Leaving Costa Rica with a dog

Hello,

I am thinking about adopting a dog here in Costa Rica  and taking it back home when the time comes.
Does anyone know what is the process of exporting a dog to EU country?

Thank you and best regards,

Richard

It 'seems' to be quite simple  :/ as long as your pet has all the required vaccinations within the desired time period before you leave the country and you can  produce the necessary health certificate that your local vet should be able to give you, that your destination country requires.
It can travel 'in cabin' if under 10lbs including carrier or as extra-baggage if under 100lb. including crate. If larger, it will have to travel as cargo and that is expensive.

Some good info. here

BRAVO Richard ! I have adoptes MANY over theyears they are the BEST ubkike the  depresses or hypa pedigees which many ,even locals but from the abusive "Puppy Mills which we animal activists are trying to get closed down for the cruely that bekolds" Puppy Momas" beaten to have sex then having thier "babies rippd awau  from them  in org=der to SELL.THEY don't dogs have feelings..and then when Momla can have no more ahe  is kicked mecilessly into the street..  poor sad creatures ..
They make GREAT pets with the love they need are getting the best most loyal less nuerotic dog (or maybe 2 ? so Enjoy I LOVE to here the word ADOPT. I wish MORE would do it

As for taking it home You used to just have a Vet sign that he/she is in good health and had all shots required .check for any latest changes Ido nor think you have to pay anyone although some may try out your feelings..
THE INFORMED VETS WILL KNOW... OR  "GOOGLE TAKING A PUPPY HOME TO USA"
GOOD LUCK I HOPE YOU TAKE TWO  haha

By the way that banner ad  of    " El Tranquilo Lodge and apartments "   which I did not online... travel agent did .. is MY property WOW..nice to be again famous LOL pebs

Hello and thanks for answers.
I have done little research. It looks that EU has standardized policy on importing dogs, cats and ferrets.  There are even EU pet passports...
The dog has to be chipped and provided with pre-entry rabies antibody titration test from EU approved lab. The closest one is in Mexico:
https://ec.europa.eu/food/animals/pet-m … ed-labs_en
Is there someone with first hand experience?
Thank you.

Obviously not so simple...as first thought  :rolleyes:

Hi there, we just did the rabies test for our adopted pup in the the US (Houston, I believe). The procedure is following: your vet gives two rabies shots to your pup to make sure the test results are good. A month after the second shot they take a blood sample and centrifuge it. Your vet sends the sample in a cooled box to the lab in the US. 15 days later your vet will receive an email from the lab if the test is a good one or not (you obviously have to pay for it anyways). 15 days more and the lab sends a paper to your vet per mail which is then your pup entry paper in the EU (it has a special code on it). The most important thing you have to consider is that the whole procedure takes 3-4 months, as from the blood withdraw till you're allowed to enter the EU you have to wait for 3 months (it's considered a quarantine).  The test itself is 90USD but with the rabies shots and mail costs we paid a bit over 400USD. I don't think Mexico is a better option to be honest and it might take even longer. Good luck!

Thank you for the detailed info.

Thank you! Absolutely right. I wouldn't and haven't made a move without doing that. I travel with my husky. She gets First-Class treatment all day everyday, in every way and everywhere. She's always a priority.

Thank you.

fairly simple and as i have dopted many over the years it would be a thrill if you also contact me via email to find out the BEST safest well kept dogs check my profile for email please dont message me here i rarely have time to hang around ..Also if there is a mature room mate looking in fab area and climate also do yhe same..this home stay can be a bit tedious..good low rent on 3 acres of what guests always called a piece of heaven IEWS WIFI..COUNTRY  atmosphere yet close to everything oof inteest even food and pizza delivery..could be free if little help out with 4 adoable rescues and 1 timid at..huge spacious farmhouse plus 3 apatrments all furnished ..saved a fur baby
9 or 2  0 ;0excuse typos
pebbs /Debbie

Good morning,
I adopted a dog, and dye to covid, was stranded in US while my dog was in Escazu.
So, the rescue site recommended a pet moving company to get my dog to me.
However, updated vaccines are required with records, a statement from your vet regarding pets health us required, and an airline approved crate, very roomy, for your dog to ship in is necessary, unless you are planning to "carry on" your dog. Check with your airline to determine their requirements.
My dog arrived, healthy and happy to see me.
Once you have a dog, and a vet, I believe either you vet or rescue site may be able to assist. I used a rescue called Adopt a Street Dog from Costa Rica,  and they ship dogs frequently and advised. Good luck

wow!  I would have been on sedatives if I got separated from my dogs.