Canadian coming to Hungary!

Hello all,

New to this forum, hoping to get some advice and meet some people. :)
I am Canadian and eager to make the move to Hungary (preferably Budapest) for the upcoming fall. I don't know how common special education jobs are but that's what I am hoping to find out! I am also an ESL Instructor and looking forward to connecting with the teaching community and people in general!

I am going to hit the Visa and Moving forums ASAP as well.

Cheers,

Sara

Welcome to here :)

Thank you very much!

Don't forget to post something interesting!

Enjoy!

Hi there.
Welcome to Hungary. I am in here for two years and i can spewk hungrian as well.
I would love to meet you and have coffe and chat.  ;)

Hello!
Budapest in particular is a fantastic place, I think you'll love it!
Initially you'll probably want to meet some other expats to show you around/advise you on all sorts of things. There is a good expat community in Budapest, though it's also nice to not be too involved in this otherwise you may miss out on the 'real' Budapest.

The 'International Meeting Point Budapest' event happens every week I think:
http://www.internationalmeetingpoint.org/
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/222560347870189/

It's a place to meet informally with other people who've moved or are staying in Budapest.

I'm into software and tech stuff and there are always lots of events/talks where I've met both locals and expats, many becoming friends. I'm sure there are similar things in the teaching area. Plus other meetups like for yoga or cycling etc. I tend to look on sites like https://www.meetup.com

FWIIW : You will need a work visa.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply :)

Yes, I am aware I will need a work visa but I suppose my questions are regarding the type and how to get one. I have been doing some research and cannot seem to get a definite answer. I suppose it depends on the employment opportunity as well as the employer and what the company is willing to do.

smarkin wrote:

Yes, I am aware I will need a work visa but I suppose my questions are regarding the type and how to get one.

See this link:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 22#4081567

And then go to the menu item "Residences n Hungary". There is info there for visa for work, looking for work and other work related visas. All in English.

smarkin wrote:

Hi,

Thank you for the reply :)

Yes, I am aware I will need a work visa but I suppose my questions are regarding the type and how to get one. I have been doing some research and cannot seem to get a definite answer. I suppose it depends on the employment opportunity as well as the employer and what the company is willing to do.

Do you have any European heritage such that you can get a passport from an EU/EEA or accession country?

German? Irish grandparents? British?  Iceland?

Then you can just get a job immediately.

Worth a thought, eh?

amazing - thank you very much!

smarkin wrote:

amazing - thank you very much!

Irish grandparents is the top choice and you only need one!  Unfortunately too many greats (great-grandparent, great-great....) for me to claim a close connection.  Bejesus, 'tis unfortunately true.  You might be luckier.

If your folks came from say, Silesia (now in Poland, WW2, it was German), then you could claim German citizenship (but you might find that difficult - they don't like dual nationality).

Good luck!

fluffy2560 wrote:

If your folks came from say, Silesia (now in Poland, WW2, it was German), then you could claim German citizenship (but you might find that difficult - they don't like dual nationality).

Not quite true, well not for Brits anyway, they are allowing Brits dual no problem with the problem of Brexit.

SimCityAT wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Not quite true, well not for Brits anyway, they are allowing Brits dual no problem with the problem of Brexit.

Yes, only dual nationality between EU citizens.

I don't know if it's a German Govt policy or the result of an ECHR judgement.

If someone is a dual national, I don't know why they bother telling the other lot about the citizenship unless they want to see some renunciation papers.