Going Ex Pat Soon!!

I am seriously thinking of going ex pat very soon and Chiang Mai is on the short list.  My thought is just to get there on a flight/hotel package, find a place to live and go from there.  I will sell what little furniture (for a 1 BR apt) I have, including TV, sound system and PC before leaving.  I understand it's cheaper just get new stuff there, including clothes.  So I will arrive with a carry-on and one suitcase of clothing.  Am I way off base or is this viable??  I get $1040 from Soc Sec and I understand I can live nicely there on only that if necessary, though there will be additional family income.  Any constructive input/advice from the ex pat community would be most appreciated.  I have contacted Siam Legal and they claim that they can handle all matters from their offices, including income and conduct, for residency status.

Hi dsgittin, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

Thank you for your introduction on the forum. I'm sure other members will contribute on the discussion.

I wish you good luck
Christine

A person's lifestyle will determine whether $1040 is enough. You need to mention type of lifestyle you desire before you will get a helpful response.

Residency status is not easy to obtain.  Depending on your age and marital status you may have much better options provided you meet requirements.

Straydog,

Thanks for the response.  At least it tells me that I can get by on my Soc Sec only, if necessary.  Total income will be closer to 2500 USD monthly.  I guess I will see what kind of life I can have there for that.  Pretty good, I'm guessing.  I'm not looking to "jet set."  A nice apt/bungalow with domestic help, some local travel, some fun, go fishing now and then, etc.  Nothing extravagant.  I figure 600+ USD per month for the health insurance since I have a pre-existing condition, 300 - 500 USD for rent.  Ideally, I would like to live the warmer half of the year in Chiang Mai and the not-so-warm half on one of the islands off the coast between Bangkok and the Cambodian border.  Certainly, I can do better there than here in So. Calif.  This is all pure conjecture on my part, so that's why I am seeking the input from the ex pat community.  My research tells me that Siam Legal is legit and fees are reasonable, and they don't see a problem with residency status.

You should be able to live okay on $2500 a month provided you also like Thai food.  If you eat out in restaurants serving western foods it can add up quickly.

I'm not well versed on residency status but I think you must have a job and pay taxes.  Siam Legal or you may be referring to a Non-Immigrant Visa type O-A for purpose of retirement.  If that is the case it can be done by you without using third person.

Straydog

It is for retirement.  Thanks again.  There is a Thai restaurant close by me.  I will have to go try it soon!!

dsgittin wrote:

Straydog

It is for retirement.  Thanks again.  There is a Thai restaurant close by me.  I will have to go try it soon!!

Since for retirement get Non-Immigrant Visa Type O-A (for purpose of retirement).  It can be obtained from Royal Thailand Consulate in your home country.  This will allow you to stay in Thailand for one year. During the last month of that stay you apply for extension for purpose of retirement.  Very easy and does not require paying company to arrange for you.

You didn't say which country you are from but here is link for requirements as posted on Thai Consulate in LA, USA.

http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_ … link_id=48

Straydog,

Don't I need proof of income?  That may be a sticky point since only my Soc Sec is what there is to show and it may not show sufficient income.  The family income is regular but "informal," so to speak.  Also, there is the matter of a "good conduct" letter from my local police dept, photos, etc.  I guess I could go to the Thai consulate and get all this info.  It just seemed easier to show up in Chiang Mai, walk in to Siam Legal, then let them handle it all.  I gotta do some more homework!  Again, thanks for the input.

dsgittin wrote:

Straydog,

It just seemed easier to show up in Chiang Mai, walk in to Siam Legal, then let them handle it all.

If you don't mind paying the 20k or so baht its your choice.  If you can't meet the requirements how is Siam Legal going to do it unless they pay people off which is not legal and could come back to bite you.

Another option is get tourist visa from Thai consulate and then convert once in Thailand. Far fewer requirements once in Thailand.

I hope you have provisions for increasing your monthly income over time because you will need it due to inflation and currency fluctuations. When I arrived in Thailand 7+ years ago the exchange rate was 44 baht for a US dollar now it is 30.  Who knows what the future holds.  Most other western currencies have seen same type of drop.  When it comes in inflation prices have gone up and they will continue upward as Thai's demand higher wages which will push up production cost.

Many expats have been forced to return home because they did not factor in problems I mentioned.

My original plan was to just come to Chiang Mai as a tourist, get a visa on arrival, then work on permanent status as you suggest.  Thanks for the heads up on currency rates and inflation.  Hadn't considered that but I think I have it covered.  Last I checked the exchange rate was 32+ baht to the dollar.  Today it is 30.193!!  BTW, Santa Ana CA is in the USA.