Atlantic bank

So from what I hear, Atlantic seems to be the Corozal bank of choice for expats?

If you have QRP status, it's my understanding you can have both a regular bank account (BZ currency) or an off-shore account, which would be in U.S. currency.

Qrp= qualified retired person yes? I am only 33, where would that leave me?

S.O.L., I'm afraid, since you wouldn't meet the age requirement for QRP status (Qualified Retired Person).

You can stay as a visitor, with a month to month
visitor's permit -and after 12 months you can apply for permanent residence.

Thanks! We are wanting to make Belize our permanent home so we want to get all the details worked out!

Hi

Hello girardlaurent66 ---> Something valuable to add to this topic than a simple 'Hi'. Thanks. Karen :)

teamheisler wrote:

So from what I hear, Atlantic seems to be the Corozal bank of choice for expats?

We have an Atlantic Bank account.  Just make sure you have all your paperwork. Savings Accounts

What do I need to open a savings account?
•A valid Social Security Card or Passport. A birth certificate is accepted in the case of a child that does not have a Social Security Card or Passport.
•Minimum initial deposit of $10.00, $20.00, or $500.00 depending on type of account being opened.
•Proof of address (copy of utility bill).
•For non-residents, 2 banker's references from established financial institutions with at least 18 months banking relationship and a valid passport.

We were also told that we had to have to have a current bank statement showing that there was money in the accounts back home.  We weren't told this earilier and weren't prepared to produce a statement.
We were told they wouldn't open the account until we gave this info.  I had my husband go to the bank machine, take out $20 and print a receipt - This receipt had a balance on it and they accepted this!  :)  We also asked for a Token, which allows us to transfer money on-line between Atlantic Bank account users.  Handy when you need to pay for rent or owe someone money.  The on-line banking works o.k.  We also pay our BEL bill on-line.

Is there anyway that we can set up the account while living still in the US?  We are planning to come in October and stay until May.  We would like to set up the account prior to coming to Belize.  I also would like to know if anyone is using the credit unions. If not, please say why.  Thanks, Jodi and Mark

Thanks for the info! My wife's parents are headed that way in a month or so to start getting it set up

Yes,  you can open an acct while living in the US.  When you visit Belize, you will need to carry your ORIGINALS to the bank.  We went thru Ellis Sanchez the branch supervisor in Placencia.  Email him and he will send you what they require.  It was quite a bit that we had to provide and even though we thought we had everything, we were lacking one item and had to send that FedEx.  When the account was approved, we had to wire $1,000 USD.  They do not have a checking account - only savings.  When I inquired about looking at our account on line, they told me that they would send me a "on-line token".  Haven't received it as of yet...  does anyone know how that works?

The Atlantic Bank token creates a new "pass number" every time you sign on. That is in addition to your username and password.
The token is good to have if you want to do third party transfers, but is not needed just for paying BEL/BTL/BWS and others, or to just access your account.

Hello All

I am interested in any "banking" experiences you have had positive or negative with Caye International.

We are interested in setting up an account with either one of them and looking for reviews/feedback.  I have visited both their sites - however glossy (yes I was in banking).   I know the value of ACH or online bill pay etc., just wondering ease of set up/wire transfer abilities/etc.,

Thanks
Canucks waiting to do 50/50

in Corozal, people use the credit union for ease of use.