Bank account opening

I am planing to move to Belize from EU  in Oct.2011
For the initial 12 months(30 +30+30etc) days  renewals and, till permanent residency is aproved, can someone open a bank account???
Or the same S.American style (bribe, bribe) prevails in order to open one??
Please help
Panos Li

Hi Panos!  You can absolutely open a bank account in Belize before any residency has been approved.  You will need to fill out an application at whichever bank(s) you choose, provide them with some information, and then the Central Bank of Belize must approve you, which usually takes about 1 1/2 weeks. No bribes involved.

I wrote a couple of blogs on my website about banking in Belize you may want to check out.  Good luck!  Sharon

To open an account at a Belize bank, you need a ton of documentation.  You can check their websites for exact details, but when I opened my account at Atlantic Bank I needed the usual: passport & other identification, proof of permanent address (whether in Belize or not); and also a letter of reference from your bank in your home country stating that you have an account there and what your current balance is, and also one personal reference letter from someone in Belize, like a businessperson with whom you've worked (realtor, attorney, contractor, etc.).  In lieu of that you can have two reference letters from financial institutions, like one from your bank and one from an investment company or something. The letters have to be in unopened envelopes and either mailed directly to the Belize bank or delivered by you, but addressed to the Belize Bank.  It was a total pain for me and my banks didn't understand what was needed so it took some time to get accomplished.  Apparently it's part of the offshore banking regulation. Go in when you have lots of time, all of the documentation you think you need plus (call ahead and make sure), and you are feeling very patient.

Thank you very much

hello panos li
ive done some research on the internet and connie is right!
however it might be a little easier to go through a lawyer. more costly but might be worth it.
i will be using a law firm myself because i need to open an ibc (international business corporation) for my forex tradeing.
im thinking about the law firm partnered by the prime minister. if anyone can help im sure he can.

I used Belize Bank and didn't have to go through any of that unopened envelope bit - that does sound like a pain, Connie!. They took copies of my two bank reference letters, and then a copy of a letter my attorney in the States wrote for me as a personal reference, along w/ an application and passport.  It really wasn't that hard.

I wouldn't go through an attorney for a local bank account or an IBC.  You'll pay double to open an IBC through an attorney, as I found out after I opened my second one. Just go straight to one of the offshore banks and they can open the IBC for you, but I found it easier to do after I had my local account opened.

Sharon