Can I book return ticket for over 30 days?

I know that the tourist visa limit is 30 days, and that I intend to get visa extensions to allow me to stay 3 months. It is however $700 cheaper to buy a ticket with the specific arrival dates and departure dates I intend (for 3 months stay) , as opposed to having to purchase a ticket with a departure date within 30 dates of my arrival, and then cancelling this flight and repurchasing a flight for the actual return date. It seems like it is possible to purchase a ticket to the Philippines with an arrival date and return date more than 30 days apart, but I dont want this to be rejected by the Philippines immigration on my arrival.

Buy an additional ticket for a short trip out of the Philippines within 29 days and then get a refund on it or throw it away after you arrive, get your extensions,use your Round Trip ticket as planned..

Got it; Thanks!

Got it; Thanks!
-@tdtom30

Welcome to the forum.

You don't need to buy an exit ticket for the 30 day mark. I have purchased many tickets 2 to 5 months out over the last 13 years, as long as you have an exit ticket you're fine.

I arrived back here the on the day of the lock down in Manila with a return ticket 5 months out to go back to work, the airline cancelled my flight at the 4 month mark and a few months later got my money back. Lived here for 35 months with no questions asked, recently went O/S and purchased a throw away ticket 2 months out and yes never got on that plane.

Good luck with your trip.

Cheers, Steve.

I just watched a You Tube video today by Scuba Chef in the Philippines titled - How to Save Money Travelling to the Philippines and he was discussing the exact same thing.

He recommends purchasing a one way ticket to the Philippines then using a company called Onwardticket.com. He said what that does is that for 48 hours it gives you an onward ticket and shows you on the flight manifest, then after 48 hours your name is removed from the manifest. The cost is $14 and that way you can show an onward ticket on arrival if asked. Then obviously after 3 months you buy a single ticket to get back home. Obviously you need to get your visa extensions.

Tdtom:  If you are flying to the Philippines from the USA you will need something that shows you will be leaving after 29 days. Just last October I know a guy who was going to stay over a month, thought he could get into the country with bb status and stay for a year.  Which is true, but his Filipina wife was waiting for him in the Philippines, he had to arrive with her to be granted such status. Since he did not have any tickets getting him out in 29 days, Philippine Airlines refused to allow him to board the plane at JFK in NYC.

The OP knows his dates and is asking does he need an exit ticket @ 30 days, he simply needs to book his return/exit ticket to suit his itinerary to get on the plane be it one month out or 6 months, simply extend your visitor visa in an immi office, to the OP make sure you have at least 6 months validation on your passport.

Cheers, Steve.

I just watched a You Tube video today by Scuba Chef in the Philippines titled - How to Save Money Travelling to the Philippines and he was discussing the exact same thing.
He recommends purchasing a one way ticket to the Philippines then using a company called Onwardticket.com. He said what that does is that for 48 hours it gives you an onward ticket and shows you on the flight manifest, then after 48 hours your name is removed from the manifest. The cost is $14 and that way you can show an onward ticket on arrival if asked. Then obviously after 3 months you buy a single ticket to get back home. Obviously you need to get your visa extensions.
-@Cherryann01

That's an expensive way of doing it purchasing two single tickets. Buy a return that can be changed for a fee (always useful in an emergency) and as you state correctly Cherryanne the throw away ticket for 29 days. Problem solved.

To the OP make sure you purchase the throw away ticket within 48 hours of arrival as they will expire.

Lotus Eater said. . . .
To the OP make sure you purchase the throw away ticket within 48 hours of arrival as they will expire.

I'm sure it must be a typo. . . .purchase the throw away ticket Upon Arrival?

The throwaway ticket is presented to the carrier bringing you to the Philippines in order for you to board the flight (in most cases).

I asked Bard (Artificial Intelligence) If a airplane was flying between Los Angeles and Manila and it crashed exactly in the middle of the ocean, where would they bury the survivors. Bard replied that is up to the family.

When we flew to Singapore in February I booked a return flight from memory with Philippine Airlines and a throw away ticket 2 months out with a different carrier, not a problem until I checked in a week later to fly back to PH. Had to go the clearance desk to get my exit ticket/booking to be able to fly back to the Philippines as you need an exit ticket.

Cheers, Steve.

To Lotus Eater, you don't need a return nor throw away ticket within 30 days, been doing it for 13 years and can be as long as you want within the 36 month visitor visa period, Good luck booking with an airline that far out,,,,, usually 8 to 12 months ahead depending on the airline.

Many times my return is 2 to 6 months ahead.

Regardless my throw away ticket expired 2 months ago (never got an email from that airline saying I missed my flight) and I am simply renewing my visitor visa every 2 months.

Cheers, Steve.

@mugteck I was travelling earlier this year with my wife as I have in the past but this most recent trip was on Air Canada and was for 3 months. At the gate, they asked her for her old Philippine passport or Philippine birth certificate, we had neither. At the gate, I had to buy a return ticket on my phone, within  30 days of our departure, so stressful and expensive. Fortunately I was able to pay for internet access on the plane and cancel the ticket during the flight. We were then stressed about arrival in the Philippines, thinking they would know we cancelled the return flight (within 30 days) and we were gonna be busted by immigration. Philippines immigration didn't bat an eyelash, stamped both passports 'Balikbayan' and sent us on our way with a smile. During the trip, we were sure to acquire some Filipino id's for my wife so as to avoid a repeat.

-@Cherryann01

That's an expensive way of doing it purchasing two single tickets. Buy a return that can be changed for a fee (always useful in an emergency) and as you state correctly Cherryanne the throw away ticket for 29 days. Problem solved.
-@Lotus Eater

Just a side note to this. I was watching a TV programme here in the UK a few weeks ago about holiday scams. The presenter interviewed 2 women who had bought flight tickets off the internet going to the Caribbean, I think. It turned out they got scammed because they paid their money, got a confirmation email with their travel details including the name of the airline they were flying with and even though they went to the airlines website to check they were on the manifest, when they turned up at the airport for their flight, they were not on the flight manifest. The presenter spoke to an expert who showed him exactly what had happened and how the scam had been done. He had even booked the presenter a return flight and showed him the airlines flight manifest. and his name was on the list for the flights. After 48 hours his name had disappeared from the airlines manifest.

It turned out that all the scammers had done was use Onwardticket.com or a similar site providing the same service, forwarded the flight itinerary to the 2 ladies and pocketed the cash minus the nominal fee they paid to onwardticket.com.

Lotus - You are off course correct suggesting a flexible return would be cheaper, I was just using the example I saw on Scuba Chef's video and that was how he explained it.

@mugteck I was travelling earlier this year with my wife as I have in the past but this most recent trip was on Air Canada and was for 3 months. At the gate, they asked her for her old Philippine passport or Philippine birth certificate, we had neither. At the gate, I had to buy a return ticket on my phone, within 30 days of our departure, so stressful and expensive. Fortunately I was able to pay for internet access on the plane and cancel the ticket during the flight. We were then stressed about arrival in the Philippines, thinking they would know we cancelled the return flight (within 30 days) and we were gonna be busted by immigration. Philippines immigration didn't bat an eyelash, stamped both passports 'Balikbayan' and sent us on our way with a smile. During the trip, we were sure to acquire some Filipino id's for my wife so as to avoid a repeat.
-@Dude55

My wife is a duel citizen, uses her USA passport.  She always carries with her a copy of our marriage certificate and a copy of the paperwork she received when going to the Philippines consulate in NYC which proves she is a duel citizen.  After showing the papers to immigration I always get the bb stamp in Manila. PAL never questions the timing of our return tickets because of our bb history.

To Lotus Eater, you don't need a return nor throw away ticket within 30 days, been doing it for 13 years and can be as long as you want within the 36 month visitor visa period, Good luck booking with an airline that far out,,,,, usually 8 to 12 months ahead depending on the airline.
Regardless my throw away ticket expired 2 months ago (never got an email from that airline saying I missed my flight) and I am simply renewing my visitor visa every 2 months.

Cheers, Steve.
-@bigpearl

Not when flying from the UK from my experience Steve. I am asked for proof of return ticket within 29 days otherwise my airline will not let me board. Mugteck's & Dude's posts above confirms that's the case with flying to the Philippines from Canada as well.

Cheers, Steve.
-@bigpearl
Not when flying from the UK from my experience Steve. I am asked for proof of return ticket within 29 days otherwise my airline will not let me board. Mugteck's & Dude's posts above confirms that's the case with flying to the Philippines from Canada as well.
-@Lotus Eater

And the USA

Interesting guys, I never knew that some countries restrict boarding to 30 days.

Never a problem from Australia 2 or 6 months out, same with Singapore with an exit ticket 2 months out.

I had a bit of a look see on the net and found nothing from immi to say you need to have an exit ticket 29 days after your arrival to the Philippines for any of the 154 visa free countries, perhaps it's an airline thing? Perhaps I've been lucky in the 2 dozen times visiting here?

immi have never asked me for an exit ticket, I'm sure that's up to the airline carrier to monitor.

Cheers and thanks for that sad info from those countries.

Steve.

Philippine Airlines makes sure you have an exit ticket within 29 days before you board a plane in the USA headed for Manila, because if you are rejected by immigration at the airport for lack of exit ticket within 29 days, then Philippine Airlines is responsible to get you out of the Philippines.

Philippine Airlines makes sure you have an exit ticket within 29 days before you board a plane in the USA headed for Manila, because if you are rejected by immigration at the airport for lack of exit ticket within 29 days, then Philippine Airlines is responsible to get you out of the Philippines.
-@mugteck

That's how it is then? 29 days then throw the ticket away or pay an extra 50 bucks to modify your flight?

Why is Australia different? Malaysia?

Cheers, Steve.

BI announced that arriving balikbayan and their traveling spouse are exempted from presenting an outbound ticket.

This could be a little complicated as the balikbayan visa is issued upon arrival.

-@mugteck

That's how it is then? 29 days then throw the ticket away or pay an extra 50 bucks to modify your flight?
Why is Australia different? Malaysia?

Cheers, Steve.
-@bigpearl

We flew PAL from Singapore to Manila last February and had to get a clearance on my exit ticket with a different airline, that was a little over 2 months later, not a problem, may haps that's the airlines not knowing the rules, same as when it comes to Balakbayan visas and the problems that arise from airline staff not knowing the legislation.

Cheers, Steve.

Has anyone used the onward ticket successfully?

@jcole4455

Not yet 🤣

I have used return and a couple of throw away tickets over the years and never a problem.

Lotus Eater if memory serves I see you are from Bath, Have a good mate that lives in Oz from Bath but he has lived in Oz for over 40 years so you probably won't know him, love the accent though.

Cheers, Steve.

I have used return and a couple of throw away tickets over the years and never a problem.
Lotus Eater if memory serves I see you are from Bath, Have a good mate that lives in Oz from Bath but he has lived in Oz for over 40 years so you probably won't know him, love the accent though.

Cheers, Steve.
-@bigpearl

As I understood it the throwaway tickets are essentially ‘fake' i.e they cannot actually be used but I stand corrected as I have never purchased one.

My neighbour along the Terrace who used to work for the Foreign Office relocated to Sydney as a £10 Pom. She worked for a Travel Agency there and then got married and moved to Hobart. Marriage failed and she returned with an Aussie accent.

Lotus my throw away tickets were legit  over the years and not a problem, as said before I've missed a couple of flights and never contacted by the airline nor immi here. Legit throw away tickets are 50 to 80 bucks AU.

More fun in the Philippines.

Cheers, Steve.

Lotus my throw away tickets were legit over the years and not a problem, as said before I've missed a couple of flights and never contacted by the airline nor immi here. Legit throw away tickets are 50 to 80 bucks AU.
More fun in the Philippines.

Cheers, Steve.
-@bigpearl

I think that Lotus Eater may be referring to the website I mentioned above where you can pay a small fee to have your name on the airlines manifest for 48 hours and you do receive your flight details very similar to an e ticket but without the bar code. So you cab print your ticket off but even though your name appears on the airlines manifest for 48 hours, you do not actually have a valid ticket, just enough to fool airport staff and satisfy entry and exit requirements.

Big Pearl - You as I understand it just purchase a cheap valid ticket, maybe from the Cebu Pacific Promo offers but you simply do not use it.

@Cherryann01

Thank you for that clarification Cherryanne. Yes that was the ticket I was referring to. I remember Paul (Old Dog New Tricks) purchased that type of ticket when he was away from the Philippines to renew his visitor visa. Very confusing topic. Hope the OP has not gone cross eyed lol1f913.svg

Thing is that while sure you get 30 days free but if you extend 29 days it's 3,030 pesos, the next 60 day extension is 3,030 pesos so in actuality the 30 days are free but if you stay longer your first 30 days are not free.

I'm still curious with regards to some countries flights/carriers requiring an exit ticket from the Philippines within 29 days. All I have researched simply states 30 days visitor visa is free from memory 154 countries as long as you hold an exit ticket and no mention any where that it must be within the 30 days, interesting.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

Ok, I'm sitting in a lounge here at LAX. I'm flying EVA Air. I depart Los Angeles in a few hours, my return flight is 28 Sept. Completed the check in process and through security without question or a ticket departing within 29 days.

Typing this as I sit in the Star Alliance lounge at LAX. My trip is on EVA Air. Departure is in a couple of hours. Return flight is 28 September, 90 days. No issues or questions. I will go directly to BI upon arrival in Cebu to discuss the 59 day visa.

Just to follow up on my travel. Arrived in Cebu this morning. Immigration officer ask me if I had a return flight, yes, she then ask the date of my departure. 28 September was my response. That was it, no problem. Went to BI this afternoon within 15 minutes had a 59 day visa. No throw away tickets, no expiring reservations. Gonna be here for 90 days.

jcole445 said . . . . Just to follow up on my travel. Arrived in Cebu this morning. Immigration officer ask me if I had a return flight, yes, she then ask the date of my departure. 28 September was my response. That was it, no problem. Went to BI this afternoon within 15 minutes had a 59 day visa. No throw away tickets, no expiring reservations. Gonna be here for 90 days.

I'm a little confused, maybe you can amplify your experience for travelers following your footsteps.

(1) You entered on a 30 day visa and then you applied for a 59 extension beyond your 30 days?

(2) This took 15 minutes? Really?

(3) Can you give a breakdown of the fees others will pay if they follow your footsteps.

(4) Also you said you are going to be in the Philippines for 90 days. If you arrived today June 29th, your extension if my fuzzy math is correct of 90 days will be Sept 27, but your departure is one day later, after your extension expired.

Just to follow up on my travel. Arrived in Cebu this morning. Immigration officer ask me if I had a return flight, yes, she then ask the date of my departure. 28 September was my response. That was it, no problem. Went to BI this afternoon within 15 minutes had a 59 day visa. No throw away tickets, no expiring reservations. Gonna be here for 90 days.
-@jcole4455

Welcome to Cebu! I assume you went to Lapu Lapu BI office based on how fast you were in-out.

I also assume you got a 30 day extension only, to come to a total of 59 days as you said  above. Then you'll need to get another extension for that last month.

It seems our new member jcole has debunked the hypotheticals on having to have an exit ticket within the 30 day visa free period as I suggested.

It's also interesting that immi asked for an onward ticket, never happened to me but I've never been to Cebu immi office.

Agree with Larry that you will need an extension of 1 to 2 months before your current 59 day visa expires, go into immi 10 to 14 days before your expiry date.

Welcome to the Philippines jcole and to this forum, enjoy.

Cheers, Steve.

It seems our new member jcole has debunked the hypotheticals on having to have an exit ticket within the 30 day visa free period as I suggested.
It's also interesting that immi asked for an onward ticket, never happened to me but I've never been to Cebu immi office.
Agree with Larry that you will need an extension of 1 to 2 months before your current 59 day visa expires, go into immi 10 to 14 days before your expiry date.

Welcome to the Philippines jcole and to this forum, enjoy.

Cheers, Steve.
-@bigpearl

I think he may have fallen lucky in this case, so good for him. I can see no mention of having to have an onward ticket valid within 30 days on The Philippines Government website. It simply says you need confirmed tickets for return or onward journey to the next port of destination.

It is my belief that other government websites and airlines simply choose to interpret the information differently so for example, The UK Government Website only says you need an onward ticket and does not say anything about it having to be within thirty days. The Irish Department of Foreign Affairs website says you need a valid onward ticket within the 30 days. I understand that Airlines can be fined substantial amounts if they do not enforce the onward ticket rule so it is in their interest to check at the departure airport.

Now I think Jcole may be lucky this time but because he has managed to do this once, if he is challenged at the departure airport on his next visit, he can show his visa extensions from the last visit with the visa numbers and everything he did will be checkable.

Remember one very important thing - all the Airline and Foreign Government websites may give information, some of it wrong but I have yet to see one that does not tell you to check on the Philippines Immigration website for full details to stay in touch with the latest information.

So my conclusions are simple - Only an onward ticket is needed but not within 30 days of arrival.

The Airlines and other Agencies are protecting themselves and if you think about it, it is sensible. You may be able to get an extension to your visa easily but it is not  a given and I dare say some people have been refused the extension.

Steve, I also came into the PI many times over the years with roundtrip departures beyond 30 days - all you needed was to show a return or onward ticket at some future date. I was required to show proof on a couple occasions and almost bumped once in either Singapore or KL in 2017.

That changed during the pandemic. When they re-opened it was clearly stated on at least a couple official websites that entry was for 30 days maximum, and flight out within that window was required. Hence more focus arose on the onward tickets. I have been unable to locate that info now - it may have been that first E-health thing. But I know for sure that PAL required it.

So the last two trips I made, since June 2022, I made sure to book a flexible 30 day R/T ticket (PAL Prem Economy includes that) then changed it once in country, and did my normal BI extensions. No issues. But it did add an extra requirement, and as usual, enforcement is all over the board. The airlines all apply the rules differently, and Just because someone else makes it in doesn't mean I will, lol.

But I would be very happy if in fact there is no 30 day requirement - it would make life much simpler for all of us - and I also plan to do more investigation into it.

I'm only relating my experiences with regards to exit tickets and duration and in 13 years, some 2 dozen trips I have never been accosted whether 1 or 6 months out as my return flights were always with the same airline that I flew in with.

Only questioned recently returning from Singapore with PAL, not PAL themselves but immi after check in, had to go to another department to show my exit ticket from the Philippines with a different carrier 65 days out, once they saw my A4 photo copy with another airline they simply stamped my boarding pass then I went through immi again with no problems.

My question is why didn't PAL simply ask me when I checked in? Would have saved time.

We all have different trials and tribulations.

I will add that immigration here, I'm a regular and have never ever been ask if I have and exit ticket, Manila nor San Fernando City offices.

Cheers, Steve.

OK, I am trying to debunk the need to have an onward ticket/reservation to show to prove that you are departing the Philippines before the 30 days initially given with out a visa. At least when departing and returning to the US via LAX. I purchased a round trip ticket directly from EVA AIR to vacation in the Philippines My ticket had a departure date on 28 June 2023 from LAX to Cebu, my return date is for 28 Sept 2023 from Cebu to LAX. I arrived at LAX on the 28th of June and checked in with EVA Air. I was given my boarding passes and checked in 2 bags and also had a carry on and a personal bag. EVA Air did not question the fact that my ticket exceeded the 30 visa free visit. My check in at LAX and EVA Air was completed without a hitch or issue. Upon my arrival at Mactan international airport I approached the immigration official, presented my US Passport. The immigration officer ask if I had ever visited the Philippines before and my response was yes, she then asked if I had a round trip ticket, my answer was yes, last question was how long do you intend to stay in the Philippines, my answer was I depart on the 28th of September. She then stamped my passport with the arrival stamp dated 29 June 2023 and assigned a expiration date of 29 July 2023. Later that day I went to the BI  Office located at the Mactan Island Gaisano Grand Mall, filled out a form, paid 3030. Pesos and was given a CERTIFICATION stating that I was not on their hold departure/blacklist, and a receipt stating that my visa is now valid until 27 August 2023 and a recommendation that I return 3-7 days before that expiration for an extension.  The fee breakdown is: Visa Waiver Application fee - 1000, Visa Waiver - 500, Certificate fee - 500, Legal research fee - 30 for a grand total of 2030. An additional receipt for Express lane fee - 500, and Express lane fee (Certification) - 500.  All totaled 3030 pesos. I will also add that I have been married to my wife for over 40 years and have made this trip countless times and have never encountered any issues with Immigration in the Philippines but I also realize how things do change. Thank you all for the information you have provided me with even though the answers did not always agree with each other it was still very important and valuable information given and for this I wanted to document my trip and what exactly took place. Good luck and God's speed in all you travels. PS please keep sharing intel it is priceless.

@jcole4455

Appreciate your thorough follow-up on that, but I suspect you were lucky. Either EVA is not checking (in which case they risk fines) or perhaps the fact that you are married to a Filipina had something to do with it, even without using a Balikbayan visa. I have gained some additional information since your post which I share below.

As mentioned, I have been asked by PAL to show a return ticket within 30 days on the last two trips I have made since June 2022 (I simply extended flight & visa once in country) and I have confirmed on two recent phone conversations that they still require proof of onward or return travel from the Philippines within 30 days of arrival - or they will not allow the passenger to board the flight.

The requirement changed as of May 30, 2022 when they reopened for Visa on Arrival after the pandemic. Prior to the pandemic they did not enforce the 30 day rule, but now airlines risk fines if they allow someone to board without the onward or return ticket within 30 days. I have attached a doc from the Philippines Consulate in Los Angeles that states the new requirements below.

I have also requested a 9a Tourist Visa from them (the usual is 59 day) for my trip this winter. That should work fine with a quick trip out of the country within the 59 days and a 30 day visa on arrival when I come back in. Note that this does require more paperwork - it would be just as easy to use an onward ticket showing travel within 30 days of arrival as discussed multiple times in this thread.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/i/tropical_desert/New-Entry-Procedures-to-PHL-as-of-30-May-2022.png?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds