First steps

Hey all,
I just bumped into this useful site, and it's a great opportunity to ask and maybe receive information about first steps in a new country. On 4th of June I'll be in Rotterdam (because on 6th of June I will begin my first day at work as an structural engineer).I'm moving from Romania (Galati). I think first things first will be to make some friends with a “know about” starting with the right foot. I'll need a place to stay (any suggestions?) I've mailed some rental agencies and wait for their reply.
Thanks

Hi Axeleon,

Welcome to Expat-blog! :)

I hope you'll meet lots of new contacts on the site.

All the best,
Christine

Hello Axeleon.

Firstly, congrats on getting your job!

Me and my partner recently relocated to The Netherlands from The UK, and we live in Hilversum (quite a bit from Rotterdam!)

But I can give you advice about finding a place to stay. I would check out expat forums like this, and maybe local Rotterdam ads for shared flats/houses and rent a room at first.  (This would also help meet people too)

However as we are a couple, we thought the best option would be to find a place of our own.  Luckily we found somewhere, but it has been expensive! Not only that, but if you do use an estate agenct to find you a properly, you need to pay them a months rent for agency fees!

So I would bear this in mind in your search. Good Luck, and hope you enjoy living in The Netherlands :)

Thanks j0anne,
I'm still on the look out. I've also tried some rental sites (thru agencies) but I'm not sure on the transparency of the costs they practice.
God Speed

Hey all

i just got transfered from Tripoli (Libya) to Rotterdam, i will move next week, i will b e with my wife and my 2 years daugther,

so how is life in Netherlands ? for sure a lot different from Tripoli !!!

Thanks

Hello again,
It's also different from Romania also but in a positive way. So no need to worry much.
As for a place to stay I've found a nice apartment on a rental website. If you need help we'll keep in touch.
Good luck