I really need your advice!!

Hi everyone,

You've probably already seen tons of these topics before but I really really need a second (or third) opinion!

I'm 25 years old and from Germany. I've been with a software company for 2 years. I have a university degree, I'm a translator for English and French. But I'm also in consulting now, I give training sessions for our software, I also do a bit marketing.

I always wanted to work abroad and feel that this is the right time to leave my company and also Germany. It's just that I can't figure out what to do exactly and where to go. I'm a huge London fan. I lived there for 7 months 3 years ago and loved it!! I also really really like the US. I've been to California twice and totally loved that too (I know how cheesy that sounds ...). I'm also well aware of the difference between going on a vacation to some place and actually living and working at some place. For a European it's probably easier to get a job in the UK but I've always wanted to live in the US for some time, so I'm thinking "why not give it a try in the US once I'm at it"...

I really would like  and appreciate your opinion!! What would you do (also regarding my educational and professional background)? Is there anyone out there who was once in a similar situation?

The problem is that there is actually noone I can turn to when it comes to discussing this. My family and friends encourage my plans but I need some serious advice.

I also thought about getting a MBA abroad but that costs a fortune and I can't afford it ... not now.

I've been thinking about what to do for months and it's driving me crazy! I really need to make a decision very soon!! I know that there is not THE answer but I'd like to hear about your experience. I also know that it's me who has to decide eventually.

Please, please comment!! Thank you! :)

Hi CaliforniaLover,

I can't really give you any specific advice - especially about your particular industry. But there are a couple thoughts that come to mind. Hopefully someone else out there can give more specific advice to your particular situation.

The biggest piece of advice I can say is to do what you truly want to do, regardless of what may seem the best thing to do. I know that sounds corny, but my experiences are that you'll never regret it. Especially when it comes to moving across the world. If your life is in a place where it's feasible right now for you to do it - then go to California if that's what you really want to try. It may not be as easy to do in future years.

For me, I moved for school. I had to choose between a very prestigious university in the US, and the school I'm going to now. Where I am now (in Australia) has given me the opportunity to live and do fieldwork in Papua New Guinea. This was an experience I couldn't turn down. And truthfully, yes, sometimes I think "what if I had gone to that other university? I'd graduate with a degree from there, and getting a job would be so much easier. Especially if I decide to go back to North America." But overall, I have yet to truly regret my decision, because the things that I have done - particularly with respect to living in PNG - have been truly life-changing. And wonderful.

Now, on the particulars of your situation, and job prospects, etc. Isn't California where all of that computer stuff goes on? Sorry for my ignorance in this, because I really don't know much, but I thought that if you were in the computer industry, California would be the place to go. Of course, I really have no idea.

On another note, do you have any job prospects in the US? As far as I understand, it's quite hard to actually move there without a job lined up. And even then it can sometimes be difficult. But I've never done it, and I'm sure that there are other people on here that can advise you better on that (although you may already know!).

Also, have you checked out this post on the American Dream? I realize that this is likely not the reason that you're considering the US, but special k in particular says some encouraging things about the attitude towards Europeans living in the States.

Also, I think that it's good that you've been to California - you know what to expect. And sure, there are huge differences in some ways to living somewhere and visiting a place. But I think that this also depends on what type of visitor you were. If you just did all the touristy things, then this is probably very true. But if you mingled more with the people that live there, you might find it less true than you think.

Oh, a couple more thoughts. As far as I understand, it can be very difficult to find a place to live in some areas of California. I know I was once considering moving there, and here that commuting times can sometimes be hours! Obviously, this depends on what area you're going to. Also expensive - as far as North American standards anyways!

I have absolutely nothing to offer as far as London. I've never even been to Europe (with the recent exception of two hours in the Frankfurt airport - doesn't count at all!). So I'll leave that to someone else.

California is a beautiful place. (Been there twice myself.) And as you probably know, the culture along the west coast is much different to the rest of the US.

Hope something I said was useful! Good luck with your decision!

I totally agree with dmscvan.

Ansonsten: London ist eben schweineteuer, und unser allerseits geliebter Erschaffer dieses Forums hat gerade eine absolut miese Londoner Job-Erfahrung hinter sich...
Wie gesagt, mach einfach das was Dir am ehesten zusagt. Falls Du Dir zu sehr das Hirn zermarterst, entscheide einfach aus dem Bauch heraus.
Konkreter: der amerikanische Kontinent bietet manche Verlockung. Mit Deinem Background hätte ich allerdings mehr auf Kanada getippt, schliesslich sind englisch UND französisch dort amtlich. Wenn Du noch spanisch dazulernst, kannst Du's auch weiter südlich versuchen.
Ich persönlich habe vor rund fünf Jahren hier in Mexiko bei null angefangen und mich nach und nach hochgearbeitet. Ich habe allerdings auch andere Leute wieder enttäuscht abreisen sehen. Es kommt also wirklich darauf an, zu wissen, was man will und kann. Mut und Glück gehören allerdings auch dazu...

So. Hoffe, es hat geholfen...

Thank you so much dmscvan and Gryphon!!! I really appreciate it! :)

You seem to be very happy abroad! Thanks for sharing your experience!

dmscvan, you are right, I can't just move to the US and look for a job. I need to have a job, visa, etc. before I leave my country. It's definitely not gonna be easy and I know that there is noone waiting for me so ...

Gryphon, unfortunately, I've never been to Canada... I hear it's a great place to live though. But maybe I'd have better job opportunities there?

London is really expensive, I know, but California will be too.

I guess I'll start applying for a job in London and California (with California being my first choice). And maybe I'll try Canada too depends on how hard it will be to find a job.

The company I'm currently with is small and I know that my CEO is gonna kill me :rolleyes: ... I'm almost scared to tell him ... but I need to do this! Urgh!

Once again, thanks so much for your feedback!!

Oo - I'd vote for Canada too! Being patriotic and all, I have to say that Canada is way better than the States! (just kidding - kind of!)

But seriously, Canada is a great place, and I know I'm very biased, but I truly do believe it's a wonderful place to live. And I think it'd be a great place for an expat. I'd suggest checking out BC. Maybe check out this blog in the directory by someone from Switzerland who'l living in Vancouver. (I just found it today - I haven't read much, but I think I'm going to!) Of course, you won't find much French spoken there...Oh, and you aren't going to find anyplace in Canada that's nearly as warm as California (but I'm sure you already know that!). To me, this is Canada's only real downside - I don't know how important it is to you.

Nevertheless, it does seem like California is a place that you really want to go. I say give it a shot, look for the job, and if you can't work it out so that it happens, then consider the other places.

Good luck with this - and good luck breaking the news to your CEO when the time comes!

Thank you dmscvan! :) I'm already searching the web for job offers so let's see ...

Being a Californian.... I'd vote for Cali.

The cost of living is steep, but there are ways around it. Living with roommates, for example, can highly cut the costs or living in a smaller than usual apartment.

It's worth it. I'm from San Diego and I miss it so much that I will probably end up back there one day even though my heart and life is in Italy.

The weather there is always mild, sunsets on the ocean is perhaps one of the most beautiful things to see everyday and everyone is friendly and casual.

I'm not sure how it ties in with your professional life, but if you wanna go to Cali.... GO!

...just my two cents :)

Thanks special k! :) It's amazing that everyone encourages me to go to California! That's great of course and I'm happy about it!! It seems to be a little easier to find job offers in London though ... :rolleyes: ... but I'll keep searching! I'd do anything!!

And believe me ... I know about the good weather! I totally fell in love with the climate when I went there the first time :cool: But I need a job to be able to enjoy all this so ... but thanks for your thoughts!!

Hi CaliforniaLover,

Not cheesy to love California at all - it's a great place! I went to graduate school there. For someone from the Midwest, living among palm trees and assorted sea creatures was heavenly.

Since you are already translating and have an IT background, I would try to land a job with a software localization department or company. You have the perfect skill set for it.

I am a working translator in the US, so if you need additional advice on that, e-mail me through my profile, and I'll provide it.

Good luck!
DainaJ

PS Habe vergessen zu erwähnen, daß Du mir auch auf Deutsch schreiben kannst!

Share your expat experience and get in touch with other members

OR