Help with laws regarding residence

Good Day,

I currently reside in South Africa. My husband (an Austrian) and I are wanting to immigrate to Austria for a better life.

I'm currently in the process of obtaining my UK passport (my mom is British). I recently found out that you are only entitled to stay in Austria for a maximum of 3 months on an EU passport. You must have secured a job within this time frame and have health insurance and sufficient funds. I am worried i won't be able to find a full-time job in that time frame as my German is poor and am not sure of the work place in Austria. Is it possible to meet all these requirements within 3 months? Also, would I be able to stay if my husband found employment but I didn't? He is fluent in German and English so i think he will find it easier to gain employment.

We have friends and family in Graz and Villach that we were hoping we could stay with in the beginning to help us get on our feet.

Please could someone offer some advice as i'm scared i get kicked out the country. Immigrating is overwhelming.

Welcome to the Forum :)

You won't be kicked out providing that your husband works and could support you. But you might be lucky and find employment. That's cleared that up. The sooner you move the better as Brexit is happening. The Job Centre web site will help you in finding employment > www.AMS.at

Thank you for the welcome and the advice! Just a lot of pressure right out the gate to get jobs. Hehe! Yea we are hoping to move by the end of the year to avoid the Brexit issue.

My German is near enough Zero, and I've been here 9 years (I am British) my other half is Austrian. I work now and again when I can find work that doesn't require German. But I was working when I first arrived so got my Anmeldebescheinigung without an issue. (Registration certificate to show that I had money to live, and health insurance etc...)

How long is the Registration certificate valid for? Do you have to renew it? Realistically how much money are they expecting you to earn for you to be considered able to live? Also is health insurance expensive?

Perhaps Vienna would be a better option for relocation as it is more multi-cultural compared to the other cities correct?

Sorry for all the questions. :D

Questions are fine, that's what this site is for. :)

Vienna is good but is kind of expensive to rent, but public transport is excellent so can commute into the city.

I don't know about Insurance as I get state health insurance. This is because I have had jobs in the past so it been paid for.

When you arrive, you have to register within 3 days to your town hall, everyone has to do this even Austrians. You have to do this every time you move. This will give a better understanding  > https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-austria

How much money? We own our house, so have no rent to pay, just bills to pay every quarter. So I would guess total per month approx. 950 Euros?

Hi Serqet1983...

I have always wanted to live in Austria myself but after so many years of traveling to this beautiful country it does not appear to financially feasible for us now that we are retired.

In any event, to get to your question.  As an American, our passports have the same restrictions as those from the EU.  However, if you plan on staying for longer than three months you must register for a residency visa.  You should do this with the proper authorities in your area in Austria within three days of arriving there with an intent to stay.  This will allow you to stay as long as you maintain your visa actively through the requirements set forth by the Austrian government.

Your friends in Graz should be able to tell you who you should see there.  If not, simply go to the local Polizei Station and an officer should be able to assist you.

I envy you and your husband.  I dream of returning to Austria but so much has changed since we began traveling there in 1993.  All our favorite haunts are now gone.  In Vienna, we used to always go to a little cafe in front of St. Stephan's Dom called "Express Am Stephansplatz.  I believe this little place had been there since WWI.  And yet it still had a bustling clientele with an atmosphere that hailed from the 1940s.  And they had great pastries and Melange.

The owners mus have wanted to finally retire so they sold the place to a person who knocked down the old, history laden inner structures and put up a fancy wine-bar.  In subsequent travels we would always pass the outside of this new place and never saw more than one or two people inside.  We were not surprised, considering that what the new owner did was eliminate the large clientele that the original Kaffeehaus had.

By our last trip the history and traditional atmosphere that had filled this beautiful city was all but gone.

Everything changes but not all change is good...  :-(

Steve Naidamast wrote:

Your friends in Graz should be able to tell you who you should see there.  If not, simply go to the local Polizei Station and an officer should be able to assist you.

You just go to your townhall within the first working 3 days.

For the Anmeldebescheinigung you go to the district town hall