Pay expectations in Hungary

Hi,

I'm in the process of applying to move abroad to Budapest with company I currently work for BT. I've been asked how much I'd like to earn in Hungarian FT. I currently earn about £29,000 Gross here in the UK but with standard of living being cheaper I'm not expecting the pay scales to translate directly. Can you advise on how much I should be looking to earn in Hungarian FT because im not expecting to still get £29,000 in Hungary?

Thanks

Simon

I'm not sure you'd see any reduction in prices unless you are coming from downtown London...
At this bracket you get about half your gross after taxes.

I don't see why you would accept an offer that puts you at more inconvenience and less pay.

Unless this means your place is then available for me in the UK? :-)

It would not be a good idea to work on the basis of salary alone.

If you are coming for a limited period typical for expats (say, 3 years), BT (British Telecom) should be paying quite a bit extra, some of which should include:

1) your living expenses here to cover the cost of maintaining two homes (presumably you'd be going back to the UK at the end of your stint here and you need to keep paying your mortgage)

2) providing you with expatriate health care benefits and access to English speaking doctors and dentists. Expensive!

3) educational costs for any children. This is a foreign country and maybe your kids need to be in an international school. This is expensive here.

4) Giving you a car so you can be mobile as your car presumably is right hand drive and you will incur costs in relation to buying and selling your vehicles. Cars are absurdly expensive to register in HU.

5) Pension rights. BT should continue to pay your pension provisions in the UK. Don't forget social security issues as well. This has tax implications as do many of the other items listed here.

6) Flights home or transport subsidy to maintain your life back in the UK.

7) Removal expenses/help with finding an apartment.

8) No loss of seniority when you return to the UK and take up your previous position.

9) Free advice/access to tax planning experts to ensure no nett loss of income between the countries.

10) Salary adjustments on the basis of at least the UK. Be careful about exchange rates. GBP is down these days and so is the HUF. If the situation changes, you could end up looking very expensive.

It is certainly not cheaper to live in HU than in the UK. As an expat, you will always pay more than the locals. There's always a premium.

If you get all the above and don't lose out on it financially, I'm sure it's a great adventure and experience, so go for it!

It does not rain all the time here for example!

:-)

szocske wrote:

It does not rain all the time here for example!:-)

Well, last 2-3 weeks were strange - like November with all that rain. At least it's much better now. Weather seems to be very unusual recently. Not at all like it usually is.

Thanks for all the replys about Budapest looks like it could be an amazing place to live for a while. I'm only 24 so i'm sure the experience will be good for my future. 

Whats the weather like in the winter? I hear the winters are quite harsh? How much snow coverage does Budapest have in terms of months? Also is there any ski resorts nearby? Either in other Countries or Hungary itself?

Thanks

Simon

SThornell wrote:

Whats the weather like in the winter? I hear the winters are quite harsh? How much snow coverage does Budapest have in terms of months?

Probably harsher than you are used to, we are deep inland, no ocean currents to keep us cozy :-)

We have the 3 winter months when snow can be expected, but it usually melts or is otherwise gotten rid of within a few days in Budapest. Out in countryside it can stay for weeks a time, often overlapping. Last winter we had A LOT of snow, the kids loved it :-) But "white christmas" is not granted.

SThornell wrote:

Also is there any ski resorts nearby? Either in other Countries or Hungary itself?

Within Hungary the opportunities are limited, but Austria and Slovakia are close and are great for ski trips.