Help with a bank?

Please can someone help - my bank accounts are with HSBC - but I do not think that they re Casablanca - what do you advise?

HSBC is not present in Morocco, I suggest that you open an account with a Moroccan bank once you get here then wire your money over.
Another option is to check with the Moroccan consulate to see if there is a Moroccan bank in the UK.
You can also check with City bank and Arab Bank if you can open an account there and have your funds available to you here.
The last alternative is to use your debit/credit card here your withdraw money or pay your bills.
Good luck

I bank with BMCE and have a 'dirham convertible' account. This is quite good because it allows easy transfer to and from the account to other countries. However, I'm sure the other major banks here (BMCI, Citibank, Societe Generale, etc) have the same thing.

Also things like internet banking, being able to use your card online or being able to use your card abroad don't necessarily come as standard, so you probably want to look through the websites before.

Cheers,

Rich

Hello Rich-

Since this is an old post, I'd like to follow-up to see if it's still accurate? Are you still in Morocco? I've recently been offered a job in Casablanca, but I do need to continue to pay my bills back in the U.S. I've been reading that Moroccan currency is a restricted currency, and therefore very difficult to convert. Is BMCE still a dirham convertable account?

Can you further explain the restrictions on internet banking? I manage all of my finances online, and need to access my accounts at least once a month. Does this mean I won't be able to make online payments?

If I can't take care of my financialy obligations on a monthly basis, I'm going to need to decline the job offer. So any info will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Shin-Shin

Hi Shin-Shin,

I can Answer your question! to open a Convertible dirham account , you have to deposit funds in USD or Euro or any other foreign acceptable currency in Morocco , and it will be exchanged on the spot to the equivalent Moroccan Dirham amount , so that your account will be in Dirhams! , however you have the right to transfer your money out of Morocco in any foreign currency as long as you prove that the source of money was from outside Morocco!

good luck!

Thanks for your info Mahmoud.

I came across a site that stated if you're a foreigner working in Morocco under an official contract, then half of your salary can be deposited into the convertible dirham account on a monthly basis. Here's the link to the site:

http://www.expatfocus.com/expatriate-morocco-banking

But as with all the information I've been coming across on this subject, it seems to be dated. Banking rules and regulations change over time, so I really need current information on whether or not a foreigner on an official contract can deposit a portion of her salary into a convertible dirham account that can then be wired into a US account.

I also need to know if Morocco has any restrictions regarding internet usage (like in Saudi Arabia), as I also must manage finances on a monthly basis.

I've also come across info (again dated) that Paypal is an option for transferring funds while also being free of fees. Has anyone done this?

Any current info from someone there now would be greatly appreciated!