Public school for an expat

Hi all,
Im new to the forum and enjoy reading the Q&A,
Me,My wife and 2 boys (9Y & 3Y) will be moving to Amsterdam this december. One of my main concern about schooling, can someone help me with below request please.
1. worried about Elder one, will he be able to pick up dutch language as we will be looking for public school due to high fee for Intl schools.
2. is it easy to get admission to public schools? as its not beginning of schooling year.
3. Does all public school of Amsterdam maintain same level of education and other activities?
4. If i choose to live in amstelveen,amsterdam. should i choose my housing first or look for school first?

thanks a lot
:)

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

To answer your questions:

1.  I don't think you have to worry about your 9-year old; they stream the kids for further education at age 12 in Holland, so he has plenty of time to learn to speak/write Dutch.
2.  Yes.
3.  Yes.
4.  In general, all Dutch primary schools are the same; I would find somewhere to live first.  Amsterdam is very expensive.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thanks to your prompt response cynic. hope this would ease my tension really.

can you list few places near to Amsterdam zuidoost as an cost effective living area, my office at zuidoost. and i would prefer to have some home country's neighbour community as well. i know amstelveen (but its an expensive)

thanks again!

Hi and welcome back.

To be honest, I can't think of anywhere in Amsterdam that is not expensive.  Amersfoort is just over 30 minutes away by train and is significantly cheaper (commuting anywhere by car is really bad in the west of Holland); the Numbeo website offers price comparisons; this link will take you to one for Amsterdam/Amersfoort.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thanks Cynic. your answers are always quick and informative.

Hi
please suggest, what documents should i provide to get admissions in schools at Amsterdam? eg: transfer certificate. does it have to be ministry attested?
we are moving from Dubai schools.

Hi again,

There is nothing you have to bring (except the children of course).  When we brought our 3 to Holland, we (wife and I) had an interview with the Headteacher before we brought them to attend; then we brought the kids to meet their new teacher the following day and they started the following Monday.

If your children have any special needs, it may be worthwhile asking their current school for a written summary of what those needs are and how they are currently being met.  Or perhaps you have questions, write them down and bring them with you when you meet the Headteacher.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thanks again,
do they go public school or religious school? and what is your opinion to Bilingual school?

Hi again,

Our kids all went to a state school; we never even considered a religious school.  There are no public bi-lingual schools; they are private schools and very expensive, again, we never even considered them for that reason.

However, if you want your children to learn other languages, for an example, my family all speak and write 3 languages fluently (Dutch, German and English), they were taught them in school, but they speak them at a far higher level than you would expect from the school tuition.  There was no specific reason for it, they just did, it was the environment they grew up in (albeit we were living in a border town with Germany, which may explain the German side of it).  What I'm saying is that kids pick up languages very quickly, especially when parents don't try and stop them; more importantly, kids gain confidence while doing this, which helps them a lot in later life.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

thanks to your response. you are always a motive :)