Living in Amsterdam while going to school in Leiden? Possible?

Hi, my name is Lisa and I will be moving from California to the Netherlands next year.  I was accepted to a master's program in Leiden.  However, I have always wanted to live in Amsterdam.  Is it possible to live in Amsterdam and commute to school in Leiden?  Is it far?  I have seen that it takes 30 min. by train from Ams. Central.  Should I just live in Leiden?  Will it cost me a lot of money for train tickets? 

Can I get an OV Chip card for a year?  Or will I just have to refill it with money throughout the year?

Any advice would help me out.  I have been trying to research about this...and I am getting more info..but I really need to just speak with someone who lives in the Netherlands. 

Thanks,

Lisa

Hi Lisa

Public transport is very good here in Holland and I've never been late using it to get anywhere in North Holland, (Thats not to say it is always on time, my own experience has been good). Regarding your chipkard, been a student you may be eligible for discounts or get a free one, (not to sure), I have to fill mine up when it runs out, but you can put as much money on it as you like, (€20 lasts me about a week). 
Amsterdam is where all the fun is and you would meet a lot of expats there, but you have to weigh up cost of living and what you can afford before you make your choice. Amsterdam is expensive to live in, if you find a house share it will cut down on the bills and be easier but rents are high.  If money isn't a problem then I would choose Amsterdam personaly.

You can PM me if you want to know anything else.

Cheers

Bill