Moving to Marmaris - Share your experience of living in Marmaris

We have fallen in love with Marmaris and we are thinking next year of coming to live there, initially for a year.

My partner owns a house here and is going to rent it out so we will be renting there, with his income from this he won't need to work and I can work on the internet but we would both like something part time, how hard is this?

Or maybe set up a small business.

Any advice on any aspects of this and any experiences of living in Marmaris would be very helpful x

Welcome to Turkey forum Dianne,

Marmaris does have its charms, however finding a job or doing business in Turkey is a whole different issue.

For both you need to know Turkish well. Besides this, the influx of Syrian refugees makes it a little harder to get a job. The Turkish preference for hiring is Turkish citizens, cheap Syrian immigrant labor and then forigners who speak Turkish. Though as a native English speaker, you may find a job teaching English.

Business in Turkey is pretty complex. A whole lot of paperwork hassle. If that's your intent, you may want to start doing research now by visiting the Turkish govt website advising business.
(And please Do Not get advice from random people interested in 'helping you'. It's definitely not worth it). Hope I'm making sense. 

For any general issues, please feel free to ask anything
Hope this helps
Z

Yeah I was thinking of teaching as I have a degree and going to learn the language too, we are also thinking maybe bring enough money to last for 12 months and see if we like it enough to relocate, the upside of this is we'll be able to learn Turkish there 😀 and thanks.

No problem. The good thing is that you do seem to have a good plan well laid out, which a lot of people fail to do even after moving to another country.
Good luck : )
Z

Yeah well I've been thinking about it for years but wasn't in the position to do it before but kids have left home now and I know I would get my job back here if it didn't work out so there's nothing to lose 😀

Well... Godspeed then. .
Hope it works out for the best for you.. : )

And if you have any queries, please feel free to post.
Z

Hi zeeshsn I am from Pakistan. Just wanted to know f we have any Pakistani community here.
Thanks

Hi Sidra,

Welcome to Turkey forum.

We're a little off topic here, but yes there is a Pakistani community un Istanbul though I have rarely met any Pakistani other than in an event in Pakistani consulate last year.

There are different small communities of students or workers... it all depends on which part of Istanbul you are living in.

Also try the Networking section to find more Pakistanis.

If you have any queries, please feel free to ask.
Z

Well we all are in love with Marmaris and glad that you are too. The area is alive all year around, thus you could take up a tourism related type job making use of your foreign language. Check around the marina and real estate agencies. If you like boats there are plenty of blue cruise yachts that hire as well. Good luck.

http://miryabluecruise.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Blue-cruise-luxury-holidays.jpg

Hi Dianne.

Really interested in why your move from Malta to Marmaris, moving from Malta where everyone speaks English to Turkey where English is not he main spoken language will make the move very different.
I too made this move leant Turkish but it took a number of years to get to a level good enough to have a conversation out of how's the weather, nice to meet you etc etc.
Without Turkish you will always be seen as a tourist and life is very different when living there as a resident.
Would love to hear more from you on your thoughts

Hello consultants,

Welcome to Expat.com  :cheers:

I doubt that Dianne will get to read your message as this thread is quite old.

Should you have any questions, do not hesitate to post a new thread on the Turkey forum.

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team.

Hi, yes thanks for telling us, I noticed it was 2015 after posting :-)