Long term accommodation in LPB

Hi everyone,

I am looking to move Long term in Laos but I am currently based in Singapore.

The housing section of this website is down so I'm posting here instead. I am looking to live Long term in Luang Prabang, farm and live off the land. Does any one know if foreigners can own land? I googled and got conflicting information. If anyone has experience, please share. Will be very grateful!

Love and light,
LS

I have lived in LPB, Laos for 18 months.   You can not own land here.  You can lease and build but the land can only be owned by Laos.

Best site to get info for starters is FB "Expat Luang Pra Bang"

Are you planning on working or needing visa?  If so, once you are on FaceBook site search for Chris Barth.  He and his company provide free advice... and most of us expats rely on him for our yearly visas and other semi legal kind of stuff.  Great guy to work with  ( i have no financial intetest in his business).

Douangpachanh Documentation & Services Ltd is the company name.

@bruce2laos

Perhaps Chris Barth would like to place an advertisement in the services section at the top of this page.

I was told being a foreigner you are unable to purschased a property.  You have to know someone you can trust or via marriage.  I was planning to live in Laos for a few months myself.  I will be going to Laos again within a couple months here and do some more research on residing in Laos.  I go every year and want to established something for myself.  Keep in touch with me email me if you would like.

Thanks

What part of Laos you lived in ?  I am planning to stay/live there for a few months myself.  Any advice would be helpful..

Thanks

~Phon~

I live Luang Prabang.  You can get initial tourist visa for 30 days and extend up to an additional 60 days.  Living here is easy, there are many many places to rent for a month or two, it is  safe and friendly, and after paying rent, the cost of daily living isvery low.  If u have specific questions you can reach me at ***

Moderated by Priscilla 4 years ago
Reason : do not post your personal contact details on the forum

Hey there!
Me, my wife and my son are planning to move to Luang Prabang. In your opinion, how much would your salary have to be to live decently (small house with garden, good food, be able to visit the country, activities for the kid..). I think 2000 USD would be a minimum, as I read that appart from rent, life is pretty cheap.
Thank you for your advice, take care.

We had a house built 10 years ago on my gfs moms farm. Its right on the Mekong river a few miles north of Pakse. We would spend two months in the winter there before covid.

Last time over we hit Vang Veing for a spectacular balloon ride while the sun rose over the mountains.

Did zip lines there as well. Then headed south to the 4000 island and did more zip lines. Also took a boat tour to spot the irrody dolphins. Then back to the farm to just relax.

Let us know how it goes when you get there. Best of luck.

The fishlocker.

Imo, some of the best and most current info with questions like yours can be found on various fb groups for laos.  Most of them are very well moderated so no trolling is allowed.

2000 USD a month is more than the folks I know make but they are all farmers and their lands have been bought and paid for decades ago. As for myself I blow through money when there as its more of a vacation so we are traveling and doing touristy stuff.
  On a side note one day I went to the ANZ Bank in Pakse to withdraw my 200 daily allotment and as my gf and her brother were telling me to hurry up I inadvertently left my ID ( drivers ) and credit cards on the counter.
  That evening I realized this at 10pm. They were all like dont worry about it and I was worked up into a tizzy just because.
  Well the next day at 10am we went to the bank and sure enough my cards were there. It was a local business man that found them and turned them into the bank manager. I was amazed and wrote the man a thank you note and left them both a reward.

On the way out I said to my gf I should have gave them more money. She said its not about money but about carma. Do good and good happens to you.

I left that day with a whole new perspective on life. Unbelievable as that just doesn't happen in the USA unless you're in a small town where everyone knows you. Got to love Loas for that.