Unemployment benefits as an Austrian

Hi All,

Me again! Hehe! Hope everyone is well. I have a question regarding the AMS and/or government assistance as an Austrian. The website is a bit confusing regarding the laws and people telling me different information so i'm confused.

I am trying to find out how it works regarding claiming benefits / government assistance for unemployment? Is my husband who is Austrian able to claim for this when we first get to Austria to help us while we find jobs or is this not how it works? I know in England you wait about 6 months before you can sign for help. He has worked in Austria previously a few years back but i don't know if that counts.

Does anyone know the laws or can perhaps provide me with a bit more insight?

Thanks in advance!

Yes he will be able to claim, he will hqve to make an appointment at his nearest AMS office, and fill out the forms he is given.

Hi there! Hope you're doing well?

So there is no way we can start the process this side? We have to wait until we get there?

Yes, doing well here, enjoying the weather. I hope you and husband are well?

You can do it online, but only if you have already made a claim before (if I remember correctly) The best bet is that you contact AMS yourself to get an exact answer. But you would still need to go in and sign document's and produce ID etc...

Lucky you! Weather is 0 degrees here today. Nice cold front because of snow in the Western Cape.

Thank you! Yea think phoning them is the only option as websites are helluva confusing.

:)