Can I start a company in Brussels and issue a work permit for myself ?

Hello, I am working in Belgium on work permit B. I was thinking of getting into freelance market here. Can I legally create my own company here and get a work permit issued for myself ? Will I still need a work permit if I work as an employee in my own company ?

Hello, yes you can do it.

https://www.belgium.be/en/work/coming_t … employment

As long as you're not a Belgian/EU citizen/member of the family of a Belgian/EU member ==> work permit. (to be clear: as long as you don't ask to be Belgian + you comply with each step needed to request it)
BUT, you're now a permanent resident in Belgium => way easier and faster to renew your work permit as the immigration has nothing to say anymore (as long as you stay in Belgium + renew your id card).
As long as you're working, you'll always receive your work permit without any trouble: "you pay tax in Belgium, Belgium is happy about it, here is your work permit."

They're several different types of company (different legal status) in Belgium, and each different types has different requirements and OBLIGATIONS toward the laws that you must ABSOLUTELY understand. (debt, bankruptcy, ...)
You should contact a tax expert + accounting to have correct advices depending on your case (I assume you don't know well Belgian laws, and I might be wrong, sorry in advance)

But in general, to be able to create a new company, it will nearly only depend on how much money you can provide + alone or with someone else (you must give money to your future company to create/open it)

bluelurker,

1) you can create a company (owner), but if you don't have residence / professional card you can't be a company's director (hire someone etc)
2) so you should hire someone to be a director of your company to hire you as an employee and issue a single work permit (formerly work card).
3) you can also ask for a professional card with residence permit to create and run a company. then you no need single work permit.

Thanks for such a detailed reply. It does seem a bit difficult from what you described.