Moving to Panama and driving from NJ.

Hello All,

We are moving to Panama in the next few weeks.  We've decided to drive because of our dog was too big to for the flight.  We thought a benefit of driving would being able to fill the pick up with out stuff and not have to worry about shipping it.  I plan on opening a small cafe/bakery.   I am planning on bringing all the kitchen supplies so that I don't have to repurchase them once I arrive.  Does anyone have any information , experience or resources about bringing a a small pickup truckful of personal items, tools and kitchen tools across the border into Mexico and beyond to Panama.  Will I have to pay taxes or duty on my stuff when I cross each border? 

Thank You

Jim

Hi, we just did the trip from Florida 2 months ago with our 6 cats in a 2020 Toyota 4runner 4x4 was a long ride believe me! I won't do this again! never! was a mission impossible even my wife is Spanish  was not easy! we did not pay nothing in taxes or duty for each country but every countries is different trying to collect money from us for fake covid test even if you show proof of vaccine and car insurance, the only country you have to buy car insurance is Mexico and Panama because you will be driving in Panama with your car. Beware Nicaragua was the worst country they are thief! don't buy covid at $200 saying you need this to enter Costa Rica it's a scam to suck you money! just continuous to drive to the Costa Rica border and they will test you for Free! at no cost! anyway if you have questions or concern feel free to ask me!

Rich.

How long did it take you to get through the borders?

little bit more than a week, the problem is we lost too much time 1/2 day for each borders.

Hi,
I have just read your post. I wonder if you are on your way to Panama from NJ or decided not to drive.

For the couple with the Spanish speaking wife that did drive I assume if we have a truck and considering to move our belonging and my partner speaks Spanish, you would not recommend it. The thing is that any Sea Freight carrier charges a lot to move any size container. I am from FL. The quotes I got range from $5000 to $6500 USD. And that does not include to load and unload the container as we will do so ourselves and make sure nothing get broken.
I wonder did any of the country custom/border empty your vehicle and went through all of your suitcases/luggage/boxes?
If you do not recommend it to drive all the way to Panama, would you recommend it to Mexico? We are considering either Mexico or Panama and have been looking at properties in Boquete, Panama area and Zihuatanejo and Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. There are pros and cons in both countries.

Thank you for your reply.

Hi there, Mexico was the only country that we have to empty the vehicle and opened everything to be checked,  Nicaragua just looked some luggage but was not too bad and the other countries even did not look what we had inside the car. Mexico vs Panama Mexico is super corrupt we got arrest by cop 3 time in Mexico because we was driving a vehicle with Florida tag and we have to bribe them! in Panama we got arrest 2 time and nothing happen just check Passeports and vehicle papers and a nice welcome to Panama! Panama is not perfect! you must slow down everything takes forever to get things done! is not cheap to live here US dollar here. it cost me more here than in Florida for the same thing. You live cheaper in Mexico because of the money exchange. Thanks.