Can I import pets if they are reptiles?

Hello, we (myself, wife and kids) are moving to Costa Rica in December.  My Google skills must be lacking because I cannot fiqure out how to bring my kids reptile pets, a ball python and Greek tortoise.  Has anyone else here had to deal with bringing reptiles into the country?

You will need to check with your airline of choice as each will have it own specifications...but don't expect it to be easy or cheap.

I was thinking it may be hard to procure the carnivore diet the snake requires, as very few pet stores here, and those  may not sell what it needs.

You are probably right, I have an email to a zoo near Poaz asking for advice on this as well.  My boy has had this snake for four years, so we really don't want to leave it behind.

Rockfarm,

Be advised that all animal importation is regulated by SENASA.  You would need to obtain import permits for your snake and tortoise.  There is a lot you would need to do in order to get the permits and it will be quite expensive - guesstimate from past experience, about $800+ each.  IMPORTANT:  If 100% of the requirements are not met prior to your pet's arrival, they will be euthanized.

My daughter used to help people bring their pets in but with the many hoops that she had to go through and the "rules" changing with SENASA monthly, it just was not worth it.

- Expat Dave