L@@king to Volunteer as Paramedic in Chiang Mai

Hello All,
I am a U.S. citizen that has travelled to CNX frequently over the years.   I am under 50 (46 years old) and retired from the U.S. military.  Wish I could simply get a retirement visa but Thailand seems to be sticklers about the age 50 part.  I am also a trained paramedic, in the USA, and I have worked in this field around the world....not Thailand.

I usually travel on tourist exempt status visas and do the visa run deal for the 4-5 months that I am there.  I am looking to stay for a longer period this time and I would like to volunteer both as a way to utilize some of my time as well as stay under an appropriate visa.

I have reached out (by email) to two ambulance services in Chiang Mai but I have not received a reply.  I would like to volunteer in this field, if at all possible.  I am posting here in hopes that someone might have a lead or contact that I can start out with.

I am planning on returning to CNX the first week of October and returning to the States in April 2019.  I am strictly looking to volunteer and I do not require assistance beyond this.  I have transportation, housing and other essentials covered.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Marcel

Unless you speak Thai I doubt you will have chance of being part of ambulance crew even as a volunteer.

Back in 2010, give or take a couple years, I do remember a foreigner that was volunteer on ambulance crew in Bangkok and he could speak Thai I was told.   The ambulance service was connected to Ruam Katanyu Foundation in Bangkok.

Not fluent but I can communicate at a general conversation level.  I would agree that getting your foot in the door would require a strong handle on Thai.  However, medicine is medicine and injuries are injuries these things universal in all parts of the world no matter the language.

Any thoughts on people I should reach out to?

Thanks!

The article in link below might be the same guy that was pointed out to me on one of my visits to Ruam Katanyu Foundation to make donation.  I hope it provides info that might help with your quest.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/05/2 … index.html

I'm interested please contact me:***

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Just an update.  I am here in Chiang Mai now.   I did get a spot on an ambulance service here.  Language is a work in progress between team members but not an issue with hospital staff as English is very common in medicine.
For me it took a little persistence to secure a spot.  Their concern was my safety as this is rather dangerous work.  But after much talk about my experience I was able to overcome their concern. 
The work is very rewarding and I look forward to going in.  I love helping out and being a service to those in need.
Thanks for the inputs given previously!

Awesome! Good to hear you persisted in your vision and worked to make your dreams come true!

I one day imagined doing something like this but did not think it would be possible because of language and red tape but you have proved it is possible!

Cheers!