Accomodation and MUst Do Activities from an Expat's Experience

Hi Guys,

My friend and I will travel to Laos at the end of January 2011.This will be our first time to visit the country.I would be very happy if you can share some information about your own experience and other information which u think is worth sharing to first time travellers to Laos.

We are also looking for a backpackers hotel to stay which doesnt charge much but offers safe and clean services.We have Ventianne and Luang Prabang as the firts 2  destinations.If you can suggest some other places , we will take it into consideration.

At the moment we are thinking of flying from Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam to Laos or take the bus from Cambodia to see more places.

I guess, this is all for now.Thanks in advance :-)

Hello annawang :)

I wish you a nice trip. Do not forget to come and share your travel experience on our web community.

I also hope that other members will answer your query soon.

Regards!

I'm typing this from a cafe in Luang Prabang.  My suggestions for Laos would be:

Luang Prabang (beautiful city, great photo and cultural options)

Vang Veing (Famous for the tubing party scene but its also a nice village town in a gorgeous mountain setting.)

Vietianne (The capital, its nice but not somewhere you need to stay for long)

4000 islands (Dondet and Don Khon islands in Southern Laos.  Very sleepy.  A good place to lay in a hammock and relax but very little going on.  Pretty, but not as pretty as VV or Luang Prabang)

Thats about it.  You can organize a homestay if you really want to get off the tourist path, but nothing else that developed.

ATMs are few and far between so bring money to exchange.

Here is a link to my blog if you want to read more:
http://www.michaelbartolomei.com

Have been coming and going from Laos for many years, married and living in Vientiane; anywhere in Laos is great to experience.