URGENT Moving to Glasgow with family of 4 cost of living

Hello all,

I've been offered a position in Glasgow for which I have to give an answer very soon. I've made some research in the internet and used websites like numbeo and expatistan.

For a family of 4 with more or less 'standard' expenses (living in a reasonably decent area, no private schools for the kids, some domestic help, etc.) it is giving me a monthly budget in a range between 4.400 to 4.800 pounds.

I don't live in the country and there is no way I can validate those assumptios, which by the way are above what the company is offering me.

Any idea? It sounds to me a very high budget, but I cannot tell for sure and numbe and expatistan seem to validate it.

Thanks to all in advance!

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I thought at first that you'd messed up, then I re-read what you'd included and that's about right.  Domestic help would be a high expense, you're effectively hiring somebody; so perhaps do without that, most people in the UK manage without it.  However, if your getting paid a high salary and can afford it, then why not.

The majority of people in Scotland live and work in what's known as the "Central Belt", which is basically a line across Scotland between Glasgow and Edinburgh; perhaps you can get more bang for your buck by finding a place in between the 2 cities, there's very good public transport to get you to and from work.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

In the UK, if you cannot afford to live in the city then people generally live outside in satellite towns and such. Also, the majority of people put their children into state schools anyway. And most of us do not or cannot afford to have full time domestic help, although it's common to have a cleaner come around once or twice a week and pay them £20 - £30 each time for a house clean.

As for house rental prices, take a look at Zoopla or a similar website, enter the area you are searching and set your radius limit and other details and you'll see what is available for rent.