Retirement communities in Ecuador

Hello. My husband and I are considering a move from the USA to Ecuador or Chile in 2022. Any suggestions on warm places in smaller cities, or countryside areas, where there is a larger expat community? We are retired but active people that enjoy hiking/walking trails, museums, archaeology,  gardening, reading and we will be practicing our Spanish before we get to either country. We will also be interested in meeting with expats, realestate agents, and a long term rental property while we are evaluating where we might want to permanently settle.  Thank you.

gunky1213 wrote:

My husband and I are considering a move from the USA to Ecuador or Chile in 2022. Any suggestions on warm places in smaller cities, or countryside areas, where there is a larger expat community? We are retired but active people that enjoy hiking/walking trails, museums, archaeology,  gardening, reading and we will be practicing our Spanish before we get to either country. We will also be interested in meeting with expats, realestate agents, and a long term rental property while we are evaluating where we might want to permanently settle.

Dear Gunky,

Welcome to the Ecuador forums of Expat.com ...

Vilcabamba in southern Ecuador ticks the boxes for a smaller city or countryside area with a high percentage of Expats, possibly the highest percentage in South America.  Plenty of hiking and walking is possible, plus world-class gardening, and, of course, reading.  Excellent soil -- it's world famous for growing.  The longevity of the Vilca residents is legend.  It's a small town with a lot of North American residents.

That's smart to rent long-term while evaluating where to settle. :top:

Museums and archaeology -- you might need a larger city.  Cuenca comes to mind if it's not too large a city for you.

Vilcabamba has the warmth you are looking for.  Cuenca is cooler and might not check the box.

--

From Vilcabamba you could travel by air to explore Chile.  I've been to Chile -- spent a week in Puerto Montt and a few days in the capital, Santiago (the latter being too large for what you want).  Puerto Montt is far, far away from places I know (except the Patagonia region) and presents problems if you need to go to North America due to distances.  Beautiful scenery, though.  Fewer Expats, probably more Europeans than North Americans.  Cold weather in the wintertime and adjacent partial seasons.

cccmedia

Thanks so much for your insights.