-Postdoc in Taipei

Hello,

I just signed a contract for one year postdoc in electronics (I did my thesis in France...) . My contact is a professor at NTU (National Taiwan University). The next step is to request a labor certificate. In this context, several questions come into my mind.

1) My contact told me that the procedure "labor certificate " takes 15 days and 15 days for Visa. Does that seem correct?!

2) In terms of taxes and social insurance, what is the optimal approach to do?

3) With a salary less than 2000 USD, we live well?

4) What are your tips / practical approaches that I should do in France before coming in order to maximize the "difficulties" because of the language?

I have plenty of questions. But those questions are listed in priority ….

Thanks, …

Hey

Hi and welcome to the forum paipes23!

I hope other members will be able to advise you soon ;)

Regards
Armand

Hi paipes 23

Below is some input that is purely based on what you have typed in your message.Hope it helps.

1/If labor certificate means work permit then it can take any amount of time all depends on the time the documents are submitted from NTU to the government and how long it takes the government to process.There is no set time but 15 days if all is filled in correctly and no questions need clarification seems adequate enough time.
What kind of visa are you requesting.If a work visa then that is basically the same as a work permit which then can become a resident visa followed by an ARC card if you plan on staying in Taiwan after your one year contract.There is also a four-in-one now which combines all these processes into one.

2/If you are getting an ARC card which is a Taiwan ID card then you will have to pay taxes if your are collecting a salary and obtain health insurance.

3/What is "less than USD$2000"? Please be specific.Since you mention a salary I assume you will be working at NTU? Advise

4/Taiwanese at University level for the most part speak and understand English well enough to communicate with you.There is also a large French Community in Taiwan if you get homesick.I would suggest you brush up on simple Mandarin to get around the city.

Hope this brief helps.
Best BobK

Thanks you Armand and bobk49 for your help :)

My contact didn't tell me about the ARC card. I get a job “post-doc” for 1 year and my employer is NTU. As soon my labor certificate is ready,  I will ask for a visa to come to Taiwan. (This is all what i know !!) 

For the salary is 1900 $ (I have to pay arround 15% of taxes), So ?

Regards,