Drive to Panama from US

I've not seen this topic discussed. Has anyone ever driven to Panama from the US?  We are retiring to Boquete in August and had always assumed we would fly and arrive with our 4 suitcases to begin our adventure. Looking at a map, I began to think it could be interesting to drive through Mexico, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, maybe a side trip here or there, to see a few places on our way to Panama. I'm assuming there would be bag and vehicle searches at borders. Is this a crazy idea? Or could it be fun and educational and SAFE if planned well?

Hola
Some people have absolutely no problems and others get robbed blind, including their car before they are out of Mexico. There are the visas, car registration when you cross each border. These are counties, not states like driving in the U.S. Be sure to have lots of small bills for bribes, or give big bills for bribes, your choice. Remember each country has different currancy, until you finally get to Panama, then it is the the dollar again. Then there is the problem of registering your car in Panama, getting parts for it since it is not designed for Panama and last having to interpolate the speedometer, since everything in Panama is now kph. Significantly easier to fly in.
90% of the people that import a car into Panama wish they had not, yes there is the 10% that do like having imported a car, will you be in the majority or minority?
Buena Suerta!

Thanks, Mikkel! We always enjoy your viewpoint! 😃  I love adventure but I think it would be a big risk going through Mexico. It's fun to think about, though. We look forward to getting to Panama!

What may sound at first blush as a cool road trip will cause you to abandon your vehicle and possessions (or have someone take them from you) any number of places along the way.  Every once in a while some cowboy comes on a brags how he's done it, but in reality you are risking your life - just in Mexico alone - and will be subjected to harassment by officials and citizens.  Your Spanish had better be good to excellent.

Thanks SawMan! We've come to our senses and will fly. But it was a nice, short-lived idea, but for the little detail that we could disappear in Mexico, never to be heard from again. 😳

I drove to Panama from Canada in 2009 on my Honda Goldwing.

I had few issues, the policia in Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama were the worst. Everyone else were more interested in how many cylinders my motorcycle had, how fast it went and how much it cost.  Even the military in Mexico asked the same questions!

Check out my blog thegypsychronicles.tumble.com

Don't do it!  We did it 8 years ago and we treated it as a vacation on our way to David, Panama.  It was perhaps our best ever vacation though everything has changed since.  Now you would be putting your life at risk.  Also, the very big hassle of getting your car registered here is a huge headache.  Buy a car here and then travel from here.  Get settled before you consider traveling through multiple countries between the USA and Panama.

@Books&Wine
it's very easy just do it there are lots of forums and internet guidance
Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, (maybe Salvador) Nicaragua, Costa Rica
Guatemala, Honduras, Salvador Nicaragua are CA-4 countries
Most countries take U$ cash.
Many speedometers are imperial and metric.

We know of a couple that drove down from Michigan last year in their Honda CRV.
They said they would not do it again. Had to pay bribes and make sure they did not drive at night.
It cost them way more then they thought. It would of been a lot cheaper for them to fly.
Now they have to pay an import duty on the car.

Hi Wingman,
Can you give me some good point that I need to know. I'm driving my 2012 Honda goldwing on May 1-31/20 from Markham,Ontario to Panama via Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua and Costa Rica.
Thanks Lennin

Hi Lennin,

Make sure you have your original bill of sale for your motorcycle, your current registration and insurance for the bike as well as several copies of those documents. At every border crossing I was asked for a copy of those documents as well as copies of my passport and driver's license. I'm not sure if that is still the same process, it was 10 years ago that I made my trip.

Never keep a lot of cash in your wallet. Do keep a $10 US bill folded up and tucked in behind your driver's license, when you pull out your license the 10 bucks can be used as a bribe.

I didn't travel on the quota highways, I went on the libre highways. The paid highways are faster if you want to reach your destination sooner, but I enjoyed  the scenery on the free highways.

I can get 350 kms out of my bike so filling with gas wasn't a problem.

I didn't travel at night. I didn't stop in remote areas. I made sure someone knew my estimated travel time and expected destination. I blogged every day so people were aware of where and what I was doing.

I was able to have my tires changed in Costa Rica and I found a really good mechanic in Panama City to change my springs to progressive springs and change the air cleaner as well. I try to do my own maintenance but I  didn't  want to pull my Goldwing apart and not have the tools (or knowledge) to put everything back together.

If you can learn basic Spanish that comes in really helpful as well.

Let me know if you need any other info.

Kevin

Also be careful of the policia muertes (speed bumps). I had to go cross way on most of them, they are a lot bigger and not gradual like the Canadian speed bumps.

Hi Wingman,
I don't have a copy Bill of Sale because I purchased used from a person. I have the ownership and registration, do you think that will work.
Thanks

Hi Lennin

Yes that should work. Make a lot of copies they charge you to make copies at the border.

Thank you

Have a great ride!

Buena Suerte! You will need it, with all the gangs in several of the countries you are passing through!