Passport Req'ts for Dual Citizens Entering Hungary for a Quick Visit

I asked a question about the legality of dual citizens entering Hungary with their non-Hungarian passport (based on similar laws in force in my the other nations of my citizenship), and wound up enlighted on the virtues of posterior cheek clenching, man bags, Lake Balaton swimwear and the controversy swirling around the notion of passive radar.

The internet; it's a truly astonishing place.

klsallee wrote:

Some direct answers (from a fellow American -- we like to get to the point):

marklivesinla wrote:

Guys, I appreciate your answers. But I think the jist of what I'm asking is still not clear. Have any HUNGARIAN citizens (such as myself), entered Hungary ON THEIR OTHER FOREIGN passport.

My wife is native Hungarian, but a dual citizen with Switzerland. She has entered using here Swiss passport in the past.

marklivesinla wrote:

The reason I ask is because I don't want my entry to be interpreted in any way is "returning to Hungary." This is because I do not want to create the false impression that I am creating ties to Hungary. As a dual citizen who has never lived in Hungary, I do not want to ever be concerned that I should have any tax concerns.

Hungary does not tax its citizens based on citizenship like the USA. Only on residence. A short visit to Hungary, no matter what passport you use, will not cause tax problems. Nor does it matter what passport you use, as your passport will be scanned at some point, and potentially cross referenced, so TPTB (the powers that be) if they really bother to check, will know who you are no matter what passport you use.

marklivesinla wrote:

I also am simple asking about the LEGALITY of Hungarians coming into Hungary on a foreign passport. For example, Australian, and American citizens MUST use their native passports when entering the country, even if they have a passport from their other citizenship.

Hungary has no such law that I know of. But I am not a lawyer.

Thank you. This answer was very much on the mark and precisely the information I was looking for.

marklivesinla wrote:

I asked a question about the legality of dual citizens entering Hungary with their non-Hungarian passport (based on similar laws in force in my the other nations of my citizenship), and wound up enlighted on the virtues of posterior cheek clenching, man bags, Lake Balaton swimwear and the controversy swirling around the notion of passive radar.

The internet; it's a truly astonishing place.

The problem here is that some of us are serial wafflers who don't know how to shut up.   Others are more restrained.  Most days I wish I was the latter as I spend far more time here than is healthy.

Good luck and enjoy your visit to the land of gyulasleves, great plains, unicum and palinka!

I did warn Fluffy that we were getting a bit off topic....

fluffy2560 wrote:

Good luck and enjoy your visit to the land of gyulasleves, great plains, unicum and palinka!

I second that, as a serial gofrer. Welcome to Hungary!

I have multiple citizenship. Law is you enter and exit that country with its passport.  Simple.

blonder wrote:

I have multiple citizenship. Law is you enter and exit that country with its passport.  Simple.

Not as simple as that. 

My relatives enter the UK on their Australian or NZ passports regularly even though they have perfectly good UK passports. 

And my kids enter Hungary on their UK passports too (even though they have HU passports too). 

Nothing to say they cannot do that.

Google the law regarding which passport used to enter and exit.  For example US and Canada it's illegal to enter exit using another passport if you are a citizen.

blonder wrote:

Google the law regarding which passport used to enter and exit.  For example US and Canada it's illegal to enter exit using another passport if you are a citizen.

Maybe for there, but certainly not for other places.  They don't actually care. 

We had this discussion earlier on.   

If one enters on a foreign passport and they (the authorities) find out one is a citizen, then one cannot expect consular assistance from the other country with which one also holds a passport.