English speaking couple looking to meet expat couple

Hello. My wife and I are retired English speaking expats new to Chiang Mai.

We are interested in meeting other retired English speaking expats 50 - 65  for lunches/friendship who live near the Promenada Mall or on the east side of Chiang Mai.

We are both US citizens. I speak English only. My wife is Thai and she is fluent in both English and Thai.

NOTE: This posting has been moved to Handy Tools / Classifieds / Personals / Friendship to allow viewers to contact us.

There is club for expats in Chiang Mai  www.chiangmaiexpatsclub.com

Thank you Stumpy.

We are members of the Chiang Mai Expats Club and have attended a number of their events since moving here.

Unfortunately most people we have met there so far are either much older than us, live in a downtown areas far from us, or they are only interested in meeting new drinking partners.

So I placed this item on the forum, hoping to meet some English speaking people near to us who may enjoy meeting over a lunch, etc. 

We will continue to go to CEC functions to try to make new friends.

I couldn't help but smile a bit at your assessment of retired expats. :top:   If you fit into a specific demographic you will be overwhelmed with likeminded drinking partners but if you have slightly more discerning taste in companions it takes a great deal more effort to find interesting people.  It takes time and effort, plus a willingness to travel some distance as people are often spread over great distances.  I usually have to drive sixty kilometers or more to have lunch with friends so we combine shopping or other errands to make the trip more efficient.

Age dose not really matter if all have the same interest. We have friends from 20 some odd years old to people who are well over 70.  Please look up Chiang Mai Pickleball group. It is a fun group of people both Thais and Foreigners .  We play every Monday, Wednesdays, and Fridays. We all can teach you guys, and we have all the equipment. Also I'm in CHarge of the Expat Ladies Lunch group. Email is ladiesgotolunch@gmail.com. My husband is in charge of the men's group his email address is men4lunch@gmail.com.  Where do you guys live?  There are a lot of activities here in Chiang Mai to meet new people. We are quit active, but if your not then there are other groups also. Susie

VillageFarang,

Thank you for your input on this.  I understand all you said. And I certainly understand that it takes "time and effort".

Part of the reality or difficulty for me is that I am a new driver in Thailand. I have been driving here for only 3 months.

It has been a huge eye-opener and adjustment for me to witness the aggressive and reckless way many of the drivers drive on roads like the Outer Ring Road (RT 121), RT 118, RT 11, etc. and the need to be very alert at all times to the dangers they often create.

Parking is also challenging for me --- both in finding parking in downtown areas and the very small parking spaces where there is parking like in most of the parking garages where I have to back into a space in order to use it.

So I usually try to stay closer to where I now live if possible. I KNOW this limits my wife and I opportunity-wise. I am adjusting and accepting more and more these new realities, and understand that I will have to venture further out and will have to enhance my parking skills.

Thanks again.

Stop worrying about the driving, I find that I close my eyes and it seems to work out fine. I find some of the CEC gatherings a bit stuffy. We love to host house parties, and are very active, in going places, and walking or hiking.  But if your strictly into the nightly bar scene then we are not your group of people. Mind you we love our wine, and cocktails, just not into going out all the time.  Our gatherings at the house or other peoples house is fine for us. Hope you find what your looking for . Please feel free to contact us. Susie   oh by the way if you have such an age issue we are of the age.