa Rica is becoming increasingly important. This is becoming a concern for some, with fears of an impact on day-to-day budgeting.

Today, how does inflation in Costa Rica impact on daily life?

Which products and services have increased the most (insurance, shopping, petrol, electricity etc.)?

Have you had to review your budget? If so, what are your priorities?

What solutions have expatriates found to curb the impact of inflation? Did they use specific aids?

Thanks for your future contribution
Kind regards,
Mickael
Team Expat.com

I have made a lot of changes to lifestyle since arriving in Costa Rica eight years ago.  They all add up and certainly, are things anyone can do, if they choose. Many I will mention are for health reasons: emphasis on good health vs poor health.  My diet has changed a great deal and therefore, what we spend at the market has changed dramatically in a positive direction.  No red meat, little dairy - meaning I do eat yoghurt. Ice cream a favorite for so many years is gone. Fruit smoothies are in. No candy, virtually no sweets with the exception of a fiber bar daily and things natural, ie. strawberries, bananas, guanabana, etc.  No chocolate.  No coffee. No alcohol. No tobacco. Tea, yes. Lots of fruits and vegetables. What I'm about to write may seem drastic; yet, we make it work.  I no longer have a vehicle.  We rely on public transportation and taxis.  That means no annual Marchamo and no riteve.  We are able to accomplish what is necessary. We walk a lot.  We no longer watch network or cable television.  Yes, we do have outstanding fiber internet, we have a television connected to a laptop and watch movies from Youtube, etc. that way.  Our emphasis has changed from that of Human Doings to Human Beings.  We are retired - why not?

@Durphym all is right but depends on your location. Here, in the very south it is difficult to live without a vehicle although possible with limited mobility.

@Henrych Yes, I understand that the way we operate may not work for everyone.  We are very fortunate to be located where we are.  Is it ideal, not always.  Is it doable - yes for us.  Pura Vida

@Durphym Yes, this pura vida thing has many impurities...all is our perception and cognitive dissonance..

INFLATION is here in Costa Rica at the grocery stores.  most things seem to have risen 20% in the last few months.  a bit shocking at the checkout counter.  What I used to buy for 60,000 colones is  now 90,000 or more.  posted Nov. 7  2022

@Durphym

Great info!! I am single, 71 to be 72 next month.  For months I have wanted to visit - and move eventually  - to Heredia area. I am not wealthy and would rely on SS income primarily.  Is there a truly safe AND inexpensive place to live? I'm  not set on Heredia and only chose that area from what I  have read. CR has the healthy food  I need and I don't want to have to drive . Thank you for any info.

Margi

Margi.......If you are not living in depravation where you live now,don't think you can all the sudden lower your standard further in Costa Rica.A foreign woman living alone in Costa Rica is pretty brave ! This is not the land of equality....

@Durphym
Great info!! I am single, 71 to be 72 next month. For months I have wanted to visit - and move eventually - to Heredia area. I am not wealthy and would rely on SS income primarily. Is there a truly safe AND inexpensive place to live? I'm not set on Heredia and only chose that area from what I have read. CR has the healthy food I need and I don't want to have to drive . Thank you for any info.
Margi
-@margih3

HI 👋

Edgar