Latvian name and English name differences and UK Visa complications

Hi All,

I have recently gained Dual Latvian Citizenship and my Latvian name is very different to my English name which I have had forever.

I am wanting to get a Latvian Passport in wake of Brexit etc however am unsure whether to use the Latvian name or change my name (to English) for the passport. I need this passport to extend my stay in the UK for Brexit as I am from New Zealand.

Does anyone know the best way around this? Does it matter if I have two different passports with two versions of my name?

drilu682 wrote:

Hi All,

I have recently gained Dual Latvian Citizenship and my Latvian name is very different to my English name which I have had forever.

I am wanting to get a Latvian Passport in wake of Brexit etc however am unsure whether to use the Latvian name or change my name (to English) for the passport. I need this passport to extend my stay in the UK for Brexit as I am from New Zealand.

Does anyone know the best way around this? Does it matter if I have two different passports with two versions of my name?

Were you given a Latvian name only after you obtained Latvian passport/citizenship?

Latvianisation of names is rife and occurs automatically.

When I married here - my English Surname - which goes back hundreds of years was Latvianised on the Marriage Certificate.

The Dept offered to state both English and Latvian versions on it - but what actually happened was it Latvianised BOTH ...

What should have been Svetlana Luther if married in UK was agreed to be :

Svetlana Lutere (Luther)

but certificate actually reads :

Svetlana Lutere Lutere

I wish you luck ....

The strange thing is - my Residence Permit has my full ENGLISH name on ... without Latvian version.