Considering living in Thailand

Hello all,

I'll try to be brief...I'm considering moving to Thailand.  I am a US citizen and have visited Thailand, where I met my girlfriend, who is a Thai citizen.  She got a visa for the US but was turned away at immigration.  She's banned from entering the US for 5 years, per several lawyers I've spoken with.

I want to get advice on what its like to live in Thailand.  I want to make enough money to save for my retirement and be able to travel outside of SE asia.  My fear is that once I move to Thailand I won't be able to leave due to the difference of standard of living and the exchange rate, etc.

I have a master's degree in Traditional Chinese Medicine and have 10 years of massage experience.  My girlfriend has her degree in Traditional Thai Medicine.

How much do resorts pay?  Should we open our own clinic?  Work for a clinic?  Any and all advice is appreciated.

Cheers,
Gregory

As a US citizen your business opportunities are slightly limited in LOS but as you have a Thai partner this need not be an issue.  You don't say how old you are - important since this can effect visa status.  Most long stay visas require you to exit Thailand every 3 months which can be a bind.

There is a wealth of information on my blog http://www.my-thai-friend.com and can I recommend you start reading Thai Visa as there is a host of information there.

Good Luck.

Thanks much.  I'll check out your blog.
I'm 39, by the way.  I heard there's a "retirement visa" offered at age 50.

My wife is qualified in Shiatsu.  We live in Chiang Mai.  The problem for expat massage therapists here is that it is a bit like selling snow to eskimos.  Almost every street here has a massage shop prices can be as low as approx 7 USD for an hour.  In the expensive spas it can go up to 30 USD or so.

I dont think resorts will pay you enough for massage to save for your retirement/travel around a lot.

That said working in TCM might be more lucrative.  We go to a clinic in town here and they are constantly fully booked for herbs/acupuncture consultations.  There are many 'wellness' spas here, maybe you could approach some of them and offer your services.  Obviously we are close to China and there are a lot of Chinese Thais but I think it might be better to use your English and sell your services to Farangs.

There is some good advice on retiring and living in Thailand at this website - Retire Thailand

HI,IM CONSIDERING LIVING IN THAILAND IM 44 MALE I HAVE A THAI GIRLFRIEND.WHAT I WAS THINKING OF PROPOSING WAS TO APPLY TO BRING IN A PRIVATE ENGLISH SPEAKING SECURITY FIRM TO CLEAN UP PLACE`S LIKE WALKING STREET.I KNOW THEY HAVE TOURIST AND VOLUNTEER`S THERE NOW,BUT IM TALKING ABOUT INSIDE THE PREMISE`S WITH ALL DUE RESPECT THAI`S ARE TO NICE AND PLACE`S LIKE INSOMNIA NEED TO BE CONTROLLED BETTER,HOW WOULD I GO ABOUT THIS?