Inflation in Belize in 2022

In the various media, inflation in Belize is becoming increasingly important. This is becoming a concern for some, with fears of an impact on day-to-day budgeting.

Today, how does inflation in Belize impact on daily life?

Which products and services have increased the most (insurance, shopping, petrol, electricity etc.)?

Have you had to review your budget? If so, what are your priorities?

What solutions have expatriates found to curb the impact of inflation? Did they use specific aids?

Thanks for your future contribution
Kind regards,
Mickael
Team Expat.com

In almost 80 years I have been through several rounds of inflation.

It's like bad weather when you are sailing. Not much you cam do about it other than batten the hatches and reduce sail.  Simply spend less. Don't be too proud to be cheap. Inflation is a temporary situation just get through it.

One thing I hate to see is shop keepers pasting new, higher prices over the original price on a product. That item was already in your inventory, purchased at the old wholesale price. Bumping the price now is an insult to customers. Unfortunately, it is an all too common practice.

The GOB cant seem to find their butt with either hand. Spend less!!! The government? They are addicted to their paid for SUVs and free (to them) fuel. Trips to all corners of the world on the government's credit card while poor people scratch for what's to eat that night.

I do not expect things to change soon. Inflation like, the tide, will ebb. Unlike the tide, we just don't know when.

Bob Wright

My wife and I live in rural Georgia most of the time.  However, we have a home in Cayo and spend at least a couple of months a year there.  In September we saw a big bump in prices but not any more than in the U.S.  It's still a lot cheaper to eat in Belize if you stay away from the imports at the grocery store.  We find that the major addition to our expenses there are for gasoline and butane.  Glad we went solar!  We love the frits and vegetables we can get reasonably when in season.  We'll be back in January and I know we'll be glad to be out of the cold by then.

Frank Hatcher

Good morning Frank, can you tell me the cost of adding your solar system to your home here in Belize, please?