Moving from NZ

Hi

We are considering moving to Nairobi. I would really love advice from people already living there on whether this sounds like a good deal to help us live comfortably by Western standards -

My husband has been offered a job ($6,000 USD per month, taxed at 5%) with a package including accommodation, petrol allowance, medical insurance and utilities paid for.   We have 2 pre-school aged girls.

Is there anything in particular we should ensure is included in the 'package'?  Eg, I understand it is important to have night security guard.

Also, if there are any Kiwis in this forum it would be great to hear tips from you re setting up bank accounts, phones etc. We would be living in Nairobi for about 4 years (if the job goes well).

Thanks for your help

Hi and welcome to Expat.com Coughtrey :)

I hope other members will be able to advise you soon!

Regards
Armand

You would be taxed @30%. Make sure you're salary is pegged to the dollar to protect you againtst the depreciation Kenyan Shilling.

Additional expenses will come from school fees, domestic help and initial relocation costs.

Hi coughtrey,
The salary is a good one considering other expenses have been taken care of such as accomodation,petrol allowance,and medical,these expenses can really cut into your budget!.If you can be paid that money in dollars the better,as you will discover our currency is always unstable!Housing can be found within the area,a fully furnished apartment 1-2 bedroom ranges from 80,000-130,000 kenya shillings currently the dollar retails at a bout 90 shillings to the dollar.At least for your children there are still young so you may not really spend much in terms of schoooling,you may need a nanny or househelp,you may not need a guard,as the apartments always have  aguard stationed on the gate 24hrs,for further enquiries call me o +254721805443.
Regards
Roger

Coughtrey, hello!
We just moved to Nairobi. Considering schools: children here go to school since 2-years-old. Schools with English carriculum are really good here.
But while looking for a school for our 5-years-old daughter we found out that classes are full and they have a long waiting list. So it would be better for you to aplly to some schools in advance.
Of course if you plan to enroll them to school.

For example, Braeborn school, Braeside, International Kenyan school, Hillcrest, etc.