Bringing my rescued dogs to Costa Rica

My husband and I, together with our four rescued dogs and possibly a fifth one that we are fostering want to move to Costa Rica from Miami, Florida by the middle of next year. The problem is that two of our dogs are Pugs which are too big to fit under the seat and cannot travel with the luggage because of breathing problems. The two large dogs could travel with the luggage but we don't know what to do about the pugs. We have tried to looking into ships that could take them or cargo planes but have n ot had any success. This is the only thing stopping us from finalizing our plans. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about that
Thanks
Ana

[Moderated: No need for these comments]

Have you tried Delta?
delta.com/planning_reservations/special_travel_needs/pet_travel_information/domestic_international_pet/index.jsp

PS. Do NOT try and ship them by boat...unless you know the Captian or know of someone bringing down there personal boat, cargo ship is not an option.

No, I would never ship them as cargo on a ship. I was referring about a freight ship that would let us travel as passengers with our pets. I will check out the Delta site. Thanks for responding

We've been researching this for months and months and I've posted some long pieces on another spot on this site.  So far, the most reasonable person I found was this one [email protected]  I didn't use him yet, but perhaps it's worth checking him out to see what you think.  Let me know what you find out.

Thank you for responding. Who is this person you are referring to?

BillA wrote:

[Moderated: No need for these comments]

well I've thought on the topic for a bit, and I disagree

'most' that come to CR do so to experience the "naturaleza"
not all for sure, some because its cheaper to live here (as a Tico anyways)
am NOT swayed by the company issue, hey - a dog is a dog in any country

what I can state from personal experience is that dogs will, and do, run off the wildlife
I have brought 2 (or 3?, lol) blue healers to CR and they were GREAT dogs
-> but when we had wild critters about the house was when we had NO dogs

I again experienced this with my granddaughter's dog 3 years ago
when I finally managed to send it to her in SJ - within weeks I had pisotes (my photo), all kinds of monkeys, toucans eating quadratos on the ground, etc. etc.

all about choices, in this case dogs or wildlife
of course if one lives in a city there is no wildlife in any case (other than those for whom there are bars on the windows)

newcomers not wishing to live in an urban environment should understand that dogs WILL diminish their experience in CR

->Moderator: all coins have 2 sides

Bill

The person is James Russo.  I did a LOT of internet searching for companies that will transport pets to foreign places and his prices were the most reasonable, plus he answered my email.  Some of the other people I contacted turned out to shippers from China and they are STILL sending me goofy emails several months later.

In response to having dogs in CR.  I'm sure they will impact the wildlife but these are our family members and we love them like children.  There's no way we would be happy living without them and not a chance on earth that we would leave them behind!  We'll just have to go hiking to experience the wildlife.

Thank you so much, I will contact him right away. As per our dogs, we would not go anywhere without them, they are all rescued dogs who knew abuse before we adopted them and they are our children, you are right. Are you in CR already or still in the States?

From Miami to CR - you could look into hiring a General Aviation pilot locally.  South Florida has a very healthy aviation community and you could likely find a number of pilots or Certified Flight Instructors at any number of the smaller airfields.  Most small twin engines have plenty of reach for that leg and it is a lot more cost effective than most people think.

Call a few local flight schools and ask some questions - couldn't hurt.  Also, maybe google 'mutt muffs' - hearing protection for dogs.  You'll have some very uncomfortable pooches w/o it in a non-pressurized cabin.  If I had my pilot's license I'd do it for cost, but I also rescue dogs and have a soft spot for pugs. :)

I'll be curious to hear what solution works out for you as my wife and I will have the same journey (MN -> CR) with three mini-dachshunds very soon.  Our dogs are our kids too, and no way do they fly as "baggage".  Best of luck to you!  Shine on.

Thank you so much for your response. I have contacted several private airline companies and have been quoted anywhere from $15,000 to $25,000 to fly us and our dogs to Costa Rica. As much as we love our dogs that is cost prohibited for us. Same thing with ships, I have contacted every cruise ship and also private ships and have not been able to find one that will allow pets on board, the only cruis ships that will allow pets are the European ships. I wish we were more pet friendly here on the States. There is a small airport by my house and I am going to do just what you suggested, I will also check the schools, as you said, there is nothing to lose.
At this point, we are in the process of trying to certify our pugs as "emotional support dogs" so that they can go in the cabin with us and the bigger dogs are going to have to fly as "luggage" but they are older dogs, one with an immune system problem and the thought of something happenning to them terrifies me.
I will keep you posted on the progress that we make.
Thanks again
Ana

I have quotes to fly us and the dogs to Costa Rica by chartering a private plane. Those quotes ranges from $15,000 to $25,000. Someone suggested to me that if two or three families can get together with their pets and share the cost of the flight this would be much more affordable. I was just wondering if anybody on this board would be interested in something like that or have any suggestions of where I could post in order to find some fellow passengers.

great topic since we have a dog (which is a family member) that would need to come out with us for a 3 month trial period.  Trial period being for me, my wife and our dog.  I have to agree that dogs can disrupt the wildlife in your yard but no more so than if you lived in the USA.  Would also depend somewhat on the breed.  Our girl has been "sunked" more times than I'd like to remember.  She does not seem to run off the coyotes either and she's 34 pounds.  Now Blue Heelers, well that's what they are breed for.  Keep unwanted wildlife away from the herd, flock, pack, whatever.  You were their herd, flock, pack.  Anyway a dog is not just a dog to some people.  For those that it is, fine.  For those that their dogs are a member of the family it's important to do what you can to bring them with you.  Just the other side of that coin.

I rented a little plane to come with all dogs and cat's
http://airchartercentralamerica.com
Very good poeple

All the best

I have this big same trouble.
I don't know how reach CR with my dog of 19,4 pounds ?
I am very desesperate with this problem (((((
Help, please ?

We've been researching the same thing because we have NINE (yes, that's right) rescue dogs in our family.  The two largest won't fit on a commercial plane because the weight limit of crate and dog combined is 100 lbs.  I've looked everywhere and one of the best options for us is to drive them down with a rented driver who does this and knows the ropes.  Here's the website link drivemeloco.com/dml-guide/index.php  It would cost us about $2,000 to rent the driver, plus the cost of my husband doing along and feeding everybody for a few days on the road. 

Other options are commercial flights such as Continental Airlines who have both in-cabin and cargo options.  I never checked the private plane cost although I thought about it.  How much does that cost?

If anybody knows of a better solution, I'd love to hear it too.