Job Searching

Afternoon all,

I often apply to many jobs in various sites like vietnamworls and Hrchannels. But I'm sure that being still in the UK, despite numerous qualifications and 20+years experience I still get turned down because of my location.

Does anyone else have experience of this? Or if any recruiter has some feedback or suggestions i would love to hear from them.

I married dmy wife back in January and she is from Tay Ninh but works in saigon, so I have positive reasons to relocate to work... 

Comments tips.. Anything really thanks

in all honesty, you are attempting to apply "western standards" to "Viet Nam".... NOTHING that i have found here is even remotely close to anything that resembles a "standard" much less a "western standard" ( I do consider EU to be of "western Standards" to be clear )

The problem with your assessment of "vietnamworks" is based on the premise that you believe their profit is derived from providing access to "skilled employment". It does not, nor does it sell anything other than YOU. ( Literally... YOU are the product ). 2nd Problem is that you believe that "skill" exists in VN .... IT DOES NOT (at least not based on any statistical significance ).

the word "qualification" itself in VN is based on the "belief" that a "standard exists" ... it does not. VN does not have a single university that is "accredited" .... which means that "qualified" would then have to be questioned "Qualified according to whom?".

That does not imply that there are not MANY expats that are not in Vietnam and clearly generating revenue. However, the large majority of the "successful ( you can define that however you want ) Expats" generally conduct themselves in a way that does not relate to the domestic environment. ( It means we do not do things the Vietnamese way )

Jlgarbutt wrote:

Afternoon all,

I often apply to many jobs in various sites like vietnamworls and Hrchannels. But I'm sure that being still in the UK, despite numerous qualifications and 20+years experience I still get turned down because of my location.

Does anyone else have experience of this? Or if any recruiter has some feedback or suggestions i would love to hear from them.

I married dmy wife back in January and she is from Tay Ninh but works in saigon, so I have positive reasons to relocate to work... 

Comments tips.. Anything really thanks

Dont tell them you are in the UK and see if that makes any difference.

withholding information is akin to "deception".... which is the "Vietnamese Way" of doing things. Which I warn you will shift your current problem to a problem later in time, result in the same problem you have now, and ultimately be more costly of solution.

LAST MOMENT EDIT: ( this is in no way a personal attack at "colinoscapee", especially considering that "colinoscapee" does in fact provide valuable insight in many areas throughout these forums ), however a reasonable person can conclude that deception simply results in additional deception.

JGJones wrote:

withholding information is akin to "deception".... which is the "Vietnamese Way" of doing things. Which I warn you will shift your current problem to a problem later in time, result in the same problem you have now, and ultimately be more costly of solution.

Not really. Not telling them he is in the UK and then getting accepted for an interview will tell him his location is an issue.

Where you are when applying for a job is irrelevant.

IF an employer is seeking to employ people, and (ALL NATIONS) having regulations that apply differently between domestic residents and foreigners, and you are in fact projecting or hindering the comprehension of those factors. ( how is that not deceptive? )

WORSE... if you are simply withholding "I am not anywhere near the location of employment", it later becomes a disadvantage of "Salary" ....

The employer can THEN claim that you did not disclose information regarding residency and now becomes aware of additional cost of employing you, and thereby SHOULD reasonably pass on that "cost" as a deduction from your salary.

End Result is the "lower Salary Offer" all at the cost of NOT disclosing factors. You not only most likely wont get the job, but also be in a position to ONLY have an agreement at a disadvantage to yourself.

JGJones wrote:

IF an employer is seeking to employ people, and (ALL NATIONS) having regulations that apply differently between domestic residents and foreigners, and you are in fact projecting or hindering the comprehension of those factors. ( how is that not deceptive? )

WORSE... if you are simply withholding "I am not anywhere near the location of employment", it later becomes a disadvantage of "Salary" ....

The employer can THEN claim that you did not disclose information regarding residency and now becomes aware of additional cost of employing you, and thereby SHOULD reasonably pass on that "cost" as a deduction from your salary.

End Result is the "lower Salary Offer" all at the cost of NOT disclosing factors. You not only most likely wont get the job, but also be in a position to ONLY have an agreement at a disadvantage to yourself.

Geez mate, talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Its obvious you missed the point here and then start rambling on about deception and other irrelevant jibber.

As I said and please note... OP apply for the job and see if your location is an issue, then the you can decide what to do.

Now that our Mr Jones has been re-banned, could we return to the business at hand?   :cool:

Could the OP detail exactly what field he has 20+ year of experience?  Is he seeking employment in the same or would he consider a change?  Without knowing the occupation it is difficult to get a realistic reply, hence a Mr. Jones.   :mad:

THIGV wrote:

Now that our Mr Jones has been re-banned, could we return to the business at hand?   :cool:

Could the OP detail exactly what field he has 20+ year of experience?  Is he seeking employment in the same or would he consider a change?  Without knowing the occupation it is difficult to get a realistic reply, hence a Mr. Jones.   :mad:

Damn!... I was just starting to warm to him. :joking:

I have over 20 years experience in logistics and shipping, but wouldn't rule out a change of career.

I think the most important part of any job is stability and a challenge... Nothing worse than being paid and sitting around with little to do

I suspect that part of the problem may be that logistics and shipping at the customer service level almost inevitably involves speaking the appropriate language.  I think someone in a similar situation asked here less than a year ago.  If you feel you are qualified for upper or middle management, you might consider applying directly with the multinational companies in your country (DHL, FEDEX, UPS?) with the stipulation that you are looking for work in Ho Chi Minh City.

I should have pointed out my current position is senior management..  DHL would be tje dream job, but I suspect there is a huge number of others also looking for a job with them.

Oddly enough I get inundated wihh English teaching jobs..  Just goes to show demand in some areas higher than others

THIGV wrote:

I suspect that part of the problem may be that logistics and shipping at the customer service level almost inevitably involves speaking the appropriate language.  I think someone in a similar situation asked here less than a year ago.  If you feel you are qualified for upper or middle management, you might consider applying directly with the multinational companies in your country (DHL, FEDEX, UPS?) with the stipulation that you are looking for work in Ho Chi Minh City.

Quite a few expats work in this field as they need to deal with English speaking clients. You may have more chance of a job when you can actually turn up for an interview.

It seems my favourite troll is gloating about being able to circumvent the banning system. Seems to be an obsession of his, maybe caused by childhood trauma? If there's one thing I would not be proud of, it's having to constantly bypass banning systems, but maybe it's just me!

WillyBaldy wrote:

It seems my favourite troll is gloating about being able to circumvent the banning system. Seems to be an obsession of his, maybe caused by childhood trauma? If there's one thing I would not be proud of, it's having to constantly bypass banning systems, but maybe it's just me!

Yeah, same guy who ranted about dishonesty and deception. Must be lonely being him. Im sure he will be back with another username.