Keeping fit in Ecuador

Hello everyone,

Keeping fit during your time in Ecuador is of utmost importance. How about sharing with us and your fellow expats how you keep healthy in your host country?

What are your daily health hacks in Ecuador?

Do you exercise regularly? What is your go-to sport?

Do you manage to keep your diet healthy and balanced? How easy is it to maintain a balanced diet in Ecuador? Are you able to find organic products easily?

Are there national or local incentives to foster a healthy lifestyle: sensitisation campaigns, sports infrastructure etc. ?

How much of your monthly budget is dedicated to keeping fit?

Please share your experience,

Priscilla

What are your daily health hacks in Ecuador?

In the Andes' high altitude, any kind of cardio is good and this includes walking. Calories burn faster up here. Less oxygen means your body works harder thus burning calories quicker.

Do you exercise regularly? What is your go-to sport?

Running. Quito has large parks that one can run freely at. The gym is good too. As for exercising regularly, I used to exercise and run like clockwork. Then I moved neighborhoods, so I need to get my grove back and be consistent.

Do you manage to keep your diet healthy and balanced? How easy is it to maintain a balanced diet in Ecuador? Are you able to find organic products easily?

It's kind of effortless to eat healthy here. Fresh protein, vegetables, and fruits are in abundance and available everywhere. I can't remember the last time I ate fastfood.

Today for instance, I ate guata with potatoes, a little rice, a salad and big bowl of crab soup. That was my breakfast and lunch or brunch. For dinner, I'll probably have a baked fish or turkey leg. Throughout the day, I love tea and coffee and always without sugar. That's not to say I don't eat sugary stuff because I do at times, especially Snickers and hanuta.

Some people claim Vilcabamba is a fountain of youth. As far as I'm concerned, it applies to Quito as well.

My husband and I walk a lot in Cuenca. Infact we find it easier to walk than drive down the narrow streets. Doing the steps down to the river is also quite a good work out. In addition we live about 45 mins out and have plenty of work to do on the land so basically all this keeps us fit enough. However having said that... Both of us love yoga and plan to do some in Cuenca.
Regards
Shireen Jones