Live and work in Chiang Mai

Hello everybody,
my name is Silvia and together with my husband (Matteo) I am planning to live and work in Chiang Mai for 1 or 2 years (or more perhaps).
We are both Italians but we live in London for the last 8 years.
We speak really good English as well as Italian.
I am writing because we are looking for a job opportunity in Chiang Mai and I hope someone will be able to help us .
I work in the Travel industry for more than 8 years. I covered various roles such as Reservation Agent, Destination Expert and I have been working as Sales Executive for more than 2 years. I am looking for a suitable job in Hospitality/Tourism (Hotels, Inbound Tour Operator/Travel Agency etc..)
My husband Matteo is an amazing Sous Chef that has been working in the Food industry for more than 8 years. He cooks Italian/French as well as International food for the Managing Directors of big Corporations based in central London. He is looking for a suitable job as a chef in Hotels/Resorts or restaurants.
We will be leaving London by mid September and we will be able to work immediately if need to.
Alternatively we will travel through South East Asia for few months until a suitable opportunity will became available for us in Chiang Mai.
I hope to hear from someone soon.
Thank you for now.
Silvia & Matteo

Silvia, regarding your job hunts, I'd recommend you search/post in the JOBS section to connect with possible employers. :)

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Opportunities for foreigners are not easy except for english native speaker as teacher, or well qualified people in area where the Thai can not compete, after some specific call center who recruit foreigners speaking foreigners language, or BOI ( board of investment companies )

Silvia Nucci wrote:

We will be leaving London by mid September and we will be able to work immediately if need to.

It is not possible to work immediately but a Thai citizen can start working same day, as you need a work permit and not allowed to work until it has been accepted, long process which can take some months in some cases.

Except some specific jobs, for example like teacher, for the others the company need to pay the foreigner min 50,000 THB per month depends on nationality ( when a local ca be  pay 15,000 THB per month ) plus they need to recruit 4 locals Thai for each foreign, and need a capital of 2M THB for each work permit, plus pay for work permit, do the calculation and you will understand that it is not for small structure, and only for a well qualified people they can not find in Thai community.

Other points without speaking Thai in the both job you specify it will not be possible to be integrated in a team, and you will feel excluded.

You can start sending your CV to all hotels / restaurants / Tour operator in Chiang Mai to judge by yourself the return you will get, Chiang Mai is small regarding Bangkok and opportunities in these area can be limited

Anyway, good luck to you both.

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please do not promote your offer on the forum. You may do so by dropping a free detailed advert in the following section : Business partners in Chiang Mai
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Dear Cthierrymk,
Thank you for your reply and I fully understand your point.
I think I will now focus my attention to other destinations.
Regards.
Silvia