Can i survive in london

hi all i have been offered a job in langdon park,south east london starting in march and with a salary of 25k a year.

just wondering how i will go on that salary????

also how far is blackheath from langdon park???

is there a tube station that goes to both?

people are telling me the cost of living is very expensive also

chers guys

alex.

Hi Alex,

yes London is expensive.  However to put that into perspective, I am a Canadian expat and a student at that.  So it is doable.  I do not know what prices are like in that specific area, hopefully someone can give you prices but I would check out Gumtree.com to get a feel for that area's pricing. 

The tube/bus is very comprehensive here so there will most definetely be a stop either right there or very close.  The system may look to someone new confusing but its very straight forward and easy to navigate.

I could help you with more information given, what country are you coming from?  That depends on how expensive London feels as well.  As a Canadian when I do the conversion it makes me sad :( so I try to not do it in my head which was hard the first couple months.

Also for housing, there are lots of options.  Last year I was living with one other woman in her house and I hated it.  It was clean and my actual street was quiet and clean but it was in Woodgreen (North London) - not the best of areas - at least by the tube station.  It was dirty and lots of drunk people around on the weekends.  Now I am in Turnpike Lane (still North London) and even though it is only one tube stop away and within walking distance I love it.  I have everything I need in walking distance and I am under a 2 minute walk to the tube station.  Now I live in a house with 5 other roommates, all students.  Its clean and a much better fit for me, though I did view quite a few places before settling on this one.

The best resourse I have found as well is the London Transport website.  You can plan your journey and its comprehensive, letting you chose the tube or buses or a combination.  So if you decide to not live in that exact area where you would be working you can test out travel time and figure out how far/close you want to live.

Hope this gives you somewhere to start!

Melissa