CRNM and visa status

Hi ,

I hope you are all safe and happy.

I am applying soon for Authorizacao de Residencia em Base de Reuniao Familiar.
My question is: will I get a stamp on my passport confirming that I have applied for CRNM or no? Or will I need to leave Brazil until my application is processed and a decision is made?

Thank you ❤️

SameDame
You will not get a stamp on your passport. If applying at the Consulate they will enter the stamp-approved documents you have provided. You will probably enter under a tourist visa. As soon as you enter, go to the PF office and apply for the family reunion. (If lucky the consulate will enter document they have approved in their system, MJ system is different than the MFA
Since you may have some documents stamped by the consulate or legalized if not a citizen of the H Convention. You will need an apostil if you are a member of the H Convention.
Remember Consulates can issue Visas but the PF has the final say.
Once you apply you will get a "protocol number" keep it safe. If you have every document approved by the PF the protocol will note such and you wait, but 99% will need another document(s) translated or some other action. The protocol will then have a date (last day) for your return date to provide the info required. (You can go earlier, but if you are having an issue (es) go and advise the PF and they can extend the protocol.

Texanbrazil wrote:

SameDame
You will not get a stamp on your passport. If applying at the Consulate they will enter the stamp-approved documents you have provided. You will probably enter under a tourist visa. As soon as you enter, go to the PF office and apply for the family reunion. (If lucky the consulate will enter document they have approved in their system, MJ system is different than the MFA
Since you may have some documents stamped by the consulate or legalized if not a citizen of the H Convention. You will need an apostil if you are a member of the H Convention.
Remember Consulates can issue Visas but the PF has the final say.
Once you apply you will get a "protocol number" keep it safe. If you have every document approved by the PF the protocol will note such and you wait, but 99% will need another document(s) translated or some other action. The protocol will then have a date (last day) for your return date to provide the info required. (You can go earlier, but if you are having an issue (es) go and advise the PF and they can extend the protocol.

Thank you for the information.
I am actually applying for this while i am inside Brazil at the PF not in a consulate outside Brazil.
My question is: Will i need to leave BRAZIL until my application is processed ??? Or i will be able to wait the decision here????

Thanks

If your application is accepted,  no.  The protocolo that the Federal Police gives you will serve as your permission to remain in the country.

As Texanbrazil wrote, if any of your documentation is deficient, the Federal Police will give you the opportunity to cure it.  If you can't accomplish that in Brazil, you will need to return to your country of residence to do so.

Got it.
No, if given the protocol you may stay. Be sure to return on or before date(s) on the protocol. Now if denied you will need to leave.
During my process, I had many protocols (Same # but dates and information changes.)  Thank goodness I kept everyone issued because one was not entered and I had to show the protocol

SameDame wrote:

Hi ,

My question is: will I get a stamp on my passport confirming that I have applied for CRNM or no? Or will I need to leave Brazil until my application is processed and a decision is made?

Thank you ❤️

I realize you are in Brazil and I was in the USA when I began, but my in-country experiences would be the same, I believe.

Based on my experiences last December 2020, for finalizing my CRNM based on Family Reunion, I had started with the Consulate in San Francisco 14 months ago.  Covid had closed the Consulate after that and that all changed during the year. My original application was gone. When the Brazilian Consulate re-opened last September, they processed my new and different VITEM application and documents all online and by US Mail.  They approved my VITEM XI in the form of a new sticker, almost identical to a Tourist Visa, in my U.S. Passport and returned my approved original application, nothing else.

Upon my entry into the airport in Brazil last December 2020, at GRU, I did not use the tourist lines at Passport Control, I went through the Brazilian citizen and Resident line, which was correct. They asked for my U.S. Passport, but they had to have, in their hands, my approved VITEM XI Application from the Consulate, and they welcomed me into my new country.

I had hired a facilitator to complete my process and to obtain the all-important appointment with the PF in SP for my final application process. He had no real trouble in making the appointment with the SP PF. I arrived 15 minutes early and after about 20 minutes, we were taken inside and the process was quickly completed, including a temporary Residency document, and a signed letter for pre-approval to open bank accounts in Brasil. Everyone there was courteous and professional. The entire process was quick and easy. I would say they did not ever "make a decision", I tend to think they simply look for obvious reasons to deny, not to approve, it was quite simple actually.

My U.S. Passport was not added to, or changed in any way, other than the VITEM XI sticker pasted in by the Consulate in SF USA. The PF in SP countersigned the VITEM XI sticker in my U.S. Passport and dated their signature  Four weeks to the day later, my CRNM was issued and picked up at the PF in SP. No other documentation was ever provided to me, just the one plastic card I pray never to lose, (yes, I scanned it into my computer and made several disbursed copies of it, just in case). My CRNM is permanent, never expiring, thank you, God.

abthree wrote:

If your application is accepted,  no.  The protocolo that the Federal Police gives you will serve as your permission to remain in the country.

As Texanbrazil wrote, if any of your documentation is deficient, the Federal Police will give you the opportunity to cure it.  If you can't accomplish that in Brazil, you will need to return to your country of residence to do so.

In this case, (not having a stamp on the passport) I would show the protocolo that they will give me  in case of documet check in the street?
Am I getting it right?

Correct. Always carry it with you.
If you lose it, first time then they are little chippy. The second time, prepare yourself to ask to be seated until the very last person is helped.

Awesome guys!!!! Thanks a bunch for all the information

I'll partially disagree with my friend, Tex, on that one (sorry, Tex! 🤠)

As soon as you have the protocolo, stop at the nearest cartório and have an authenticated copy of it made.  Carry the copy around with you at all times, put the original in a safe place at home - just don't forget where you put it!

adhiksaw,
In order to work in Brazil as a non-citizen, you need a sponsor in Brazil who will request you be given a work permit to work for the company.
Maybe you can find companies in which you have an interest and apply for an open position.
In Brazil, it is hiring Brazilians first! Any company wanting to hire a non-Brazilian must prove there are no Brazilian that can do the job.

You cannot work in Brazil under the majority of visas.

Texanbrazil wrote:

adhiksaw,
In order to work in Brazil as a non-citizen, you need a sponsor in Brazil who will request you be given a work permit to work for the company.
Maybe you can find companies in which you have an interest and apply for an open position.
In Brazil, it is hiring Brazilians first! Any company wanting to hire a non-Brazilian must prove there are no Brazilian that can do the job.

You cannot work in Brazil under the majority of visas.

Yes TEXAN please, another question about the ability to work.
Will that protocolo allow me to work or no?

Oh, no abthree!!!!!!! Well if I was smart enough back then I would have done this. Great Idea.
Back in the beginning I disliked the cartório more than PF. Sometimes I think cartório swings a bigger stick in Brazil.
Pf was less than 1KM away and one line for foreigners.
Cartório, man they have so many sections to get lost in and 10KM away.
Now it is like "Cheers" in this small city everyone knows my name. (Many still cannot pronounce my name but the know it)

abthree wrote:

I'll partially disagree with my friend, Tex, on that one (sorry, Tex! 🤠)

As soon as you have the protocolo, stop at the nearest cartório and have an authenticated copy of it made.  Carry the copy around with you at all times, put the original in a safe place at home - just don't forget where you put it!

Once you have the actual CRNM, you are supposed to carry it though.  So, then what, just hope and pray you never lose it or have it stolen?  You cannot make an authenticated copy of the card, can you??? When in the USA, I keep it locked in my rather large and quite heavy gun safe. I never have it with me, or leave it out.  But while in Brazil?

No, you can not work until you have your CRNM in hand, then you need to apply for a work permit as well as a bank account.

Think he is speaking only as to protocol! If you have a CRNM you will need the real thing every single day it seems. Now once I got the CRNM I had my first 2 pages of my passport cartório make an authenticated copy, so I do not carry it all the passport every day.

Hello,
First of all the answer is no. You won't receive a stamp in your passport.
The document you will receive will be the decision in case of judicial process or “união estável”  certificate in the case if you will do it extrajudicial.

Moderated by Priscilla 3 years ago
Reason : no free advertising please
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
rraypo wrote:

Once you have the actual CRNM, you are supposed to carry it though.  So, then what, just hope and pray you never lose it or have it stolen?  You cannot make an authenticated copy of the card, can you??? When in the USA, I keep it locked in my rather large and quite heavy gun safe. I never have it with me, or leave it out.  But while in Brazil?

Scofflaw that I am, I followed the same procedure with my CRNM:  kept an authenticated copy in my wallet, and kept the original safe with my passport in a drawer at home.  The original only came out for meetings with officialdom, like getting my driver's license, my Labor Card, etc.

I always figured that if I was going to have to make a special visit to the Polícia Federal anyway, I'd rather have it be to show them the original of my CRNM than to report a stolen CRNM.  As things worked out, I was never asked to show my documents in a street check anyway.

Hi Dear,

I'm in a progress to get my permanent visa residence from federal police. I got my CRNM before and at this time I'm waiting for that. I would like to inform you that you don't need leave Brazil during this process, due to you have their permit to stay in here.

Best wishes

Heres me chiming in here - So got my Vitem XI and to start the RNE process do i need to apostile documents still though it was processed at the canadian consulate.  and apostile is just your country verifying your documents required correct ? if so I will need to do some same day UPS shipping from my city here, but after the documents are presented you can get your RNE / etc afterwards ?

Mikeflanagan wrote:

Heres me chiming in here - So got my Vitem XI and to start the RNE process do i need to apostile documents still though it was processed at the canadian consulate.  and apostile is just your country verifying your documents required correct ? if so I will need to do some same day UPS shipping from my city here, but after the documents are presented you can get your RNE / etc afterwards ?

Mike,here's the thing.  Canadians don't have to get apostilles, because you can't:  Canada strangely is not a party to the Hague Convention,  so all of your Canadian documents need to be legalized at the Brazilian Consulate responsible for your province.  If you've done that,  then you're home and dry.

Canada ordinarily is such a strong supporter of multilateralism that I posted the question in Quora of why you're not in the Convention:   the non-answers were instructive.  Mostly silence, and a few mumbles about  "Canadian Federalism" and "provinces".  I think that people were hesitant to say the Q-word, at least on English Quora.   ;)

Welcome back, BTW!

Yeah thanks glad to be home. Well i wouldnt peg canada as multicultural on the aspect that its pockets of culturalism lacking the sense of inclusion. Lol but you are right. Ill have to ups them the documents then get it sorted. Thanks for clarification on that lol. Its about time i sorted this all out because not having proper identification has limited me in operating a few business ideas. Rip. Soon to be sorted lol

rraypo wrote:
SameDame wrote:

Hi ,

Thank you ??

I realize you are in Brazil and I was in the USA when I began, but my in-country experiences would be the same, I believe.

Based on my experiences last December 2020, for finalizing my CRNM based on Family Reunion, I had started with the Consulate in San Francisco 14 months ago.  Covid had closed the Consulate after that and that all changed during the year. My original application was gone. When the Brazilian Consulate re-opened last September, they processed my new and different VITEM application and documents all online and by US Mail.  They approved my VITEM XI in the form of a new sticker, almost identical to a Tourist Visa, in my U.S. Passport and returned my approved original application, nothing else.

Upon my entry into the airport in Brazil last December 2020, at GRU, I did not use the tourist lines at Passport Control, I went through the Brazilian citizen and Resident line, which was correct. They asked for my U.S. Passport, but they had to have, in their hands, my approved VITEM XI Application from the Consulate, and they welcomed me into my new country.

I had hired a facilitator to complete my process and to obtain the all-important appointment with the PF in SP for my final application process. He had no real trouble in making the appointment with the SP PF. I arrived 15 minutes early and after about 20 minutes, we were taken inside and the process was quickly completed, including a temporary Residency document, and a signed letter for pre-approval to open bank accounts in Brasil. Everyone there was courteous and professional. The entire process was quick and easy. I would say they did not ever "make a decision", I tend to think they simply look for obvious reasons to deny, not to approve, it was quite simple actually.

My U.S. Passport was not added to, or changed in any way, other than the VITEM XI sticker pasted in by the Consulate in SF USA. The PF in SP countersigned the VITEM XI sticker in my U.S. Passport and dated their signature  Four weeks to the day later, my CRNM was issued and picked up at the PF in SP. No other documentation was ever provided to me, just the one plastic card I pray never to lose, (yes, I scanned it into my computer and made several disbursed copies of it, just in case). My CRNM is permanent, never expiring, thank you, God.

Wow thank you that?s useful info. My hubby is applying for the VITEM XI from his home country so things can be easier when we get to Brazil. Would you mind telling me what documents you had to show PF for the CRNM application? If I?m not mistaken, when you apply for the CRNM with an existing temporary visa (VITEM XI, in this case) you only need to provide a few documents, correct? I?m asking because apparently you don?t need to show a police clearance to the PF (which would saves us up a lot of time).

If it's a consular visa. The amount of documents I used was my passport. Passport photo. That's it. But varies per consular per country. By default I go with everything in the event they say oh you don't have x document. So I can put a swift stop to that right away. Just ask at the pf. You can go most have an attendant that can awnser your questions in person.