How to receive US Mail in Santiago de los Caballeros

Hi, folks... I could not find a lot of info on mail, except for a bit on shipping companies. I found a Mail Boxes, Etc site on the web that directed me to a site that I could sign up for a postal address in Miami, FL and have mail forwarded via MBE to an office near my home in Santiago. I thought it might make sense to check with you guys to see if I could get some advice on...

1. costs of various forwarding services, especially MBE (no info available on the web or by phone)
2. your results/experience with any forwarding service,

To be clear, I wish to avoid paying exorbitant sums to forward circulars and other junk mail.

Your advice will be appreciated. Suerte -CapnRick

Ahoy Captain,  Time to take in a couple of reef points when it comes to Mail. I've used EPS for over 15 years. A friend forwards only the good stuff to their mailing center. Small document packages, less tan a pound, cost less than 2 bucks, same to send. No fee to join either. Will deliver to your place for a large tip. They have ben reliable over the years & will call when something arrives if requested. This is how they operate in Sosua.  Good luck, it can be frustrating, I know.  Takes 10 days to two weeks whether coming or going.

I  have used both CPS and BM Cargo.  I am happier with BM cargo as they charge by % of a pound,  You can have them  filter your mail for junk and catalogues and not forward those to you honey.

I used MailBoxes Etc. when I lived near Santiago.

Thanks, tink n planner... I am investigating those suggestions of yours. I found an EPS site in Miami and one fairly convenient to our home in Santiago. Problem: the signup page won't complete due to no cedula. I plan to visit the Miami EPS site in person to see if someone there can help me. The BMCargo site seems to require both a cedula n something called an Electoral. Meanwhile, any further advice or ideas would be appreciated. Before I send off my fingerprints to the FBI, I need an address for them to send the antecedentes criminales for my temp res application.

I tried MBE/Mail Boxes, Etc, but when I spoke with the owner of the only apparent office in Miami, she said she had taken her MBE franchise private and was no longer affiliated with MBE.

I don't anticipate using the mail forwarding facility for packages... just for mail. If I'm gonna need a cedula to get a cedula, I can see how this could get p-r-e-t-t-y expensive. I know I saw something on the forum about this, but I believe the result was inconclusive/conflicting info as is sometimes the case. Also, I forgot what topic the discussion was under (sheepish grin).

Suerte

Thanks, tink n planner... I am investigating those suggestions of yours. I found an EPS site in Miami and one fairly convenient to our home in Santiago. Problem: the signup page won't complete due to no cedula. I plan to visit the Miami EPS site in person to see if someone there can help me. The BMCargo site seems to require both a cedula n something called an Electoral. Meanwhile, any further advice or ideas would be appreciated. Before I send off my fingerprints to the FBI, I need an address for them to send the antecedentes criminales for my temp res application.

I tried MBE/Mail Boxes, Etc, but when I spoke with the owner of the only apparent office in Miami, she said she had taken her MBE franchise private and was no longer affiliated with MBE.

I don't anticipate using the mail forwarding facility for packages... just for mail. If I'm gonna need a cedula to get a cedula, I can see how this could get p-r-e-t-t-y expensive. I know I saw something on the forum about this, but I believe the result was inconclusive/conflicting info as is sometimes the case. Also, I forgot what topic the discussion was under (sheepish grin).

Suerte

I use EPS. No Cedula - just needed passport, just went to the local office in Sosua and signed up.

Exactly. You don't need a cedula they will open with a passport.

Good info, folks. Thanks. I appreciate it n I will just wait til I am back in Santiago to sign up. Suerte

A passport 15 years ago at EPS in Sosua. Main thing is letting all contacts know your new forwarding address. Sure ends junk mail FAST!!

Ive been following this thread for a bit and want to clarify.  If we move permanently to DR can we get mail from the US sent directly to our DR address or do we have to set up the forwarding apparatus described above?

Set up the forwarding or you wont receive your mail. It often goes missing.....like forever.

Thanks for the tip!   I was afaraid of that!

A pain in the ass, but the only way to go. There isn't a real postal service here.  Once you set it up, it isn't so bad. I've been using  it for 16 years, both to send & receive. It worked while I was in the states for personal reasons.  Cumbersome, but works.