Exit clearances

Hi, everyone. What are the current requirements for traveling abroad from the Philippines? I'm getting mixed messages from my friends here. I am an American with a 13a permanent resident visa and my wife is a dual citizen with a Pilipinas passport. We have been in the Philippines for over 3 years and are finally planning a couple of vacations. Thanks. -- Rich

Friend with 13A just left for Guam. He tried to get the exit clearance at BI Makati. He was told he could obtain, but only after adding PHP 500 for the express fee. He walked.

At the airport, he siad there is a special lane for aircrew, diplomat and ACR-I holder, He paid there, said it was approximately 2,100 php.

I am american with 13a, just exited first time in 8 years, Paid p2800 at NAIA airport for EEC-B and P1600 for Travel tax, my wife just had to Pay the p1600 Travel tax…Airport fee was paid when tickets were purchased…Have Fun

ECC A seems cheaper @ P500 and no travel tax but then again P22K per year for me on a visitor visa is probably more expensive than a 13A.

Cheers, Steve.

Thanks, all. I eventually figured out how to submit an ECC-B request on the e-services site: they had my first name and middle name combined as my 1st name. I'm going to drop into my local BI office tomorrow to see what they have to say. I'm guessing it will be something different, with the truth being that the process is whatever the agent at the airport thinks it is on any given day. Only in the Philippines.

I'm settling in my new home in West Virginia. I left the Philippines on Dec. 5. I showed the lady at immigration my SRRV page in my passport and all she asked for was the SRRV ID card. I guess she wanted to make sure it was not expired. So no ECC or anything required with the SRRV. Another thing that confuses me is the P1,600 exit fee I hear about, I didn't pay it, no one asked for it. Where do you pay that fee?

Yes Moon Dog, the same for me, 500 pesos for the ECC done at my local immi office and no departure tax, Ben got slugged the 1.600.

Nice to hear you are settling in, enjoy mate.

Cheers, Steve.

@bigpearl Thanks. It appears that is the one thing my SRRV agent got wrong. She said I would have to pay the P1,600.

I'm settling in my new home in West Virginia. I left the Philippines on Dec. 5. I showed the lady at immigration my SRRV page in my passport and all she asked for was the SRRV ID card. I guess she wanted to make sure it was not expired. So no ECC or anything required with the SRRV. Another thing that confuses me is the P1,600 exit fee I hear about, I didn't pay it, no one asked for it. Where do you pay that fee?

It is an improvement that SRRV holders no longer need to secure a travel pass at pra.gov (instituted during the pandemic) so inbound, all we need is our passport stamp and our active SRRV card. For you and me, card annual renewal is only 500 pesos. For SRRV, in spite of what others may have implied, there is no EEC either at a BI office or at the airport. Furthermore there is no 1600php travel tax if the timing between trips is less than 1 year.

I believe @danfinn got this backward (but who knows for sure). From my experience, you don't need an ECC if you have traveled abroad during the past year. And the P1600 travel tax is still in effect but is often added to the price of your ticket by the airline.

Discard

I believe @danfinn got this backward (but who knows for sure). From my experience, you don't need an ECC if you have traveled abroad during the past year. And the P1600 travel tax is still in effect but is often added to the price of your ticket by the airline.        -@rcvining

First, Talking about ECC only

Maybe you are right but look at what is shown on the LA Embassy website for SRRV. Also, we have returned to the USA three times without getting an ECC. But this is the Philippines where the only thing constant is constant change.

Special Resident Retiree's Visa (SRRV)

For more details on the Special Resident Retirees Visa (SRRV), please visit the Philippine Retirement Authority  or read their information guide (pdf)

The Special Resident Retiree's Visa (SRRV) is a special non-immigrant visa separate and distinct from the existing visa categories defined by the Philippine Immigration Act of 1940, as amended, and allied laws. (Sec. 1, Rule II of LOI 1470).

The issuance of the SRRV to qualified PRA applicants, entitles the holder to reside in the Philippines for an indefinite period with multiple-entry privileges as long as the required minimum deposit investment subsists. (Sec. 2, Rule II of LOI 1470).

***Moreover, the SRRV offers benefits which includes the exemption from the Exit Clearance, Re-Entry and Annual Registration requirements of the Bureau of Immigration, Travel Tax (provided the retiree has not stayed in the Philippines for more than a year from date of last entry) Special Study Permit, importation of household goods/personal effects worth US$7,000 for family use and other value added services.

Benefits

Option to Reside Permanently – may live, retire and invest in the Philippines.

Multiple Entry Privileges – may travel outside the Philippines, and re-enter anytime.

Exemptions

Exit clearance and re-entry permits of the Bureau of Immigration.

Annual registration requirement of the Bureau of Immigration.

Customs Duties and Taxes for the importation of personal effects and household goods up to US$7,000.00.

***Travel tax, (exempt) if stay in the Philippines is less than one year from the last entry date.

Second, about travel tax:

...above ***  is what I said.

You were confusing what I said about "travel PASS", no longer needed. SRRV would be familiar wth that but likely nobody else.

We usually have to pay travel tax when leaving but never an ECC. PRA claims tp remove you from the scope of BI requirements like ACR card and ECC. Not sure how accurate that really is.

@danfinn This reminds me of the hassles I went through in getting my 13a visa and my wife gaining dual citizenship. The Department of Foreign Affairs (embassies) and the BI operate under different rules and processes and apparently don't talk to one another. Anyway, I went to Bangkok last month with an ECC-B that I generated online, and had no issues exiting or re-entering the country. Cheers -- Rich

@bigpearl

Correct me if I am wrong. but travel tax has always to be paid if the last arrival is more that one year before.

@bigpearl
Correct me if I am wrong. but travel tax has always to be paid if the last arrival is more that one year before.

-@emvaningen

You may not be wrong but when we flew to Singapore earlier this year I obtained my ECC and paid no travel tax, Ben didn't need an ECC as a PH national but got slugged the 1600 Peso travel tax. Perhaps as others have mentioned my "as a foreigner" travel tax was part of my flight?

I do remember My production company that I worked for here 13 years ago giving me P700 Pesos for travel tax because I was here longer than 6 months but back then no ECC. the second time I worked for that company for 5 months there were no travel taxes, seems the cost has over doubled now even for nationals..... I'm simply relating my last trip and the fee was simply 500P in my local immi office for the ECC. I never paid travel tax unless it was obtained in the ticket but my thought is how would an airline company know how long you have been in the Philippines unless they charge every one regardless and that would mean my better half paid twice.

As we say? "More fun in the Philippines" and aside the fees are small change.

Cheers, Steve.

@bigpearl

It is confusing. Some airlines, like Etihad always include traveltax in the ticket price and it's a pain to get it refunded. Some airlines gie you a choice when you book (PAL says they do). And others when you use their reservasion desk don't charge when the conditions for exempt for travel tax are met.

@Emvaningen

Only going on my experiences and never seen an exit tax on any flight tickets/reservation/charges on the booking I have procured, as said if you book online how would could any airline know how long you have been in the country, not trying to be difficult,,,, maybe I was lucky? Maybe that's the law. I never paid an exit tax while a PH. national got slugged, the better half,,,,,, always the hand out here even for citizens. Me here for nigh on 3 years no tax.

A lot of streamlining is needed,,,,, doh, what does that mean.

Any way it is what it is and pay we do or don't.

Cheers, Steve.

Not seeking a debate :-) , but i think we all benefit from clear and correct information about the rules. Exceptions can always happen of course.

Travel tax is what I am talking about.

If included in the ticket price, it's visible in the summary of airline surcharges and taxes on the ticket receipt..

We travel international almost every month. Believe me

If travel tax is payable and not included in the ticket, one has to pay at the TravelTax desk after check-in, but before given the boarding pass (electronic boarding passes are not allowed at NAIA). The check-in agent will check if the tax has been paid and if not, will check the latest arrival stamp.

KLM, OMAN Air, Emirates ask for a copy of the last arrival stamp and do not add travel tax when issuing the ticket.

Etihad always includes travel tax in their online ticket price, but refund it when asked.

PAL is unclear. On my recent trip to Bangkok, booked online, there was (correctly) no travel tax added.

@bigpearl

-@emvaningen

You are of course correct but then consider that the damage that could be caused to a casual forum participant for believing this pablum is minimal. So who cares? Well, being correct is always important. This thread has gone off the tracks in a couple of respects, challenging everything we have known up to now about ECC and SRRV as well as travel tax for which there are no exceptions. But nothing has changed; it is not for us to explain false dilemmas that seem to, but actually do not, violate the conventional wisdom.

@ emvaningan

If as you say you travel every month then why would/could you be subject to travel tax? I already said that I read my/our airline bookings and receipts and never the proverbial travel tax, seems to be a departure thing at the airport and as said seems to be willy nilly as only once in 13 years have I been slugged, Ben a PH national gets hit every time he leaves his own country. Go Filipinos, help prop up the ailing government.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

The wife and I are flying back to Bangkok next month (Cagayan de Oro, Manila, BKK), and here's the fare breakdown from Cebu Pacific: Fuel Surcharge

PHP 3,214.00

PH Passenger Service Charge

PHP 1,053.56

Passenger Service Charge for National Government

PHP 200.00

PH PSC Value Added Tax

PHP 126.44

International Arrival and Departure Fees - TH

PHP 47.44

Advance Passenger Processing User Charge - TH

PHP 110.70

Base Fare

PHP 9,374.00

ASF of DPSC/IPSC

PHP 120.00

Administrative Fee

PHP 700.00

Go Easy Bundle - Per Piece

PHP 2,138.00

PH TAX-manual

PHP 3,240.00

PH Tax Admin Fee

PHP 100.00

I believe the TAX-manual entry (3240) is the travel or departure tax that we've been debating, and the tax Admin Fee (100) is for the convenience of not having to stand in line at the tax counter at NAIA.

Not going to argue RC, my receipts whether Qantas, Etihad or PAL never listed all those fees. We all find our way.

Cheers, Steve.

The first time I travelled to the Philippines I was hit with this charge. I entered on an Emirates flight at Cebu and then flew on to Cagayan De Oro a couple of days later with Cebu Pacific. When I returned to Cebu airport to get my flight home (Cebu - Dubai - Manchester), I was pointed to a counter at the airport and asked to pay the tax. Only time this has happened to me in 5 visits and each time I stayed for less than 30 days.

I am still not clear if the departure tax is required and if it is even the same fee as the Exit Clearance fee.

Almost related, I'm not planning to leave the Philippines in the near future.

But, here a tax, there a tax, everywhere a tax. I'm wondering when leaving the Philippines how many pesos should you have on you when you arrive at the airport, without having an excess amount remaining after fees and taxes until you get to your next destination?

So if you have multiple stops, how much local currency should you get at each stop from an ATM before your next leg for various purposes? I can't imagine arriving at your destination with several different currencies without being able to spend any of them.

Happened to me Bob - I have some pesos here at home but I reckon about 2000 pesos would cover snacks, water and juice and any unexpected departure tax at the airport. Unless the Philippines decides to introduce new curreny I will be okay until my next visit. By that and as an example - The UK recently replaced the £20 note and we only had a certain amount of time to spend or exchange the old ones. If I have much more I tend to buy small gifts at the airport for my daughter or maybe a cheap T Shirt for myself.

I do or did also have some Qatari Riyal and some United Arab Emirates Dirham (small amounts) that I needed for snacks and drinks while waiting for my connecting flights back to the UK on visits.

@Cherryann01

Travel Tax is yet another charge. Only for filipinos and foreigners who stayed more that a year.

I will try to find a ticket where it was wrongly added to the fare (and thus refunded).

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AqI-SKxQstJnl5N9F2x … g?e=UguugJ

s!AqI-SKxQstJnl5N9F2xWmChBCstTfg?e=UguugJ