The driving force of your expatriation in Turkey

Hello everybody,

Moving abroad, to a destination such as Turkey, is often the result of careful consideration. It is a major life decision and one that should not be taken lightly as the implications are so diverse. We would like to know what motivated you to choose Turkey as your expatriation destination.

What was the main factor that led you to choose Turkey as your new home?

What were the other criteria that made Turkey your preferred destination?

Are you satisfied with your choice? Please, tell us why.

Did you have any other good surprises when you arrived or any disappointments?

Have your priorities changed in the current period? If so, did this play a role in your choice of destination or in the reconsideration of your whole expatriation project?

Thank you for your contribution!

Diksha,
Expat.com team

"What was the main factor that led you to choose Turkey as your new home?"

For me it was more than just a business opportunity or the thrill of a new adventure. I have traveled to Turkey from America on a few occasions and I have learned to love the Turkish people. Every culture has its own strengths and weaknesses. I believe the strengths of Turkey are worth enduring the challenges of living here. Some people make the choice to move here based on how Turkey can benefit them. If this is their only reason to come to Turkey, they won't last long. Life is more than just selfish motives. Life is about relationships, and healthy relationships start with healthy motives. Making a choice to live in a community makes you a part of that community. In order for a community to be successful everyone in that community must contribute to its success. If I can choose the kind of relationships to serve with to make a better community, the Turkish people can make some of the best friends you will ever have!

"What were the other criteria that made Turkey your preferred destination?"

I have traveled all over America and other countries, and I love the diversity of Turkey's natural beauty. Turkey has beautiful beaches, mountains, and forests! I love the city of Bursa because it's not as crowded with foreigners as Istanbul or Izmir. Bursa is more genuine to Turkish culture.

"Are you satisfied with your choice? Please, tell us why."

YES! When you earn the trust and respect of the Turkish people, they become some of my closest friends! I have many good friends here in Turkey!

"Did you have any other good surprises when you arrived or any disappointments?"

The good surprise that I experienced is the value of the US dollar in Turkey. Because my income comes from the US, It's not as costly to live in this country and I was able to move here much sooner than expected. Another surprise is the mouth-watering flavors of Iskender!

The greatest disappointment that I have experienced here in Turkey is that there are some people who try to take advantage of foreigners. The growing inflation is another disappointment not so much for myself, but for the Turkish people. This is a major problem and I hope that the Turkish economy will improve for their sake.

"Have your priorities changed in the current period? If so, did this play a role in your choice of destination or in the reconsideration of your whole expatriation project?"

I think anyone can have a good experience with the right priorities. Establishing financial stability before moving here was important to me, and as a result, I had a wonderful experience! My advice for those considering moving to Turkey is to be patient and educate yourself before making any major decisions. Living in Turkey is worth your diligent planning and preparation!

A very good post of MikeAlex, I am more simplistic in my approach having lived in The Netherlands (we are Dutch), UK, Luxembourg, Hungary and now Turkey (alanya)/

The many comments of MA make sense, I believe however not in (new) friends (good acquintances yes), real friends will help you through ALL.

We lived in Hungary quite happily for more than 7 years and also without preparation and (for me not even be able to speak Hungarian). Good friendly neighbours, good chess club, nice nature, and village life (clearly not the case in Alanya)
Why I left, things (financially) are going into the wrong direction in Hungary (very much Western EU level), also getting older in a big house and a massive garden does not help.

Bottom line feeling welcome by Turks, proximity (in a city) of everything, Cost of living (!!!), being able to drink and smoke in restaurants (in Hungary we had to drive to a restaurant and zero tolerance on alcohol), ....

Cost however is a very important factor though, I am in semi-retirement so no worry about taxes not yet, if bad in 5 years I will move again (perhaps Bulgaria or back to Hungary).

On another thing I have to agree with MA is that some people tend to take advantage (I am fine as long as they give service).
Believe it or not my internet is now 100 MB for a lower level of price then I am used to. I am fine, also I know we pay to much or gotten have rebate on furniture, still a good price and far below what I had anticipated.

Being on time might not be the same I have been used to , but in any case on the same day as they committed.

Yes moving to Kusadasi, Turkey was a big decision for me. I am a divorced man, so I am free to move where ever I choose. My children are grown and have thier own families and are doing well. I had never been to Turkey before I made up my mind to take the plunge. I did my due diligence in investigating every aspect of life and how would it affect me being in a foreign country and not knowing the language. I bought a one-way ticket. I already had a lawyer and a real-estate broker set up to get me started.   

I would have to say the main reason for me making the change was financial. I live on Social Security from the USA and with all the investigation I did and talking to ex-pats, that already lived there, I came with confidence I would have enough money to live and thrive in Turkey. I booked a hotel for two weeks and then got to work with the help of a very good lawyer and real estate broker. It was only a very short time before I had a residence and most, if not all the paperwork needed to exist here. I now have been here for close to eight months and all my expectations of been met and exceeded.

Although I have found that I can afford to live here, there are many bonuses to be living in Kusadasi. I am a very outgoing personality and have found the Turkish people to be very warm and friendly. I can truthfully say I have made more good friends here in eight months than in the last 40 years in the USA. I will warn you, anyone reading this must take precautions. Do not, and I repeat do not let people into your lives too easily until you are absolutely sure of their motives. As with the rest of the world, there will always be people to try to take advantage of you. The other criteria that was important to me was to be able to obtain a residence that was not only comfortable but with a great view and also big enough to entertain friends. I love to cook and have guests over for stimulating conversations all the time. I have a three-bedroom, rented, and furnished condo overlooking the Aegean Sea, that could easily have 15 to 20 guests. This condo would have easily cost 10 times what I am paying here in Turkey in the USA. You asked if I am satisfied with my choice, and I can truly say that if I would have known what Turkey had to offer 15 years ago when I got divorced, I would now be a resident for fifteen years. I am completely 100% satisfied with my choice. Considering the cost of living, the culture, the people, the food, the everyday life and the nightlife that is available. The fresh air 24/7/365. Having this beautiful fresh air and the slower pace of living alone will add years to your life.

I am going to tell you a short story of what happened to me after being here for only three days. I was walking along the street, the seaside. When a Turkish man approached me asking for a light. I was smoking. We got into a short conversation and he asked why I was here in Kusadasi and invited me to come with him across the street to his now-closed Bar/Restaurant. Mind you this was a Sunday night around 9 pm and Covid at that time had all the businesses closed. He unlocked his doors and invited me in to sit at the bar, share a few drinks and talk. Around 10 pm he asked if I was hungry, and I replied I was. He got on the phone and called in his chef to cook for me, he was there in fifteen minutes and turned out a beautiful and tasty lamb dinner. No charge for the drinks or the food. That does not happen in the USA anymore. I said to myself am I living in a dream? Is this really what happens here? He became a good friend and catered to my every need over the next few weeks driving me around, making sure I was going to the right locations as being a new foreigner in Turkey. I could tell you ten stories like this that occurred over the next few weeks and months. Sorry for the long explanation but I did not see any other way to explain this beautiful experience I am living.

If you are at all struggling in life and want to take a peek at what could become a magical living experience, Do some research on life in Turkey. As with any country you move to you will make more good friends and have an easier time getting through your daily routines if you attempt to speak their language. Even though I still do not speak much Turkish, Kusadasi was a great choice as it is a tourist town and a lot of Turkish citizens understand the English language to accommodate tourists coming into their city.