English guy - looking for work HCM

Good Afternoon All,

I'm currently preparing to leave the UK to move to HCM  with my wife (Vietnamese national) and would like to find work before i arrive.

I have 30+ years shipping / logistics experience (currently employed as Logistics / Operations Manager) and have a degree is business admin / e-commerce.  I also have a TEFL certificate (120 hours) but no teaching experience. 

I would consider most office based positions, and also as an interim a teaching position. 

Having searched Vietnamworks and various other job sites I suspect that my success is being hampered by my location (once docs are legalised I'll be set to move)

If anyone knows of a company looking for someone with my background and skills, please let me know

regards

I recall that you brought up the topic of employment in shipping/logistics a few months ago.  I see that, perhaps in response to a moderator suggestion, you posted a classified.  I am curious if you got any responses to your classified.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 91#4621949

He did, and your advice was to "be deceptive" to get a job .... Perhaps your advice was ineffective ?

jefJones wrote:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=853091#4621949

He did, and your advice was to "be deceptive" to get a job .... Perhaps your advice was ineffective ?

My advice was to apply at DHL.  See post #11.  You seem confused.  :/

sorry, got you confused with "colinoscapee" .... ive no clue why i nearly always get the two of you confused with each other.

Afternoon all,

I have had a few months preparation to move to HCM - but now really need to concentrate on a job..  renting an apartment for 5-6 months is possible without a job.  But I guess its still a gamble.

Many jobs listed, some are really good and some par for the course.  Not chasing the top of the tree job.. happy to work upwards, happy to be busy also - as long as the prospect of future promotion is there.

I get the feeling that a lot of the jobs sites post jobs for months and months and never seem to fill the vacancy ??  is this normal ?

Also on a side note... is it tricky to navigate the apartment / property market.  I see many adverts list what looks reasonable priced only to be told the price is higher..

Jlgarbutt wrote:

Afternoon all,

I have had a few months preparation to move to HCM - but now really need to concentrate on a job..  renting an apartment for 5-6 months is possible without a job.  But I guess its still a gamble.

Many jobs listed, some are really good and some par for the course.  Not chasing the top of the tree job.. happy to work upwards, happy to be busy also - as long as the prospect of future promotion is there.

I get the feeling that a lot of the jobs sites post jobs for months and months and never seem to fill the vacancy ??  is this normal ?

Also on a side note... is it tricky to navigate the apartment / property market.  I see many adverts list what looks reasonable priced only to be told the price is higher..

The vast majority of the Job listing websites are more designed to collect CVS data and then sell off that data to 3rd party HR companies ( Yes the large portion of those classifieds are fake as hell ) .... Just like everything in Vietnam, NOTHING is what it appears to be.

The Rental advertising in VN is always scammy as hell! You wont find a legit & decent rental without a local Vietnamese to search FOR you ( Meaning you should be searching for a vietnamese person you can trust for BOTH a job, AND a rental ). You had better have a viet person who you sincerely trust, or you are going to either get ripped off by a landlord, a RE agent, or the person you thought was trust worthy in hopes of searching for you.

You may as well budget yourself for at least 2 weeks in a hotel while you are in VN searching for a rental. And you may as well get on social media searching for a few viet people to build a "trust" relationship with.

And you may as well accept the fact that it is not a matter IF someone takes advantage of you, but WHEN.

jefJones wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:

Afternoon all,

The vast majority of the Job listing websites are more designed to collect CVS data and then sell off that data to 3rd party HR companies ( Yes the large portion of those classifieds are fake as hell ) .... Just like everything in Vietnam, NOTHING is what it appears to be.

The Rental advertising in VN is always scammy as hell! You wont find a legit & decent rental without a local Vietnamese to search FOR you ( Meaning you should be searching for a vietnamese person you can trust for BOTH a job, AND a rental ). You had better have a viet person who you sincerely trust, or you are going to either get ripped off by a landlord, a RE agent, or the person you thought was trust worthy in hopes of searching for you.

You may as well budget yourself for at least 2 weeks in a hotel while you are in VN searching for a rental. And you may as well get on social media searching for a few viet people to build a "trust" relationship with.

And you may as well accept the fact that it is not a matter IF someone takes advantage of you, but WHEN.

They may very well...

Luckily have a Vietnamese wife.. I would like to able to sort some of these things myself rather than have to keep asking the wife..

Thanks for responses, at least it isn't me going crazy at the job and rental ads..

Jlgarbutt wrote:

Luckily have a Vietnamese wife.. I would like to able to sort some of these things myself rather than have to keep asking the wife..

I strongly suggest relying on your viet side of the family .... you may or may not have decent in-laws ... but even worse case scenario, they will protect their own interest! In this case, YOU are their interest even in the worst of circumstances!

It is far less stressful having to watch over your own shoulder at a handful of people than the alternative of having to watch out for a few million people! Trust me when i say TALK to your family as much as you can ... you would be surprised at how much smoother life is around here with a group of people assisting you ... We all have to start out at the bottom and learn as we go, and nobody is going to expect you to walk in the door and know EVERYTHING for the first few years!

jefJones wrote:

sorry, got you confused with "colinoscapee" .... ive no clue why i nearly always get the two of you confused with each other.

I'll take that as a compliment.   :cool:

glad to know that my senility is complimentary to others....

jefJones wrote:

Im still trying to remember your previous username, Im sure it will come to me soon.

colinoscapee wrote:

Im still trying to remember your previous username, Im sure it will come to me soon.

JOSH

colinoscapee wrote:
jefJones wrote:

Or maybe he is another user with a second user account.

i just stated my name ... i'm always known as "Jones" in some format or another. I just don't stick around long... but i pop in every few months.