Question on Dependent Immigration - Malaysia

Hello,

This is Hari from India.
I have been offered a job & employment VISA for 2 years by a company in Penang. My Spouse will be given a dependent VISA.
I would like to know if there are any legal implications/Government rules on the dependent spouse looking out for a job in Malaysia once she joins me in Penang?

The details of my spouse is as follows :
Qualification : Bachelors in Engineering , Computer Science.
Job Experience  : 2 years in IT domain.
Also Is there any minimum salary limit that the employer has to offer to the dependent spouse to obtain a work permit ?

Regards,
Hari

Hi she can't work without a work permit. at 23 she is too young for most expat wp jobs so it is almost 99.9% certain she won't find legal work. Many expat wives in KL just take to shopping! It happended to friends. Maybe start a family a good idea? lol

Hi

Sorry but this information is incorrect. Your wife can work on a dependant pass providing she writes to immigration and receives a letter granting her permission

pwcias.com/webmedia/doc/633728795653275316_ias_immigration_my.pdf

See Family members  the 4th paragraph

Also she is not too young for a work permit, as she works in IT she can receive a work permit at 23 provided she has two years work experience which from your post she does.

The minimum salary for a expat to receive a work permit is RM 5k.

Yes and no - the conditions are the same for a standard work permit. You need a job offer and satisfy same criteria as a wp holder. Also of course that means an employer has to help with the paperwork so same difference for them. That is why KL is full of unemployed expat wives and even big employers have problems finding work for spouses. Friends had that issue and even highly skilled wives got stuck. You can't rely on it at least. But yes IT workers in cyberjaya can work younger and that is a field most likely to find work although have to be highly skilled as most IT jobs in Malaysia are low paying as local IT grads are two a penny.

Its never too hard to find a job for a skilled worker. If your wife is into software development then there are brighter job prospects.
I would also second other posters that sometimes its not that easy, there is a 50/50 chance. But thats how it is so chill and give your best.

Finding a job as a dependent in Malaysia is very tough. Most of those who do end up having to compromise and either get a much lower package than their skillset would command, or get a job that does not fit their skillset alltogether.

If you are a software developer, you better have skills that no one has in Malaysia, because the number of unemployed with a degree in computerized science and IT is scary.

Hi
My wife got an opportunity in Malaysia (Kualalampur), I will get dependent visa.How can I convert dependent visa to work permit.
I am B.Tech in Industrial Engg and having experience around 12 years. Skills Lean & Six Sigma.

Can anyone tell me about job prospective in Kualalumpur.

Dear Harpreet
Please refer to Mattbaker's post above. In addition to that, I would suggest you to start searching for a suitable job for yourself as well. Better to initiate talks with the companies here and let them know that you will be on dependent visa. All to save time after you reach here.
Cheers..!

Hello harpreet_soin82 and welcome to Expat.com!

This thread is 2 years old.
I suggest you to start a new thread on the Malaysia forum for more visibility. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi,

My child is about 3 years old. If she gets admitted in KL, in that case whether parents can get dependent visa or not to stay with my child in KL?

Pls help me to get to know this.

iamkamrul wrote:

Hi,

My child is about 3 years old. If she gets admitted in KL, in that case whether parents can get dependent visa or not to stay with my child in KL?

Pls help me to get to know this.

Get admitted where?