Fraud or not fraud

Hi everyone.
My name is Daria, and I am from Kaliningrad, Russia. I got a job offer from one Malasyan company: 3 months probation and if okay then 2 years of permanent work contract. For probation period they proposed to come as a tourist, when they got my refusal agreed to proceed to a work visa process. But in the contract they sent, which is needed for this type of visa, the probation period became 6 months instead of 3. When i payed their attention to this misunderstanding, they stated that they need at least 2 months for work visa renewal, and if i insist on reducing probation to 3 months, I shall be obliged to pay for this visa myself and bear travel expenses upon completion of 3 months, if any. They say its their typical way of hiring people from everywhere.
I see that from the very beginning their behaviour is not honest. Or maybe they dont want any headache for themselves and try to find easy ways and safe money on me. If any suggestions or good advice, i would be very grateful to get some.  I heard about scams and sad stories about people trapped in difficulties being abroad. What is the typical legal way of hiring people for temporary work for 3 months followed by 2 or 5 years extension on a permant basis?

Reputed companies apply for employment pass from the outset with the employee outside Malaysia which is the immigration requirement as working without a permit is illegal. There is no such thing as a 3 month work permit. The minimum is one year.

If probation period is not successful then the work permit is just shortened and the employment ceases i.e  the company applies for a one-year employment pass and then cancels it.

The length of the probation period is a bit irrelevant as a company can terminate a contract at any time for reasons other than personal performance.

For your protection you should wait until you have the Stage I Visa Approval Letter before entering Malaysia to work. This is because there is always a chance immigration will refuse to grant a work permit including because the company may not have the required paid-up capital or a quota to hire a foreigner.

It's good to pay attention to T&Cs in any contract. So too immigration rules. Without a work permit it's not possible to get a tax number. As 28% tax is due until tax resident (which would only be possible in July 2019 ) being confident about the professionalism of the employer is important to you financially.

Thank you very much for your comment