Thrift Clothes in Phnom Penh

I start thinking of starting thrift clothes shop in Phnom Penh and seeking for you'all ideas. What do you guys think about thrift clothes?

I think you are onto something.  But be aware, there already is an underground thrift clothes market here. Those in the know about them.  Thrift clothes must be good quality, since many entrepreneurs go to thailand and china and bring back in bulk. If you can not sell shorts and shirts for 3$, pants and dresses for 4-5$, etc... People will still buy the throwaway knockoffs.  Also, locals just exchange clothes to each other. So find a place not too near major clothes market like central or russian but maybe near a local semi western food market is best.  Also, you can get a steal on clothes from japan if willing to buy a whole cargo container of them.  Just look online at different sites for offerings.  Japan ships them here as philanthropic mission and then sells the whole container cheap.  Then they cost you 25 cents a piece.  Nice profit margin then.  And their clothes are western style. Get friendly with someone at the japan recycle store and ask how they got involved. They mostly want to sell the kitchen and appliances. They might let you take the clothes at a pallet price.

Good luck.

Thank you so much Iamshane41 for your useful information.

Thank you so much Iamshane41 for your useful information. For my concept I want to sell second hand clothes with a good quality ( and yeah I thought about second hand from Japan too)  and make it clean before sell.

Vdalin,  i will make one more suggestion to you.  A lot of the existing second hand clothes shops here ignore one or two thing.  They do not iron the clothes so they look second hand, buy a good steamer or iron and hang them up. A lot of the clothes are better if you do not wash them, just steaming them to get out wrinkles and steam will sanitize them. They will look new.  They might even want to wear them out of the shop.

Also, think about putting together outfits like a store does in your shop.  Mannequins are cheap, and a few in your window or on the street is a great sales tool.  Especially with a low price on it that noone can beat. I call that a loss leader, they see the clothes on mannequin cheap and it brings them in to investigate.  Also, advertise sales on certain days to kids, women, etc...  Dont think like a secondhand store, think like a retail professional, with low overhead, low product cost, and higher profit. Just make it worth it for customers to shop,with you.

Finally, if you open a shop,  be sure to put big signs with prices in Riels and dollars, nothing makes a customer more mad than to not know what a price is or if the price tag is so small they can not read it.

Ran a retail store in USA for a while before i sold it to partner. Learn from my experience.

OMG You sound so expert. you're mostly right. currently I am finding and searching for resources, study about customer and location ( consider open in BKK1 block), and the important thing is start up cost. Again I am really appreciate for your very helpful reply:)

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Commercial offer.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct